Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Danny Rose spends £65k on a normal night out

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Danny Rose has made the startling revelation that he cannot wait to “get out” of football and believes there is no chance of eradicating racism while offenders are fined less than what he claims to be able to spend on a night out.
Rose was also racially abused in neighbouring Serbia while playing for England’s Under-21s in 2012 and was dismayed by the resulting £65,000 fine from Uefa, who also ordered the Serbs to play one game behind closed doors.
“When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect?
Now aged 28, Rose does not expect to play past his 34th birthday and has admitted the way football is run has left him looking forward to his retirement.

Danny if you can spend £65k on a night out you have far too much money. And as you are financially comfortable now just don't renew your contract (which can't have 6 years to run) when it runs out and make a stand then.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I saw that and thought exactly the same. Either he's talking about another fine, or he's got FAR too much money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess 'Danny Rose spends half of one weeks wages on a night out' isn't quite so eye catching

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What he said was so obviously metaphorical. It defies belief that anyone would take it absolutely at face value.

His point, that punishments handed out to National Associations have been pitifully small - insignificant, effectively, is unarguable from where I stand.

Ridiculous thread title.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I saw that and thought exactly the same. Either he's talking about another fine, or he's got FAR too much money.

It’s probably the equivalent of us spending £250/300 on a night out. These players are earning millions per year so there idea of a night out will be very different to ours.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit of a shame he put it like that, detracts from the point he's making. better would have been to say footballer get fined similar amounts by clubs for minor indiscipline, something like that. the countries where this happens will only respond when games are behind closed doors or points deductions, few 10k's is nothing for a country's association.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If he really felt so bad about football that he can't wait for retirement, he would get out now. He can't claim he can't because of the money as I am sure he will have earnt enough by now to retire. If he is really in that bad a place, surely he has to get out now...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s probably the equivalent of us spending £250/300 on a night out. These players are earning millions per year so there idea of a night out will be very different to ours.

£250/300 :moo: tenner would cover my visit to the Connaught in Worthing

Last edited:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
If he really felt so bad about football that he can't wait for retirement, he would get out now. He can't claim he can't because of the money as I am sure he will have earnt enough by now to retire. If he is really in that bad a place, surely he has to get out now...

Agree most of us 6 years from retirement have to keep going to get the pension. He already has it and more. Move aside Danny and let a youngster in, then take up an ex player role and take on UEFA.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It was obvious someone would pick up on that, while ignoring the very valid point he was making. Was he exaggerating? Probably. Is his point valid, definitely.

That was my exact first thought when I read his interview. It's CLEARLY an exaggeration....but even if it wasn't (which it was) it still wouldn't matter.

I just knew that would be picked up over the, you know, racism stuff.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
bit of a shame he put it like that, detracts from the point he's making. better would have been to say footballer get fined similar amounts by clubs for minor indiscipline, something like that. the countries where this happens will only respond when games are behind closed doors or points deductions, few 10k's is nothing for a country's association.

I agree with this. It allows people to miss the point. That being said, I do always enjoy the pearl-clutching about it somehow being a surprise that footballers actually spend their wages.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

So what we're saying is, if someone is being racist in your industry....QUIT.

Rather than continue in your industry and hope the industry cracks down on the racism.

Wonderful.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All these 'holier than thou' type posters. Come on, we've all done it.

You mean to go via the cash machine on the way out, but you're in a rush, so you spend on contactless all night.

Wake up with a raging head in the morning, check your bank account on your phone and you're 65K down :)

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
So why say this at all? He has deflected attention from the very important point he was making, as this thread demonstrates. It’s what most people - as they did when Cashley Cole made a similar remark - will now focus on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Danny Rose has made the startling revelation that he cannot wait to “get out” of football and believes there is no chance of eradicating racism while offenders are fined less than what he claims to be able to spend on a night out.
Rose was also racially abused in neighbouring Serbia while playing for England’s Under-21s in 2012 and was dismayed by the resulting £65,000 fine from Uefa, who also ordered the Serbs to play one game behind closed doors.
“When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect?
Now aged 28, Rose does not expect to play past his 34th birthday and has admitted the way football is run has left him looking forward to his retirement.

Danny if you can spend £65k on a night out you have far too much money. And as you are financially comfortable now just don't renew your contract (which can't have 6 years to run) when it runs out and make a stand then.
I think he is taking the Michael a tiny bit. The point he is making is that relatively small fines for a national F A are not going to change anything and he's right. Nothing will ever change unless games are called off or offending countries are banned/suspended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here