Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Red Card

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I would love for the FA to explain how that wasn't a red, but Duffy's one against Palace was when they were almost identical incidents

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Didn't see it at the ground and have just seen it now. I'm gobsmacked that wasn't a red. Total joke when VAR was present

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Excuse given was that it didn’t look so bad in slowmo. Also our guy didn’t go down!
So it’s only a sending off if you but them really quickly and they are knocked out.
Outrageous decision.

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
This is what happened with Christiano Ronaldo elbowing an Iranian defender in the face on purpose at the World Cup. Referee used VAR and said it was a yellow, which makes no sense. This happens everywhere.. big teams just get huge breaks that little teams would never get. I’m sorry Brighton, I know how you feel.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I said red as soon as it happened and we were right down the opposite end of the ground.

I like for players to be honest and not to roll round clutching their face in these types of incidents.

It should have been red but referees shouldn't need to see theatricals to give out red cards. It's hardly surprising players often 'help' referees make a decision

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've not seen a replay yet but from where I was it looked like he didn't make contact, like he was oo far away and just flicked his head in AJ's direction.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've not seen a replay yet but from where I was it looked like he didn't make contact, like he was oo far away and just flicked his head in AJ's direction.

Oh, that's ok then... In which case why did he get s yellow card? It was a terrible decision, City knew it too as Walker didn't come out for second half...

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
VAR had one decision to make and got it wrong. If any evidence was needed to show that VAR won't suddenly rid the game of poor decisions, this was it. Total dogsh*t idea, adds nothing to the game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Just seen it. He moved his head aggresively in a butting motion. That is a clear red every day of the week. Good point made on the commentary that slowing it down for the VAR made it seem less serious.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
VAR had one decision to make and got it wrong. If any evidence was needed to show that VAR won't suddenly rid the game of poor decisions, this was it. Total dogsh*t idea, adds nothing to the game.

Agree. Could see it from about 100 yds away in the upper tier . Makes VAR a complete waste of time

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It was no card or a red card.

Yellow card just shows they made up their own rules for this specific incident.

Rule being, he plays for Oil FC and Engerlund so gets off with a caution.

It's often said that in bigger games officials are hesitant to dish out reds for ruining the spectacle, this is a situation where a red would have made the game very interesting.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
100% red. Whether AJ copped for an injury or not. The intent was there.
Switch this incident around and you can be damn sure that AJ would have seen a red card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Watching on TV it looked a BLATANT red on first viewing. We were going mental when the ref didn't give it. Then it comes up "VAR review for red card". Get in! He's off when they see that......

Oh.

And those twats on the City forum (see other thread) are saying the ref was on our side.

Wow.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Interesting comment in The Sun article on why did the referee not review the incident on a pitchside screen as they do in the rest of the world where VAR is used.

I remember hearing or reading something about one of the main hold ups with bringing VAR in this season was that certain factions wanted the VAR to make decisions, and others wanted the ref to make them. It seems in britain the VAR faction won out. At least so far. For me, if the law includes the phrase 'in the opinion of the referee' then the referee has to look at the replay. If anyone else does we're not playing by the laws of the game. It may be a bit slower as we wait for the ref to make his way over to the monitor and view it a couple of times, but it still needs to be his opinion, not the VAR.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I remember hearing or reading something about one of the main hold ups with bringing VAR in this season was that certain factions wanted the VAR to make decisions, and others wanted the ref to make them. It seems in britain the VAR faction won out. At least so far. For me, if the law includes the phrase 'in the opinion of the referee' then the referee has to look at the replay. If anyone else does we're not playing by the laws of the game. It may be a bit slower as we wait for the ref to make his way over to the monitor and view it a couple of times, but it still needs to be his opinion, not the VAR.
Yes. During the World Cup it seemed to be the referee looking at the replays, having been directed to do so by the VARs. That surely has to be the best way for it to work?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here