Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 4-4-2

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Nearly a season in for many of our new players it seems to me many suit a different formation to the one we’re playing - both Andone and Locadia look like “second strikers” or “better Baldocks”. But we don’t ever play 2 up top. Have we bought the wrong type of players or is Chris playing the wrong system?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There was a gaping hole behind Murray and it looked bigger when Andone was on and started moving wide and all over the place. Locadia seemed to take up that position when he came on. A faster more physical player than Gross, but maybe without the assists. We have been missing a no.10 Baldock type player for 2 years. I agree we looked better with two up top. We should be starting that way for our next 3 home games. Alas I don’t think Hughton will.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Exactly my point - we suddenly looked like we had a good attacking shape

Coincided with more urgency, quicker transitions and even when we lost the ball - quick press. Was great to watch, think we may see more of this. I hope Hughton's seen what we can do in a competitive match against arguably the best team in the world at the moment. Let's take that and do it against Bournemouth and Cardiff and I reckon 6 points is easily obtainable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it looked almost 4-2-4 with intent, i like. but couldnt sustain 90 minutes of football like that with the players available. the recruitment points to 4-3-3, or else 4-5-1 with a w shape midfield. points about missing a no10 are valid either way, if not a specific position the fact we dont link well with the forward in any formation, because we tend to defend deep.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Nearly a season in for many of our new players it seems to me many suit a different formation to the one we’re playing - both Andone and Locadia look like “second strikers” or “better Baldocks”. But we don’t ever play 2 up top. Have we bought the wrong type of players or is Chris playing the wrong system?

A bit like we must give it a go , 4-4-2 seems to be on a carousel and today its stopped and jumped to NSC.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I hope Hughton's seen what we can do in a competitive match against arguably the best team in the world at the moment. .

Always amazed that the idea that Hughton has coached, and watched probably hundreds and hundreds of matches yet the merits (or not) of 4-4-2 against teams like City or Cardiff or Rotherham or Spurs (and 4-5-1 or 4-3-3) wouldn't have occurred to him.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Always amazed that the idea that Hughton has coached, and watched probably hundreds and hundreds of matches yet the merits (or not) of 4-4-2 against teams like City or Cardiff or Rotherham or Spurs (and 4-5-1 or 4-3-3) wouldn't have occurred to him.

But the point is whether the communication between him and the recruitment team is good enough. If you take the last 3 games against different types of opposition, in all of them we just don’t function well as an attacking force. Proud as I am of the effort yesterday, the fact is we’ve averaged one shot on target for the last 3 games. The centre forward (whether Murray or Andone) is too isolated, our wide players are effectively playing as wingers as part of a 4-5-1: if we want to play 4-3-3 with two attackers playing off a central striker, then we’ve bought the wrong players. For example, where does Locadia fit in any of the systems we’ve played recently (clue: he definitely isn’t a winger or good enough in the air to play as a lone striker, but I do think there’s a decent player there).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
But the point is whether the communication between him and the recruitment team is good enough. If you take the last 3 games against different types of opposition, in all of them we just don’t function well as an attacking force. Proud as I am of the effort yesterday, the fact is we’ve averaged one shot on target for the last 3 games. The centre forward (whether Murray or Andone) is too isolated, our wide players are effectively playing as wingers as part of a 4-5-1: if we want to play 4-3-3 with two attackers playing off a central striker, then we’ve bought the wrong players. For example, where does Locadia fit in any of the systems we’ve played recently (clue: he definitely isn’t a winger or good enough in the air to play as a lone striker, but I do think there’s a decent player there).

So the recruitment isn't working. We can''t play 4-3-3. Locadia can't play anywhere (for us at least). We never play 4-4-2 except when we do , but we don't have the players for it anyway.
And most of all Hughton is seemingly unaware of any of it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Yet he did it yesterday. So what's your point?

Your point was that "I hope Hughton's seen what we can do" in the last 10 minutes of a match when you switch to 4-4-2. Presumably implying that he's learnt something completely new.
My point was that he didn't.

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
Your point was that "I hope Hughton's seen what we can do" in the last 10 minutes of a match when you switch to 4-4-2. Presumably implying that he's learnt something completely new.
My point was that he didn't.

Presumably - the problem with your 'point'. We haven't had the opportunity to be really adventurous this season to experiment with combinations of players in a competitive match.

This isn't a case of "learning" but observing how something works under a particular set of circumstances.

With yesterday's performance, it something to consider.

Presumably, judged off your point; Hughton has nothing to learn. He has learnt it already...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
isnt the hole between Murray and the midfield normally filled by Gross when he is fit, which hopefully will be on Saturday against Bournemouth. We have missed him tremendously.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
So the recruitment isn't working. We can''t play 4-3-3. Locadia can't play anywhere (for us at least). We never play 4-4-2 except when we do , but we don't have the players for it anyway.
And most of all Hughton is seemingly unaware of any of it.

And our piss poor attacking play and lack of any shots on goal is presumably not a problem?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There was a gaping hole behind Murray and it looked bigger when Andone was on and started moving wide and all over the place. Locadia seemed to take up that position when he came on. A faster more physical player than Gross, but maybe without the assists. We have been missing a no.10 Baldock type player for 2 years. I agree we looked better with two up top. We should be starting that way for our next 3 home games. Alas I don’t think Hughton will.

He may have to. If we find ourselves in shit or bust country, like second half yesterday, in the actual league.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
With Izzy & Gross being unfit for most of the season I don't think we've had much choice but to change formation?

It’s remarkable how unsuccessful the mid season switch to 4 5 1 has been. Am not going to dignify it by calling it 4 3 3

With Izzy & Gross being unfit for most of the season I don't think we've had much choice but to change formation?

Given his goals in the Dutch league, would have been interesting to try Ali in the 10 position

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here