Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Danny Rose spends £65k on a normal night out

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If he really felt so bad about football that he can't wait for retirement, he would get out now. He can't claim he can't because of the money as I am sure he will have earnt enough by now to retire. If he is really in that bad a place, surely he has to get out now...

You have completely missed the point he's making, and I think you've done it on purpose.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
What he said was so obviously metaphorical. It defies belief that anyone would take it absolutely at face value.

His point, that punishments handed out to National Associations have been pitifully small - insignificant, effectively, is unarguable from where I stand.

Ridiculous thread title.

This

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So what we're saying is, if someone is being racist in your industry....QUIT.

Rather than continue in your industry and hope the industry cracks down on the racism.

Wonderful.
That is not what i meant. As John Barnes pointed out this morning on TS, Danny has mental health issues as well. If he is ill from various things it must surely be best to remove yourself from the situation. If you were having mental health and race issues at work and it was affecting you, wouldn't your doctor suggest time off work to try and relieve the pressure? You can still fight the racists via h/r etc.

As others have mentioned, he could act as an ex player and work with various groups to resolve the issues players are facing to try and eradicate them.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Danny Rose of course is right to focus on the fines and should be supported by all concerned to continue in the game. I don't for one minute think he's serious in wanting out.

He has made his point in an extremely inelegant way. He's got a valid point about racism, but for me he's moved the conversation away from that and towards financial in equality in football. What he would spend on a night out is actually a large percentage of the annual income of the Montenegro football association.

My personal view on this is that education is the only way to eradicate racism in the long term. I don't think Montenegro should be kicked out of competitions any more than I think Chelsea or Burnley should. UEFA, should be thinking along the lines of using some of their vast profits from the Champions League and sending people into schools all over Europe doing race awareness lessons. Maybe start in the Balkan countries but shamefully, it's clearly also necessary in rich western countries, like ours, as well.

Nope. UEFA aren't in the school education business. Racist chanting should be two strikes and you're out. Once, heavy warning and fine. Twice, banned from european competition. Anything else just shows they're not taking it seriously and therefore isn't as big an issue as something like logos on urinals in stadiums or wearing poppies.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
On a separate point , what happens to the money raised from these fines?

Does it go to charity? or to the FA of the team on the receiving end of the abuse? or back into FIFA's coffers.

I'm assuming the latter, but hope to be proved wrong.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is not what i meant. As John Barnes pointed out this morning on TS, Danny has mental health issues as well. If he is ill from various things it must surely be best to remove yourself from the situation. If you were having mental health and race issues at work and it was affecting you, wouldn't your doctor suggest time off work to try and relieve the pressure? You can still fight the racists via h/r etc.

As others have mentioned, he could act as an ex player and work with various groups to resolve the issues players are facing to try and eradicate them.

Why should he be forced out of the remaining 5-6 years of his highly lucrative profession because of some neanderthal pieces of racist filth directing monkey chants at him from the stands ?

If he did that - they win.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why should he be forced out of the remaining 5-6 years of his highly lucrative profession because of some neanderthal pieces of racist filth directing monkey chants at him from the stands ?

If he did that - they win.

I can't believe there are people who would think differently. His mental health issues mean that he has to quit perhaps the one thing that makes him happy because he can't handle racist abuse. WTF are people on!!??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't believe there are people who would think differently. His mental health issues mean that he has to quit perhaps the one thing that makes him happy because he can't handle racist abuse. WTF are people on!!??

Indeed. There are some very curious views posted on this thread.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only one happy about this story is Ryan Sessegnon's agent.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And worryingly this thread demonstrates how some will find any way to criticise someone daring to make a comment on racism. Perhaps it's British awkwardness?

The comments that he should QUIT his profession are just mind-numbing.

Ignoring the fact Rose literally didn't even SAY he spends £65k....that has somehow become a quoted figure throughout.

Bizarre.

Spot on. It was a good point well made by an articulate man, and even those who weren't stupid enough to take it at face value have focussed on it and used it to deflect away from the racism issue. If he said it was more than he'd donated to Comic Relief he'd have been criticised for showing off.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't think people are doubting the validity of his concerns by suggesting it was calamitously made, which it was.

"Danny if you can spend £65k on a night out you have far too much money. And as you are financially comfortable now just don't renew your contract "

"If he really felt so bad about football that he can't wait for retirement, he would get out now."

"Quit now and become an ambassador or something. I actually think its quite insulting that he;s prepared to take the money and endure 6 years of something he apparently feels so strongly againsat and such an important issue, Clearly not as important as ludicrous hard cash. Money way more important than morals"

APPARENTLY in the last one.:lolol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
He's a footballer not a PR agency - his point is incredibly valid and in the circumstances and given his clear exasperation well made

Some footballers are more PR than football. Pogba an obvious example albeit I fully accept that Rose isn't in that bracket.

I personally feel that if he had avoided comparing the fines to his weekly wage and desisted from effectively saying he doesn't like football his message would have been delivered better. I'm not for one minute arguing his general point that Racism is punished lightly by UEFA is a very valid one.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
At the end of the article in the Telegraph he praises the fans for supporting Tottenham at Wembley saying it was a lot of travelling and not home. If 12 miles is a lot of travelling maybe this is why top six Premier League fans are fickle, and in my mind not true supporters.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
At the end of the article in the Telegraph he praises the fans for supporting Tottenham at Wembley saying it was a lot of travelling and not home. If 12 miles is a lot of travelling maybe this is why top six Premier League fans are fickle, and in my mind not true supporters.

Have you heard how much our supporters moan about getting away from Falmer?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
On a separate point , what happens to the money raised from these fines?

Does it go to charity? or to the FA of the team on the receiving end of the abuse? or back into FIFA's coffers.

I'm assuming the latter, but hope to be proved wrong.

Surely if it were going into FIFA/UEFA coffers then the fines would be massively higher ;)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
A good point badly made.

I am not too sure that the point is badly made by Danny here. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what he has gone and said.

I think this comment now has everyone talking about the issue and it has kept it in the spotlight, even if it is due the fact he made a decadent comment about what he earns and spends. It is his money - he earns it so can spend it how he wishes.

It brings to the fore a potential reason, as to why some of the black players are abused in modern day football. The people doing it, often do not see BME workers as their ''equals'' let alone their ''betters'' - In some instances part of the reason for the racist booing is envy from the stands that Black and Ethnic Minority players can be higher achievers within the football industry and the people booing them can't bear it.

Whether he did it intentionally or unintentionally. It has kept the focus on the fact that racism is an issue within the whole of society and we really need to keep talking about it, if we are to make inroads into solving it.

Good on ya Danny, that what I say !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Danny Rose has made the startling revelation that he cannot wait to “get out” of football and believes there is no chance of eradicating racism while offenders are fined less than what he claims to be able to spend on a night out.
Rose was also racially abused in neighbouring Serbia while playing for England’s Under-21s in 2012 and was dismayed by the resulting £65,000 fine from Uefa, who also ordered the Serbs to play one game behind closed doors.
“When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect?
Now aged 28, Rose does not expect to play past his 34th birthday and has admitted the way football is run has left him looking forward to his retirement.

Danny if you can spend £65k on a night out you have far too much money. And as you are financially comfortable now just don't renew your contract (which can't have 6 years to run) when it runs out and make a stand then.

Glad you picked up on that and not the meaningless point about racism.

He deserves to be racially abused after spending that amount.

I doubt he does by the way, I think he was just proving a point.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here