Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Indonesia's Football Hooligans

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Football inspires fanaticism in Indonesia. It also inspires danger. Football violence has killed about 75 fans in the past 25 years. Thousands more have been injured.

Popular Indonesian teams travel to matches in armoured personnel carriers and riot police with automatic weapons are regular fixtures. Accusations of match-fixing fuel the anger of football crowds and brawling between fans.

Recently an entire league was suspended for a fortnight due to the violence, which threatens to shut the league down permanently.

101 East goes inside the world of "Jakmania" - the Persija Jakarta fans who are as fiery as any in Indonesia - in their race for the championship title.

In this quest to understand what drives such violence in a mostly Muslim nation that forswears alcohol, we meet fans who describe how their love of the "beautiful game" can erupt into violent clashes.

"Everyone wants to watch the game, but then you see the enemy and then you fight," says Andibachtiar Yusuf, a filmmaker and Persija Jakarta fan.

Some fans end up paying the ultimate price.

Ari Sirla, a Persija Jakarta fan, was just 23 years old when he was beaten to death by dozens of Bandung supporters. Now his parents are grieving.

"He never asked for trouble. He was just watching a game," says his mother.

In Indonesia's Football Fever, 101 East follows Indonesia's die-hard football fans who fight, and sometimes die, for the love of the game.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2019/04/indonesia-football-fever-190403105206213.html

^^

Interesting watch at that website!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mental , but a interesting watch , the boundaries of acceptability as to what goes on inside the stadium seem a tad more relaxed than our own , Mr B would have a job on his hands sorting this lot out .

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I went to a match in Yogyakarta years ago, they were playing against a team from Surabaya. The standard was atrocious, and I briefly thought I could realise every schoolboy's ambition of playing professional football. Surabaya had 2 Brazilians and a Cameroonian playing for them, who were several levels above anyone else on the pitch and they won 3-0.
No suggestion of hoolie trouble, but about halfway through it started bucketing it down and everyone on the open terrace legged it over to the main stand where I was, with plenty of people taking a short cut across the athletics track surrounding the pitch.
I got stared at a lot, not in a menacing way but perhaps because I was probably the only white person in the stadium.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I recall reports of violence in Egypt where there were numerous football hooligan clashes that ended up with deaths. Probably politically motivated but somehow linked to the football

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Football inspires fanaticism in Indonesia. It also inspires danger. Football violence has killed about 75 fans in the past 25 years. Thousands more have been injured.

Popular Indonesian teams travel to matches in armoured personnel carriers and riot police with automatic weapons are regular fixtures. Accusations of match-fixing fuel the anger of football crowds and brawling between fans.

Recently an entire league was suspended for a fortnight due to the violence, which threatens to shut the league down permanently.

101 East goes inside the world of "Jakmania" - the Persija Jakarta fans who are as fiery as any in Indonesia - in their race for the championship title.

In this quest to understand what drives such violence in a mostly Muslim nation that forswears alcohol, we meet fans who describe how their love of the "beautiful game" can erupt into violent clashes.

"Everyone wants to watch the game, but then you see the enemy and then you fight," says Andibachtiar Yusuf, a filmmaker and Persija Jakarta fan.

Some fans end up paying the ultimate price.

Ari Sirla, a Persija Jakarta fan, was just 23 years old when he was beaten to death by dozens of Bandung supporters. Now his parents are grieving.

"He never asked for trouble. He was just watching a game," says his mother.

In Indonesia's Football Fever, 101 East follows Indonesia's die-hard football fans who fight, and sometimes die, for the love of the game.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2019/04/indonesia-football-fever-190403105206213.html

^^

Interesting watch at that website!

That was a good watch. I was in Bali a couple of years ago. I had no idea football was so big out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here