Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anthony Knockaert - take a bow

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
How often is it that a Man of the Match is given to a player of the losing team? He was utterly, utterly brilliant yesterday. As the game progressed he just wasn't scared of the likes of Raheem Sterling. That back-heel was a thing of beauty. He didn't give up until the final whistle was blown.

I know Anthony doesn't do it week in, week out. But my word he's showed up in some of the biggest games this season. He wears his heart on his sleeve and he loves the Albion. And I love him. :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How often is it that a Man of the Match is given to a player of the losing team? He was utterly, utterly brilliant yesterday. As the game progressed he just wasn't scared of the likes of Raheem Sterling. That back-heel was a thing of beauty. He didn't give up until the final whistle was blown.

I know Anthony doesn't do it week in, week out. But my word he's showed up in some of the biggest games this season. He wears his heart on his sleeve and he loves the Albion. And I love him. :albion2:

Agreed, highlight was when he very nearly ran through and around 5 City players. Shame that so often he didn’t have a player to pass to after his trickery got him away and the one time he did he didn’t pass it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good performance but still a bit frustrating yesterday.....as usual several times turned into trouble rather than playing an easy pass. We were all a bit surprised at the MOM award TBH. Would’ve been Dunk for us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes, the heartbeat of our team.

Agreed, highlight was when he very nearly ran through and around 5 City players. Shame that so often he didn’t have a player to pass to after his trickery got him away and the one time he did he didn’t pass it

Quite.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must be different to most as I dont think that he was MOM by his display, but granted he had a few fleeting moments of inspiration. I thought that our best players by a mile were Stephens and Propper.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I must be different to most as I dont think that he was MOM by his display, but granted he had a few fleeting moments of inspiration. I thought that our best players by a mile were Stephens and Propper.

Stephens, Propper and Duncan Duffy had great games, but Knocky was everywhere. Where I was sitting, we’d all decided he was our man of the match but were still surprised that it wasn’t given to a City player - even though not one of them stood out.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Good performance but still a bit frustrating yesterday.....as usual several times turned into trouble rather than playing an easy pass. We were all a bit surprised at the MOM award TBH. Would’ve been Dunk for us.

Agree with you. I was very surprised my the MOM award. A frustrating performance interspersed with one or two good bits. Usual Knockaert.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
After a somewhat disappointing season last year his performances have definitely stepped up this year and shown he is PL class. Just need him to show it more consistently, and at 27 he's still got a good few years playing at this level yet to keep improving.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Good performance but still a bit frustrating yesterday.....as usual several times turned into trouble rather than playing an easy pass.
He did turn into trouble a lot, because as soon as he tried to get anywhere City put 3 players on him, and (due to us having to defend so much) his teammates weren't in decent forward positions for him to pass to. Also he was trying to make something happen, and that typically wouldn't happen if he simply made a simple pass back, which would end up with Ryan and then be booted back to City.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I love watching the skills and passion and thought Knockaert was very good yesterday, but he does frustrate me when he sees 3 incoming defenders as a 'challenge' to take on, rather than as opportunity to pass the 3 players out of the game.

*edit* And just so I can disagree with Trig, there's not always a forwards or sideways pass on, but even when there is, he still suffers a little from the Kazengas (head down :wink:)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Whilst I would have gone for Dunk or Montoya what I really liked about Knockeart was that he was prepared to have a go and wasn’t afraid to mix it with them. His attitude seemed to give the rest of the players the confidence and belief that we could compete.

He also put in a hell of a shift over 90 minutes. I’d love to see distance covered and number of sprints.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And how many goals did he score or create ? That is what he is on the pitch for
As a Brighton fan you'd know that Chris demands more from his wingers than scoring and assisting.
funny how everyone outside the Albion say the MOM award was a sympathy vote
Maybe it was, but so what? City are the best team in the country, one of the best in Europe, and it's difficult playing against them. He did well against them, and if you need more than that you're going to be disappointed a lot.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Our stand out player for the big occasions: he played without fear and showed a willingness to take players on, something that very few Brighton players do against Premier League opposition - let alone against Man City.

No, he is not at the top of his game every week, and, yes, he does hold on to the ball for too long some times, but he is our best winger by some margin. For anyone in any doubt, just check out the stats.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

You would have preferred Solly?.

Knocky was excellent. Set the standard right from the first min when he pressed and others didn't, so he was waving his arms to get the rest of the team going.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I think AK is definitely prem league quality. Problem for him is that sadly many around him are not.

Yes, yesterday proved that didn't it, after all we were only playing Manchester City who are only still in with a chance of 4 trophies.
Maybe if we were playing the Brazil team of the 70's I could argue your point, but I can't.
We were League 1 at best yesterday, an embarrassment against s very poor side with a very thin squad.
I don't know why I bother with Brighton, honest I dont.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You would have preferred Solly?.

Knocky was excellent. Set the standard right from the first min when he pressed and others didn't, so he was waving his arms to get the rest of the team going.

No I wouldn't but didn't think he did enough good things for long enough or often enough as I have said my top 3 were Stephens and Propper followed closely by Montoya.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here