Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Did you at any stage think we might win yesterday?

Did you, at any stage think we could win yesterday?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Before or during the game, not hoped we’d win but REALLY believed we could?

Sadly I didn’t which kind of put a damper on the day. Not taking away from the absolutely fantastic display we put in or a really enjoyable game but I just never believed we could pull it off :down: We were immense as were the fans.

Holding out and playing well having gone a goal down so early showed real character but I felt throughout that City could easily have gone up a gear or two if required.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sadly I didn’t which kind of put a damper on the day. Not taking away from the absolutely fantastic display we put it or a really enjoyable game but I just don’t never believed we could pull it off :down: We were immense as were the fans.

No, but if anything that made me enjoy the day more - as I was relaxed rather than being intense for 90 minutes.
At one point, at 0-1, I did find myself thinking - any minute, any minute....... and I do believe if we had made extra time we would have won - (well, I like to think so).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First 30 mins of the second half an equaliser def looked possible, we were on top........but still really failed to create much in the way of clear-cut chances.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I felt pretty much the same as I did watching the Millwall game, resigned to defeat, albeit I had more hope agains Citeh since we played so much better. I wan't remotely distraught after the game, though. We will go again; this really wasn't our best last chance for glory.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
No, but if anything that made me enjoy the day more - as I was relaxed rather than being intense for 90 minutes.
At one point, at 0-1, I did find myself thinking - any minute, any minute....... and I do believe if we had made extra time we would have won - (well, I like to think so).
I agree. I think if we'd been out there another 20 minutes we'd have equalised.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Wouldve been nice to nick an equaliser, into ET then win on penalties.
Make that jugged eared tw@t earn his money a tad more :lol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do you know, I'm going to say 'yes'. There was that ten minute spell between about the 50th and 60th minutes where we were really having a go. I thought if we could get the equaliser we could nick a second and then hang on for grim death for an unlikely win.

Wishful thinking probably as City would probably have found an extra gear (or three) and won it back. Still, 'hope springs eternal' as they say and you've got to be positive.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Sadly I didn’t which kind of put a damper on the day. Not taking away from the absolutely fantastic display we put in or a really enjoyable game but I just never believed we could pull it off :down: We were immense as were the fans.

Holding out and playing well having gone a goal down so early showed real character but I felt throughout that City could easily have gone up a gear or two if required.

I don't believe that city we're purposefully playing in second gear, not at all. Indeed I felt the momentum was such that if we got one, and we certainly could have got one, then we could have a got a second.

We didn't make many chances, but we created many opportunities for chances, free kicks, corners, ball at a wingers feet on the edge of the box, long range shots 3 or 4 times - at those instances anything could have happened, but in the ultimate reckoning City defended well.

We were never out of that game

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't believe that city we're purposefully playing in second gear, not at all. Indeed I felt the momentum was such that if we got one, and we certainly could have got one, then we could have a got a second.

We didn't make many chances, but we created many opportunities for chances, free kicks, corners, ball at a wingers feet on the edge of the box, long range shots 3 or 4 times - at those instances anything could have happened, but in the ultimate reckoning City defended well.

We were never out of that game

Agreed we were in the game throughout, we did much better than I thought we would.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The sad part is that even during our best spell we didnt look like we would score a goal so I didnt think so at any time. I thought that the telling point was how casually Ederson passed the ball out of his area with ease and under no pressure.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The sad part is that even during our best spell we didnt look like we would score a goal so I didnt think so at any time. I thought that the telling point was how casually Edersion passed the ball out of his area with easen and under no pressure.

He is going to do this all day long no matter what

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The sad part is that even during our best spell we didnt look like we would score a goal so I didnt think so at any time. I thought that the telling point was how casually Edersion passed the ball out of his area with easen and under no pressure.

I was getting quite agitated that we didn’t put him under pressure, he was that cocky on the ball, who knows what would have happened if we’d run at him when he was trying to stroke the ball around like a midfielder.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
When their defender cleared away from a Murray tap in, I did believe we could get something from the game. We did well, our team played better than lots of people give credit for, we stopped city getting many opportunities and in the second half they were mostly restricted to long range shots. That is good defending.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For me around 85 minutes when we were winning a few free kicks I thought "if we can get one here they might be shocked and we can nick it".

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
For me around 85 minutes when we were winning a few free kicks I thought "if we can get one here they might be shocked and we can nick it".
This. I turned to the bloke behind me and said "we're going to score, I can feel it".

Turns out it was wind and he wasn't to happy with the stench, it mades his eye brows fall off.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Thought we would get smashed before the game. Was certain we would after the early goal, but at about 75 mins I thought we might get a goal back, hold on through ET and have a crack at penalties. I never expected to think that. They are such a good team and so much better than us, but it just seemed to be there as we moved to the last 15 mins or so.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not really no. Even if we had managed an equaliser, I think City could have quite easily stepped up a gear and still won.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Narrow margins, if Walker had seen red, if Laporte hadn't managed to get that clearance over the bar with his wrong foot.

Before the game i thought 3-0 to City, but by half time i was thinking we're still in this, and as the second half wore on i thought if we can nick one we're gonna win this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here