Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] TV package

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I know this subject has come up many times but because prices are always changing, thought I'd ask my NSC chums for some advice.

I took out a Sky Q deal 17 months ago which included Sky basic + football, cricket & F1 = £32 pcm
When I found out the Ashes downunder in 2017 were going to be on BT sport I did a Sky bolt on of BT = £32 - for HD, just downgraded to SD to save £6.50 (I can't tell the difference & SD is better than any stream).

Don't have the need for anything other than Sky Sports and would not be massively disappointed to give up BT Sport now.

Add in to the equation that my EE broadband and landline deal is also finishing at the same time, would consider a package that included this too.

Virgin dug up the road 3 years ago, so they are now a cable option too.

Not too fused about customer service as I've rarely needed to ever use [famous last words]

Do these Firestick things provide Sky Sports in a package? [obviously will still need an ISP]

So many options I don't know where to start.

Any of you fair folk of NSC able to suggest where the best deals are just now?

JimothyJames95

Jan 2, 2019
Eastbourne
The Amazon firestick provides your basic apps really, such as Netflix, Prime, Etc. But you still need subscriptions to these services. There are other ways of getting different apps on them though. The not so legal ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Amazon firestick provides your basic apps really, such as Netflix, Prime, Etc. But you still need subscriptions to these services. There are other ways of getting different apps on them though. The not so legal ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the Amazon Firestick requires a hefty additional fee per movie, each time you want to watch a popular/recent movie.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You must have seriously bad eyes if you can't tell the difference between SD and HD!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
If you want BT Sport you can get good deals if you include BT broadband. Sky can’t match them in my experience if you want BT through Sky. Just needs a bit of haggling. Ring up BT saying your sport contract is up and you are thinking of leaving what can they do and say you may leaving your current broadband contract. Ring Sky and do a bit of haggling with them, they won’t offer a good deal unless they know you will leave.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Get a decent fibre connection with a strong Wi-Fi hub. I recommend Virgin for internet.

Then grab yourself a fire stick and get it jailbroken and you have access to everything. Make sure you use a good VPN service.

Edit: not entirely legal.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
A lot of women can't tell the difference.

The only difference my wife can ‘see’ is volume levels. She gets proper hacked off that they are different to non hd channels and I’m minded to agree with her.

She has a valid point, the technology shout sort the volume out between services, not the viewer.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Might be preaching to the converted, but don't forget when buying anything online, to go through Quidco or TopCashback and get yourself lots of money.

When I changed to Virgin Media I think the 'reward' was about £180. And I got it paid twice (LOL) but that's a secret!

Things like this, holidays and new phones, it's a no-brainer to register with a cashback site, clear your cookies and click one more page, to get to where you're buying.

I have over a grand earned on Quidco over a few years. All things I would have bought anyway.

And you can register a credit /debit card so when you shop on the High Street you earn for that too...sometimes just for walking in, IIRC.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Right, popped up the town centre lunchtime.
Virgin VIP offer - for £79
Full House TV
+ Sky Sports HD
+ Sky Cinema HD
+ BT Sport
+ Extra box

260 amazing channels including Sky Sports HD, Sky Cinema HD and BT Sport in 4K Ultra HD
View all channels >

VIVID 350 fibre broadband

Ultrafast fibre with an average download speed of 362Mbps and Intelligent WiFi

Talk More Anytime

Channels Logos
£79 a month for 12 months then £129 a month (12 month contract)

£25 set up fee applies* - if I order online but free if I do it in the shop up town

Then walked round to the Sky desk and tried to get a comparison package but they couln't get anywhere near it.
Only thing I'll not get with Virgin [as far as I can see] is Sky Atlantic.

I did look online at BT deals but again, couldn't get c;lose to £79 with all those bundles.

Looks like Virgin wins this time ...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Full House TV
+ Sky Sports HD
+ Sky Cinema HD
+ BT Sport
+ Extra box

260 amazing channels including Sky Sports HD, Sky Cinema HD and BT Sport in 4K Ultra HD
View all channels >

Talk More Anytime

Channels Logos

£25 set up fee applies* - if I order online but free if I do it in the shop up town

Then walked round to the Sky desk and tried to get a comparison package but they couln't get anywhere near it.

I did look online at BT deals but again, couldn't get c;lose to £79 with all those bundles.

I’ve had Virgin Media (or their predecessors) since the mid 90’s. Hardly ever a problem in that time, quality visuals.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I've just got Sky broadband and TV including sport for £53 a month.

You cannot get BT through Sky- only via BT itself as a stand alone monthly rolling contract for £30 a month. Set up fee about £25.

However...

You will be able to get it for next season through Sky.

Can't get Virgin out here.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you want BT Sport you can get good deals if you include BT broadband. Sky can’t match them in my experience if you want BT through Sky. Just needs a bit of haggling. Ring up BT saying your sport contract is up and you are thinking of leaving what can they do and say you may leaving your current broadband contract. Ring Sky and do a bit of haggling with them, they won’t offer a good deal unless they know you will leave.

You can't get BT Sport through Sky- although you can add it through BT. Should be able to get via Sky from the new season.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Full House TV
+ Sky Sports HD
+ Sky Cinema HD
+ BT Sport
+ Extra box

View all channels >

Talk More Anytime

Channels Logos

https://www.quidco.com/virgin-media/

Limited time offer on the VIP TV bundle, including Sky Sports, BT Sport, Sky Cinema and ultrafast fibre

+ £190 cashback

But then:

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/virgin-media/

VIP TV Bundle: 260+ channels, including Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and BT Sport, ultrafast fibre broadband with avg. speed 362Mbps and phone
Exclusive Offer
Ends Tomorrow
£250.00

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here