Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're missing the point about the chicken and egg. Yes, that's probably the case now - which is why I was talking about other factors involved.

The issue was brought home to me when my kids were little and I went to the Albion shop for babywear. There was a blue tee-shirt that said "When I grow up I want to play for the Albion", there was also a girls shirt (in pink, natch) which said "When I grow up I want to be a footballer's wife." If girls are told from the time when they are sentient beings that football is a game for boys, they're not going to suddenly think it's for girls too when they're 13.
    Those t-shirts are clearly wrong, and quite depressing. But telling my daughter that football is a game (only) for boys is not something we've ever done as parents. We tried to get her along to training at my son's club, she's done ACE foootball academy sessions with her brother and has racked up half a dozen games at the Amex. She is becoming less and less interested, not more and more. That's not to say she's not in to sport but it's climbing and swimming she enjoys. However, we can only control what goes on at home so.....

On top of that, we have the issue that 80% of primary school teachers are female (not many of whom will have played the game), so you won't find many proponents of girls football there.

My daughter's rugby club started a girls section three years ago with 15 girls. It's now grown to more than 100 but it's a rise that's been prompted by rugby-playing teachers at schools. If a school doesn't have a champion for girls sport, it won't happen.

Your club is to be applauded for its efforts but clubs can't do it in isolation, there needs to be a complete change in society. It's going to be a long process.
    Yes, I probably agree with all of that. For all I know she is being discouraged over football by peers and / or teachers at school.
    Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      But telling my daughter that football is a game (only) for boys is not something we've ever done as parents.
      Sorry, I didn't mean imply that you. I'm sure that you hadn't but there are strong messages from outside. You mention peers and that's an important factor too.

Just one small thing but one I noticed buying my daughter's boots on the Sports Direct website. Boots are designated as Men's or Boy's (sometimes Ladies too but never Girls) - what message does that give? And SD aren't alone with this: other rugby sites do it. The persistent message is that these sports aren't for girls - that's what has to change
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      It's a small point that you raise but, in the context of growing the women's game, it's an important one. It's one of the reasons why your idea of solely building the game from the bottom up is going to struggle.

I've been involved in girls rugby and one of the big bugbears (borne out by surveys) is the quality of the changing rooms. Very few clubs have dedicated changing rooms and women/girls tend to use male facilities (obviously not when the men are in them!). There are complaints about the lack of mirrors, hairdryers etc,

Many clubs talk about attracting more women (and that's true for rugby, cricket and football) but they're aware that they need to do more for changing facilities but these cost money, which they don't get from subs on their own.

That's why there's a need for some element of subsidy and why women's sport can't grow solely organically. There are other factors too but the idea that women's football will grow from the bottom up is an idealistic one
      As you rightly say, dedicated changing rooms will cost smaller clubs money, although those expenses are nothing when it comes to finances in the men's game at the top level.

A few more fittings for extra mirrors and hairdryers to make changing rooms more female-friendly isn't going to bankrupt any Premier League side any time soon.

With the Barclays sponsorship, £500,000 prize money will be divided between WSL teams according to league position each season.

So how sustainable is women's football? And will it always need to be subsidized?

“Ultimately it’s only going to be sustainable if we can get more people aware of the WSL, through the turnstiles and more watching on TV. That is as important, almost more important in some ways, than the cash because that will help clubs long term to attract their own sponsorship deals and get better matchday sales as well as help us with our TV deals which is where most of the men’s money comes from.”
      - Kelly Simmons, FA's director of the professional women's game https://www.theguardian.com/football...ord-deal-uk-fa

TV execs aren't going to want to see empty stands in the grounds, so the attendances will be critical in making the game more attractive and thus more valuable.

Therefore, there's got to be a wholesale improvement in growing the supporter numbers organically to generate an atmosphere.

It's got to be so much better than February's Continental League Cup final between Manchester City and Arsenal which attracted only 2,424 spectators for a cup final.
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47294347

Name:  league cup final.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  68.5 KB
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      England 0 Canada 1.

5,682 at the game.
      "To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed 'im hard' Bruce Lee View Post
      Oh well.

I love football, womens football however holds no interest for me.
      Same as womens rugby and womens boxing, love both sports but FFS....they are MENS sports.
      And womens cricket.

Stick to netball girls
      How come menís netball never gets a mention ? Itís one rule for one..........
      now my friends have gone,
      and my hair is grey,
      and I ache in the places that I used to play.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Seagull View Post
      Ha ha love it, you are brave putting that with all the PC liberal types on here. Totally agree with you btw. Most of those who go and watch women's football are probably bored s***less with the match but pat themselves on the back as they are showcasing their PC credentials...........'oh look at me I'm so committed to diversity I go and watch women's football'. The sort of person who would do or watch anything as long as the PC brigade deem it the 'right' thing to do.

Spot on. Why can't women just play women's games? You don't see men invading world netball.

1 Not allowed!
      Just bumping this thread to remind people about the Womens match this Sunday at the Amex. Our opponents Arsenal will win the league if they beat us (which to be honest is likely) but I'm sure Hope Powells side will give it a good go.

Kickoff is at 12:15pm and tickets can be obtained as usual from Seagulls Tickets. Each season ticket holder can get TWO FREE tickets (offer runs out at 5pm TODAY), with additional tickets costing just £3.00 for adults and £1 for over 65s and children.

Travel to the ground is not included in the ticket, but you can book transport via Seagulls Travel

Our esteemed chairman would like our support to get a good crowd in : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...h-at-the-amex/

And England Womens Team manager Phil Neville is also impressed with Brighton : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...WmD-f7CLuHSzT4

My mums having an operation tomorrow, but as long as shes ok I'll be there and hope there will be a good crowd to cheer the Albion on.

UTA!
      Sports nut. BHAFC East Stand and BHAWFC season ticket holder. Brighton and Newcastle supporter.

Raising money for HEAL Project Zambia which works with children and adults with HIV/Aids : http://www.healprojectzambia.org.uk
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      @zeetha any idea if the club shop and/or any of the bars will be open on sunday?

Oh, and good luck with mum's operation
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by zeetha View Post
      Just bumping this thread to remind people about the Womens match this Sunday at the Amex. Our opponents Arsenal will win the league if they beat us (which to be honest is likely) but I'm sure Hope Powells side will give it a good go.

Kickoff is at 12:15pm and tickets can be obtained as usual from Seagulls Tickets. Each season ticket holder can get TWO FREE tickets (offer runs out at 5pm TODAY), with additional tickets costing just £3.00 for adults and £1 for over 65s and children.

Travel to the ground is not included in the ticket, but you can book transport via Seagulls Travel

Our esteemed chairman would like our support to get a good crowd in : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...h-at-the-amex/

And England Womens Team manager Phil Neville is also impressed with Brighton : https://www.brightonandhovealbion.co...WmD-f7CLuHSzT4

My mums having an operation tomorrow, but as long as shes ok I'll be there and hope there will be a good crowd to cheer the Albion on.

UTA!
      Fingers crossed for your Mum's op, and for the Albion women on Sunday Zeetha!!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Assume all ST holders plus 1901s received letter from Bloom about game and asking to attend for free. This is an expensive way to hopefully get a good crowd.. Do you know what the estimate is