Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Red Card

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Isn't there a disputes procedure. I know it won't do us any good but to improve VAR for the future and some pain for the bods that bottled it and a 3 match ban for Walker. Good for Jahanbakhsh great reaction but ultimately that's why we get people rolling on the ground.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The only reason I can think of that it wasn’t is because of the hack and jump onto Walkers back just before that by Ali J and the ref saw it as both yellows or both reds.

That’s pushing it to say the least.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I must say I was pretty scared when the VAR thing went up on the screen that they might somehow have been looking at Ali J. Wouldn't have put it past them.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Nice to have an apology from the authorities I think they got this one wrong.
However we still may not of won this match as city would have been hard to break down but would have made it an exciting match.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Lewis Dunk: "I don’t know how no one could see it was a sending-off. I could see it from 60 yards away, it’s a sending-off. VAR...what's the point of it if you’re not going to make decisions in big games like this. It has cost us.”

Even with emotions running high, Dunk nails it. It brings the whole concept of VAR into disrepute if you can't get it right when using it. Apparently they used the slow-mo to decide? I mean, WTF? That HAS to be seen at normal speed to arrive at the correct decision, either way.

And of course in two consecutive rounds of the FA Cup we have now had the following. WIthout VAR - City get the decisions against Swansea to stay in the FA Cup, Brighton somehow and luckily survive three huge decisions going against them at Millwall. With VAR - City somehow still get the decision, Brighton are robbed. Anyone who tries to claim that the big clubs don't disproportionately get the decisions - it would appear with or without VAR - is off their heads.

Having said all that, it was a cracking day out, support was terrific, and the team did us proud.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've not seen a replay yet but from where I was it looked like he didn't make contact, like he was oo far away and just flicked his head in AJ's direction.

A) Irrelevent
B) He made contact and scraped down AJ’s nose.

For someone who likes to quote the rules on here, I’m surprised at your post.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not sure that people are completely 'Au fait' with the laws of Association Football.

Brighton's Hemed jumps in air and lands on prostrate player lying directly underneath him while challenging for the ball - Review and retrospective ban

Screen-Shot-2017-09-24-at-192003JPG.jpg

Manchester United's Lukaku demonstrates windmill kung-fu kick on Bong whilst in different postcode to ball - Review and no case to answer

hqdefault.jpg

I have highlighted the relevant areas of the law to help those struggling to understand :thumbsup:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am sure it isn't possible, but it seems to me there should be a retrospective ban as he should have been sent off. The fact that the ref saw it and the VAR guy bottled it, doesn't change the fact it was a red. Makes the use of VAR much less attractive to me now. I thought it would deal with bad decisions rather than add to them!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The only reason I can think of that it wasn’t is because of the hack and jump onto Walkers back just before that by Ali J and the ref saw it as both yellows or both reds.

That’s pushing it to say the least.

Sorry, there is no way that Ali J’s offence was a red... Walker’s reaction equally did not justify a yellow. He stood over AJ saying something, which I guess wasn’t pleasant by AJ’s expression. I would never encourage an Albion player to get an opponent sent off, but AJ’s lack of reaction to what Walker did saved Walker from getting a red.

Hats off to AJ for the way he played it, big boos for the VAR official whom completely bottled it. I guess we’ll never know, but I can guess the outcome of that altercation if it had been Duffy or Dunk as the “aggressor”...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A) Irrelevent
B) He made contact and scraped down AJ’s nose.

For someone who likes to quote the rules on here, I’m surprised at your post.

a) I didn't say it doesn't make it a red according to the laws of the game, just what it looked like to me as an attempt to possibly understand why they might have justified in their own minds not giving it.
b) thank you. Still can't bring myself to look at highlights yet.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
City have got away with murder in this year's FA Cup. No VAR in the quarter final against Swansea when they clearly would not have won had it been there.

Then, when we do have VAR in the semi, they get away with an incorrect decision through VAR which the authorities then admit they got wrong!

Talk about name on the cup....

Hope Spurs stuff them on Tuesday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
a) I didn't say it doesn't make it a red according to the laws of the game, just what it looked like to me as an attempt to possibly understand why they might have justified in their own minds not giving it.
b) thank you. Still can't bring myself to look at highlights yet.

Fair enough but it was a red. If they didn’t give it cos AJ stayed in his feet or because they only showed slow mo replays as various oundits claimed, then that is criminal!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I would love for the FA to explain how that wasn't a red, but Duffy's one against Palace was when they were almost identical incidents[/QUOTE.

Difference was the other players reaction. Patrick van Aanholt fell to the floor, as if he was dying.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sorry, there is no way that Ali J’s offence was a red... Walker’s reaction equally did not justify a yellow. He stood over AJ saying something, which I guess wasn’t pleasant by AJ’s expression. I would never encourage an Albion player to get an opponent sent off, but AJ’s lack of reaction to what Walker did saved Walker from getting a red.

Hats off to AJ for the way he played it, big boos for the VAR official whom completely bottled it. I guess we’ll never know, but I can guess the outcome of that altercation if it had been Duffy or Dunk as the “aggressor”...

As I said, its pushing it - but its the only reason I can possibly see why it was not a red.

I completely agree about the VAR part.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

You know the answer to that!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Like most, I would think, I was not sure at the time but after VAR was certain it was not a red however son has shown me a still picture on twitter and I am now convinced that it should have been. VAR made a mistake, so what is the point of it being used?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here