Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most people ever to support Albion?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
With an ever wider TV audience and, for the British at least, a love of the underdog, will Saturday see the highest number of people supporting Albion for a game. 35k there and terrestrial TV coverage at home and I'm sure worldwide streaming/transmission will more neutrals be backing us than we would normally expect?

Can't think of another game where we would have a larger, albeit temporary, fan base.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The global reach of football has increased so much since 1983 that the audience must have increased similarly. Saturday's game will be live on ESPN in the States, so will be shown in many sports bars and pubs across the USA. Viewers watching that game will include a large percentage of neutrals and punters just passing through, but it will still raise Albion's already significant profile in the States.

Will be the usual plastics supporting Man City, but the yanks do like a plucky underdog so some will be rooting for us

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Along with everything blue and white for Saturday - shirt, scarf, streamers, balloons - I will take a custard pie and throw it in the face of the first fan I see wearing a half and half scarf. :wrong:

Both ends of the stadium in blue and white too, simply two different shades of blue! With the odd Citee fan wearing one of their change shirts l suppose.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
With an ever wider TV audience and, for the British at least, a love of the underdog, will Saturday see the highest number of people supporting Albion for a game. 35k there and terrestrial TV coverage at home and I'm sure worldwide streaming/transmission will more neutrals be backing us than we would normally expect?

Can't think of another game where we would have a larger, albeit temporary, fan base.

Depends how many Fulham were there for that game at the Goldstone? Anyone know? Even roughly?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The global reach of football has increased so much since 1983 that the audience must have increased similarly. Saturday's game will be live on ESPN in the States, so will be shown in many sports bars and pubs across the USA. Viewers watching that game will include a large percentage of neutrals and punters just passing through, but it will still raise Albion's already significant profile in the States.

Will be the usual plastics supporting Man City, but the yanks do like a plucky underdog so some will be rooting for us

Yes, Americans love an underdog although what they love more is underdog that actually upsets the giant club. If you have the status of underdog but don't win the US fans will cheer for you but in the end will not expect victory. OTOH, if you start to win against several large clubs on the trot you will win a great percentage of these neutrals and also catch their hearts. Americans love the David vs Goliath story.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would guess most neutrals supported us in the final in 1983. And that had a larger audience in this country for sure, but in the world, maybe not?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I would guess many of those that started supporting us at the start of the match, won't ever support us again by the final whistle

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It is only on ESPN + isn't it (which is a subscription only channel)?

Yeah - that's what their website is showing. I get it on my cable bundle, but will be watching in the pub

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

If we play as badly as last Saturday, most would have switched teams after 10 minutes.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Along with everything blue and white for Saturday - shirt, scarf, streamers, balloons - I will take a custard pie and throw it in the face of the first fan I see wearing a half and half scarf. :wrong:

Can I wear my commemorative shirt? :albion2:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
34700 for Brighton v Rochdale in 1972 and many thousands locked out (who might have actually entered later). Not many Rochdale around that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here