Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone want to go down to The Championship?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We’ve kept the faith with a lot of players who aren’t really PL standard whilst slowly bedding in some players who might get there given time. We’re still 2 wins clear of Cardiff who have just as bad a run in as us. 1 more win could see us right.dont fold yet my friends. We’re still in there fighting.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Of course. And Burnley shows a positive way of responding but it’s rare.
It’s the suggestion that relegation is preferable that I can’t fathom and how highly risky it is to the clubs progress (which is considerable off the pitch)

Agreed.
I don't want to get relegated. I just know that in reality at the beginning of the next season I will start at exactly the same point I started the previous.
Obviously relegation will have an impact on the club's progress.
However I believe that TB is a shrewder businessman than most chairman and I think he will have contingencies in hand to keep the club's trajectory moving forward.
Losing TB would be a bigger blow than relegation.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
There’s an underlying fallacy in thinking that going down will result in flowing winning football. There is no guarantee that that will happen. Want an awayday with the Albion? Where do you fancy....Liverpool or Luton, Middlesbrough or Man City/ United? What I can understand is that people prefer a winning team, and when Albion win in this league, how good does that feel? I’m pretty sure it’s been said that supporting the big six....many trophy hunters....must be dull. Turn up, watch the international superstars roll over another three legged horse, go home. Repeat.

I’ve seen many relegations with the Albion and survived.

I’ve never relished any of them.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Curious really. Looks like us and cardiff are main contenders for the dreaded drop. Just wondering if some people, although tough to take relgegation, dont mind dipping back into the championship for a bit??

- 8 more games a season
- away days full of loyal fans not day trippers
- seeing attacking football each week
- winning games
- scoring and celebrating away goals
- going to some good grounds with good atmospheres?
- knowing literally anyone can beat anyone and usually big upsets every week

Granted the PL with all its riches and tv coverage is amazing and excellent for our saviour TB and all the money hes kindly used on our club though!!

It's a good point. Me and my son were talking about this last night as we watched the game. It was, on the whole, a much more exciting experience. Today, we go one down at places like Chelsea and you know that's it. There's nothing more. It was never like that in the Championship.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
It's a good point. Me and my son were talking about this last night as we watched the game. It was, on the whole, a much more exciting experience. Today, we go one down at places like Chelsea and you know that's it. There's nothing more. It was never like that in the Championship.

Well, apart from under Sami Hyypia, obviously.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
So the £30 or so million (with more to come) on the academy and training facilities, the stadium, hiring the most sought after director of football in the country, the millions spent on new players, the cup run, paying for (whether you like it or not) the most sought after executive in the Prem, and Bloom literally taking them from Withdean to Wembley shows er, no aspiration. ?

(You can believe all that which thankfully most fans do AND still be frustrated /pissed off about Saturday/last night but to be blind to the clubs aspiration under Bloom in the last 10 years is ridiculous. )

You seemed to have missed my point- or perhaps I didn't make it clear. The goal of clubs like us seems to be survival in this league. Understandable. It's the way things are. Even Barber suggested it was inevitable we would come down at some stage.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I predict we will get 3 more points this season, 1 against Bmuff, 1 against Cardiff and 1 against Newcastle.
So once again we rely on those around us to keep us safe!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I don't want us to go down.

But by God we are boring to watch. With a few very rare exceptions, it is only the 'occasion' that makes it enjoyable for me... either the venue, the opposition, the 'day out' or the family/friends I go with. Wouldn't it be great to look forward to the football match too?

True. And when you look at other clubs' message boards, you'll find Albion being described as this year's Burnley, the new Stoke, etc, with much emphasis on our league-worst disciplinary record.

The current playing style is all a far cry from the Poyet revolution, where our fanbase were suddenly awakened to the exhilarating possibilities offered by clever, creative, and above all, hugely successful football. It seemed like the start of an amazing new era. Now, though magically two divisions higher, we just look like everyone else. Struggling to keep up. And to stay up. At all costs. Ho-hum. Such is the imperative of being in the greed league. Fantastic that we got there, but it ain't half dull.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fantastic that we got there, but it ain't half dull.
The rest of your life must be pretty amazing if your trips to The Amex for Premier League matches over the past two years have been "dull".

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It is pretty dull football. How many cracking games have there been at the Amex this season?
From a very small sample there have been some disappointments so far - no argument.

To describe our whole Premier League season at The Amex as "dull" just seems a tad negative when you think about what we get relative to the around 100 other professional clubs in England.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Did we every get clarification on what 'PL Ready' was? Is this it?

If we survive this, I think it'll be seen as a successful one. Probably much the same next season too is coming. I think at best we can hope to be where we are, but closer to those above than below so we're not looking over our shoulders all season. At some point we need to push on but mostly it'll be mid-low table and a half decent cup run.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
There’s an underlying fallacy in thinking that going down will result in flowing winning football. There is no guarantee that that will happen. Want an awayday with the Albion? Where do you fancy....Liverpool or Luton, Middlesbrough or Man City/ United? What I can understand is that people prefer a winning team, and when Albion win in this league, how good does that feel? I’m pretty sure it’s been said that supporting the big six....many trophy hunters....must be dull. Turn up, watch the international superstars roll over another three legged horse, go home. Repeat.

I’ve seen many relegations with the Albion and survived.

I’ve never relished any of them.

Agreed. And you're right about the wins. PL wins feel so much better than Championship wins simply because they're more rare. I also like the fact there's less PL games as it means each one is more of an event. In the Championship it's more of a grind, the games come think and fast and the wins are expected. It's like a long-term drug addict: after a while you don't get a high from the fix (i.e the win), you just need it to happen.

I DO sympathise with those STHs who find it 'boring'. Maybe it's because I don't go so much that I don't find that. So if you're in that boat - why not give it a miss for a few years? Just a suggestion, but give up your ticket and do something else on Saturdays. If the football really is boring you should have no difficulty in getting it back again! And you'll enjoy it all the more for having had a break.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A Cardiff fan colleague of mine - obviously not in the best of moods currently, and not a big fan of us - reckons we'll just stay up at their expense this season, but that we will definitely go next season.

I'd clearly like to think the club will take the necessary action to ensure that doesn't happen. But it's certainly possible without some additions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that we can muster 4 more points between now and May to keep us up as I do not think that if relegated although probably favourites we would not come straight back up. I would sooner us avoid relegation again and the take stock in the summer and make sure that we are not in the same position again next season. Hopefully TB will provide the funds to ship out the underperformers and Championship level players and replace them with quality or at least potential quality. All signings are a risk even if proven Premier standard.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here