Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 4-4-2

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
With Izzy & Gross being unfit for most of the season I don't think we've had much choice but to change formation?

Yes, this hasn't featured nearly enough in analyses on here. They were our best players in the second half of last season (and Gross for the whole of it). We really haven't had many games in which Gross has been fit, and Izquierdo hasn't been fully fit at all this season.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
Muzza and Florin can't play together so why not try Locardia and Andone instead of sacrificing Andone every time ?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm not convinced that 'Muzza' and 'Florin' can't play together. You could have had a prime Shearer/Sutton pertnership upfront in that first half and it would have been the same outcome.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
I don't think we have the legs in midfield to make it work, regardless of who you pair upfront.

Indeed, a 4 in midfield which includes Stephens gets overan far too easily, especially when the wingers dont pitch in and the full backs are reticent to move forwards.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The lack of understanding is far deeper than a game of football or language. Formation was more like 4-1-2. And some random ones.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Indeed, a 4 in midfield which includes Stephens gets overan far too easily, especially when the wingers dont pitch in and the full backs are reticent to move forwards.

And Izquierdo is so out of sorts, either injury, form or a combination of both that we couldn't compete in midfield. We made Shelvey look like Pirlo in the first half, with the amount of time and space we afforded him.

NorthStandSteward

Jan 14, 2014
And Izquierdo is so out of sorts, either injury, form or a combination of both that we couldn't compete in midfield. We made Shelvey look like Pirlo in the first half, with the amount of time and space we afforded him.

Honestly thought Izzy was pissed today, having played 5 a-side drunk myself I recognise all the signs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hughton's been left thinking that 442 didn't work, but would it have been better had March been on from the start? It wasn't just the formation that changed the game, it was March.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hughton's been left thinking that 442 didn't work, but would it have been better had March been on from the start? It wasn't just the formation that changed the game, it was March.

I disagree. We needed a 3rd central midfielder to compete with the Newcastle midfield. Shelvey had the freedom of the pitch throughout the first half and they were winning every challenge in their too.

Having just the two central midfielders with out of form or out of position wingers was a recipe for disaster.

March was great but we had to get a foot hold in the game to give him the ball.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I disagree. We needed a 3rd central midfielder to compete with the Newcastle midfield. Shelvey had the freedom of the pitch throughout the first half and they were winning every challenge in their too.

Having just the two central midfielders with out of form or out of position wingers was a recipe for disaster.
You might be right about the centre of midfield, but you mention having out of form or out of position winders in the first half as being part of the problem. Had March and Knocky been on the wing, surely they'd have done better, giving Newcastle more to think about, making us less overrun in the centre?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

March was great but we had to get a foot hold in the game to give him the ball.

Partly true and partly not. Our right side was null and void in the first half an hour with how CH set it up and that allowed Newcastle to overload us in key areas whilst only having to worry about the opposite flank (even though Izzy is clearly very short of fitness).

Second half with the changes we didn’t particularly have an extra midfielder; Gross was in his more natural position as a second striker and we condensed the play much more whilst also then offering an outlet on the right as well as the left with the introduction of March. But, at the same time, March taking the game to them every time he got the ball pushed them back and allowed our midfield to take control of the game, which was in stark contrast to Gross in the first half.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You might be right about the centre of midfield, but you mention having out of form or out of position winders in the first half as being part of the problem. Had March and Knocky been on the wing, surely they'd have done better, giving Newcastle more to think about, making us less overrun in the centre?

I'm pretty certain starting with either Knockeart, March or both would have give us far more in the first half but I still believe the biggest difference was us being able to compete in midfield, press Shelvey to an extent he had very little impact in the second half.

So for me the formation change was the primary reason for our improvement but yes absolutely having wingers who could pose a threat definitely helped as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Gros is not a winger and out often out of position, Andone didnt really know if to cover or stay. March and Andone would be ideal. i dont know where Gros fits in the squad im afraid and best to move on so we can get fund another proper forward.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Finally some may realise 4-4-2 isn’t an effective formation with our current squad.
Nothing wrong with 442 as long as the 4 players in midfield move the ball quickly and have the confidence to dribble past the opposition. Bissouma, March and Knockaert could all excell in a 442. What we lack is the creative centre midfield who can do the same, plus dictate a faster tempo and feed through balls into the strikers.

Stale Dephens is not suited to 442.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gros is not a winger and out often out of position, Andone didnt really know if to cover or stay. March and Andone would be ideal. i dont know where Gros fits in the squad im afraid and best to move on so we can get fund another proper forward.
Really? He's essential any time we want 4411, and there's no other formation we've had much success with in the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here