Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Danny Rose spends £65k on a normal night out

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
65k on a night out? That barely gets you a round in a London craft beer bar these days.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So why say this at all? He has deflected attention from the very important point he was making, as this thread demonstrates. It’s what most people - as they did when Cashley Cole made a similar remark - will now focus on.

Please don't assume most people will take a clearly flippant comment (to make a point) as a more important issue than racism in football.

He clearly hasn't sat down before an interview and studied the values of what each individual offender is being charged and then worked out it is the same as his average night out. He is making a point that the values being charged for such serious offences are no......oh forget it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Absolutely unbeliveable that anybody should take that at face value. He was making a point, although I bet he's been told a million times not to exaggerate.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
65k on a night out? That barely gets you a round in a London craft beer bar these days.

Well quite.

I recently bought x4 tickets for a West End show for a family night in London next Wednesday. I've nearly done that amount already. :down:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Danny Rose of course is right to focus on the fines and should be supported by all concerned to continue in the game. I don't for one minute think he's serious in wanting out.

He has made his point in an extremely inelegant way. He's got a valid point about racism, but for me he's moved the conversation away from that and towards financial in equality in football. What he would spend on a night out is actually a large percentage of the annual income of the Montenegro football association.

My personal view on this is that education is the only way to eradicate racism in the long term. I don't think Montenegro should be kicked out of competitions any more than I think Chelsea or Burnley should. UEFA, should be thinking along the lines of using some of their vast profits from the Champions League and sending people into schools all over Europe doing race awareness lessons. Maybe start in the Balkan countries but shamefully, it's clearly also necessary in rich western countries, like ours, as well.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Perhaps ban alcohol being sold at grounds with any sort of history of phobic problems so that 'bad sides' don't come out? And prevent already drunk people entering.
That would hit clubs/Countries financially.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Danny Rose has made the startling revelation that he cannot wait to “get out” of football and believes there is no chance of eradicating racism while offenders are fined less than what he claims to be able to spend on a night out.
Rose was also racially abused in neighbouring Serbia while playing for England’s Under-21s in 2012 and was dismayed by the resulting £65,000 fine from Uefa, who also ordered the Serbs to play one game behind closed doors.
“When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect?
Now aged 28, Rose does not expect to play past his 34th birthday and has admitted the way football is run has left him looking forward to his retirement.

Danny if you can spend £65k on a night out you have far too much money. And as you are financially comfortable now just don't renew your contract (which can't have 6 years to run) when it runs out and make a stand then.

I just had that EXACT conversation. Quit now and become an ambassador or something. I actually think its quite insulting that he;s prepared to take the money and endure 6 years of something he apparently feels so strongly againsat and such an important issue, Clearly not as important as ludicrous hard cash. Money way more important than morals.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If he goes out he probably needs security, then you add in all the family and friends he pays for and the generous tips he gives and perhaps it seems more believable. It sounds a bit obscene though.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
So what we're saying is, if someone is being racist in your industry....QUIT.

Rather than continue in your industry and hope the industry cracks down on the racism.

Wonderful.

Agreed.
Whilst agreeing with the sentiment re racism, me thinks Danny could perhaps have phrased his statement in a rather different way, that would have made it sound a bit less of a 'hey, I am going to flounce, but not until I've made a further stash out of this ghastly game'.
It has taken something away from his stand, I reckon.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I actually think its quite insulting that he;s prepared to take the money and endure 6 years of something he apparently feels so strongly againsat and such an important issue, Clearly not as important as ludicrous hard cash. Money way more important than morals.

Again, he should give up his profession because HE is being racially abused doing his job?

Still, I don't want you to feel INSULTED now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not only is the thread title picking up on what was clearly just a throwaway remark, its also slightly twisted it.

Thread title: "Danny Rose spends £65k on a normal night out"
Actual quote: "When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect?"

Poor form.

Anyone with half a brain would pick up on the point that he is making - that in relative terms, the fines dished out by UEFA to clubs and national football associations for instances of racial abuse are absolutely pitiful. Rose is absolutely right in what he says. It shows the authorities talk the talk over the racism issue, but when it comes down to it, they're not really tackling it or taking it seriously - the "punishments" are proof of that. Having kids parade an anti-racism banner on the pitch before kickoff and putting a few billboards around the sidelines will change nothing.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Danny Rose has made the startling revelation that he cannot wait to “get out” of football and believes there is no chance of eradicating racism while offenders are fined less than what he claims to be able to spend on a night out.
Rose was also racially abused in neighbouring Serbia while playing for England’s Under-21s in 2012 and was dismayed by the resulting £65,000 fine from Uefa, who also ordered the Serbs to play one game behind closed doors.
“When countries only get fined what I’d probably spend on a night out in London, what do you expect?
Now aged 28, Rose does not expect to play past his 34th birthday and has admitted the way football is run has left him looking forward to his retirement.

Danny if you can spend £65k on a night out you have far too much money. And as you are financially comfortable now just don't renew your contract (which can't have 6 years to run) when it runs out and make a stand then.

Come on, I knew as soon as he said it people would jump on that and derail his point.

I made no assumption about him saying how wealthy he was and I don't think he intended to.

How bout getting back to the issue in hand.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
, they're not really tackling it or taking it seriously

And worryingly this thread demonstrates how some will find any way to criticise someone daring to make a comment on racism. Perhaps it's British awkwardness?

The comments that he should QUIT his profession are just mind-numbing.

Ignoring the fact Rose literally didn't even SAY he spends £65k....that has somehow become a quoted figure throughout.

Bizarre.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Someone even called in to the five live debate on this to make the same point, spectacularly missing both the bigger point about racism he was making and that he wasn’t talking literally. Words fail.

It’s a double :facepalm::ffsparr: from me...some people are just so fecking stupid!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here