Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roll call - FA Cup Semi Final 1983/2019

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
My Mum took us to the Goldstone to queue up for tickets with deckchairs and a picnic in 83. We got interviewed and featured on the front page of the Argus as an "Albion-mad family"!
Tomorrow, a mere 36 years on, me, my now octogenarian Dad and my brother will be larging it in the Boxpark!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
AND SMITH MUST SCORE

Five yards out, an open goal
and not a man in sight
The memory of that awful miss
still haunts me late at night...
Ten seconds left in extra time
and history in the making
but Smith's shot hit the goalie's legs
and now our hearts are breaking...

A paralytic lemming
with the skill of a dead cat
and the finesse of a hamster
could have done better than that...
A decomposing dogfish
wrapped in bondage head to toe
could have stuck that ball into the net...
but Gordon Smith? Oh no!

When Robinson broke down the left
and stuck the ball across
we knew for sure the Seagulls' win
was Man United's loss
and as old Smithy shaped to shoot
a mighty roar went up...
The impossible had happened!
We'd won the FA Cup!

A fleeting glimpse of glory -
alas, 'twas not to be...
we lost the replay 4-0
went down to Division Three.
The one chance of a lifetime
so cruelly snatched away
But till the white coats come for me
I'll never forget that day!

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Yep I was there , I enjoyed the semi more than the final , the semi back in 83 was a great day

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Me aged 14 and now 50....and my Dad aged 40 and now 76.
Both stood in the Clock End with a perfect view of Jimmy’s wonder goal.
Will never forget it. Little brother gets to join us too tomorrow as he was too young in ‘83.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I was at the Arsenal that fine day and loved it....couldn't make the Final as I was a new job in Glasgow that I had only been at for 4 months and reluctantly I had to work that weekend...here I am 36 years later and still here, loving it, and more than loving our FABULOUS team.

I am as proud now as Iwas in 1960 something when my dear late Dad took me, on a cold Autumnal eve, to see us beat Halifax , or some other Premier League rated 'Nova Scotian' team. There the love affair was set in stone, concrete, epoxy and gold!

There are many a club out there who would love to be us now.......top division and in the semi-finals of the World's finest cup competition..........but they ain't!

Walking to see us losing 4-0 at home to Walton and Hersham in a period of austerity? Yep me at Gwylan did that too................

come such a long long long way.....

Let's do this!

TNBA

TTF

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
My most amusing memory of the 83 game was the bloke in front of us who kept complaining about everybody jumping up and down and spoiling his view of the game :tosser:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
21 and 57 ... with three brothers at Highbury. With two brothers and two nephews tomorrow

Yes went to every rd in 83 ...
Ditto re brothers and nephews... [emoji23]

14 and 50.

Only went to R4 QF SF and F in 83.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Yup. One of my best football memories - the scenes after THAT fee kick!!! Epic.

UTA

:albion2:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Yep, a teenage me was there for the semi final with my Dad, to see Jimmy Case's famous goal, then at Wembley for the good...and the bad.

For the replay, the Bank I worked at wouldn't let me have the whole day off so I went in and painted my face with blue stripes during the morning (I wasn't on the till, I was in the back office upstairs) & I then stuck my head out of the top window of the Bank, waving at passers-by until the manager told me to just go to Wembley as I was distracting the other clerks and passing customers.

P.S. I kept the job. I think they knew they should have let me have the day off...

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Same here. Remember queueing forever to get the replay tickets

Yep. If IIRC the queue went down Goldstone Lane and i joined on the corner at Newtown Rd and slowly shuffled up to the middle turnstiles where you exchanged the vouchers and handed over the money. Happy Days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here