Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A message to the younger fans - enjoy it to the max

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Back in 1983, as the dust settled and the disappointment of the replay defeat hit home the next morning, I turned to my dad as a naive 11 year old and said "don't worry we will back in a cup final soon I'm sure".

Well 36 years later, we are, and yes I know it's not the final, but it feels like our final and therefore I'm treating it the same. Sadly my dad passed away a couple of years ago so he never made it, but nonetheless I'll be enjoying it to the full.

It may seem like days like this are now going to be the norm, and that would be great if true, but sadly they probably won't be, so enjoy it to the max, it may be the last for a while.

*I'm hoping to bounce this thread on May 18th :)

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
One of the great things about being a fan of a less fashionable club is that the good times are much sweeter and more enjoyable. Whilst the football we play in the Premier League may not be the best, occasions like promotions and cup finals are still magic. Fans of the top six clubs take it all for granted. We know the meaning of an occasion like this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Couldn't agree with you more.

My lads are coming up to 13 and 16 and they know tomorrow is all about a good day out.

When we left Middlesborough that fateful day my youngest turned to me and said "Surely we've got a great chance in the play-offs", I think we all knew what was about to happen but I just said, "let's see, eh". The tie against Massive he was a mascot and went out with Bong, to be fair I thought then "What if we made Bong the mascot" ;-)

That said, I can feel it in my water, we may fluke this 1-0!

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Yes enjoy !.... found the semi final programme and ticket in the loft this week from 1983...... was 16 then, what an amazing day that was at Highbury.

I'll enjoy it along with one of my daughters this time. What memories are made of !!! UTA

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As someone who still castigates his dad for not taking him in 83 [i was 3] I 100% endorse this.

I remember the disappointment of 90/91 so vividly and the elation of 2004 and having won on a big stage in front of more people than I’d ever thought would watch a Brighton game in exactly the same way.

These days for the likes of us are rare as hen’s teeth so fill your boots, drink well so you lose your inhibitions and be loud and proud!

On a personal note I will also take a moment to remember those of the Albion family no longer able to attend or be with us and will sing a bit louder for them too.

Wouldn’t it be great to actually support the team for the whole 90 minutes as one, without division and be able to know we did our bit!

UTA!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
And a word of advice to the marginally older ones don't get to drunk. If I'm honest in 1983 I drank far to much pre match and my memory of the occasion is a tad blurred.
Just enjoy it, for a club like ours these events don't come around that often.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back in 1983, as the dust settled and the disappointment of the replay defeat hit home the next morning, I turned to my dad as a naive 11 year old and said "don't worry we will back in a cup final soon I'm sure".

Well 36 years later, we are, and yes I know it's not the final, but it feels like our final and therefore I'm treating it the same. Sadly my dad passed away a couple of years ago so he never made it, but nonetheless I'll be enjoying it to the full.

It may seem like days like this are now going to be the norm, and that would be great if true, but sadly they probably won't be, so enjoy it to the max, it may be the last for a while.

We also thought we'd be back in the top division soon as well. Little did we know that it was going to be decades before we made it back and we had a very long way to fall.

Obviously the club is on a far better footing now than it was then, but still .... I'm not taking anything for granted!

Yes, I shall enjoy the day. I said on another thread I've waited 36 years for this and I'm not going to let a little matter like the result spoil my day out.

el punal

Leave your voice in the stands! ...One strong memory from 83 is out singing the Utd. .....super Brighton from the South

Yes, that was one of my abiding memories of the replay - forget the match though, that was done and dusted after a few minutes.

When us Albion fans really recognise the occasion and go for it it is a sight and sound that is remarkable. Recently, the effort of the Amex faithful in the play off against Sheffield Wednesday for one. From history the following stick in my memory for the raw passion of support :

1972 - home to Rotherham, 1-0 down and winning 2-1 right at the death with Ken Beamish scoring to set us up for promotion a week or so later.

1976 - home to Palace in front of 33,500 for an evening game. We won 2-0 in what was probably the most fired up atmosphere ever at the Goldstone - it mattered, it really did.

1976 and 1978 - the League Cup matches at Derby and Nottingham Forest, when the support was loud and proud throughout the 90 minutes.

1983 - that FA Cup match at Anfield against Liverpool, ‘nuff said! And, of course, the semi final at Highbury against Sheffield Wednesday.

2011 - Our first ever match at the Amex!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

My Dad said to me "what would there be left to look forward to if you had won it - it's still to be won"!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Football Ramble chaps think our only chance tomorrow is if we actually own Wembley and turn it into the northern AMEX.

I get the feeling we'll be doing our bit!

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The atmosphere will be electric i feel and will be one big party for us and an all night party if we win. I have taken Monday off just in case we win.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm dreading it. I will do my best to sing, and try and enjoy the day out. Not easy given that I won't be able to drink.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
I’m flying 6,500 miles round trip to enjoy the day whatever the outcome. These days are to be savored as they are few and far between. We did out sing United and I expect us to be very loud tomorrow. I want to go home on Sunday with no voice left.

Even if we’re getting tonked, let’s be the absolute loudest we can be. Show the country and the world how well we support our team.

1983 flag packed and will be waved tomorrow. Doors closing now, 7 hours to London.

See you all tomorrow - UTA

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Leave your voice in the stands! ...One strong memory from 83 is out singing the Utd. .....super Brighton from the South

And the rhythmic clapping.........

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, that was one of my abiding memories of the replay - forget the match though, that was done and dusted after a few minutes.

When us Albion fans really recognise the occasion and go for it it is a sight and sound that is remarkable. Recently, the effort of the Amex faithful in the play off against Sheffield Wednesday for one. From history the following stick in my memory for the raw passion of support :

1972 - home to Rotherham, 1-0 down and winning 2-1 right at the death with Ken Beamish scoring to set us up for promotion a week or so later.

1976 - home to Palace in front of 33,500 for an evening game. We won 2-0 in what was probably the most fired up atmosphere ever at the Goldstone - it mattered, it really did.

1976 and 1978 - the League Cup matches at Derby and Nottingham Forest, when the support was loud and proud throughout the 90 minutes.

1983 - that FA Cup match at Anfield against Liverpool, ‘nuff said! And, of course, the semi final at Highbury against Sheffield Wednesday.

2011 - Our first ever match at the Amex!

I went to all of those except Liverpool. I went to Forest but was in one of the trains that didn't make it.

I would add the Cardiff Play Off against Bristol City to that fine list. The Notts Co one was memorable but not as much as the others.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'll be dressed only in blue and white (even bought new undies and a blue watch strap), letting loose my 22 beach balls, luzzing my streamers and jumping about like a ****. It's going to be amazing seeing half of Wembley in blue and white. Would be nice to sneak a goal too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here