Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does anyone want to go down to The Championship?

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Curious really. Looks like us and cardiff are main contenders for the dreaded drop. Just wondering if some people, although tough to take relgegation, dont mind dipping back into the championship for a bit??

- 8 more games a season
- away days full of loyal fans not day trippers
- seeing attacking football each week
- winning games
- scoring and celebrating away goals
- going to some good grounds with good atmospheres?
- knowing literally anyone can beat anyone and usually big upsets every week

Granted the PL with all its riches and tv coverage is amazing and excellent for our saviour TB and all the money hes kindly used on our club though!!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I don't think anyone really WANTS to get relegated, but I dare say most of us old skool fans wouldn't regard it as the end of the world if it happened.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not really no. I do miss many of those things, particularly the tight knit c1000-1500 we had on the road, always familiar faces.

Even still, I'd prefer us being in the top league, indefinitely.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't think anyone really WANTS to get relegated, but I dare say most of us old skool fans wouldn't regard it as the end of the world if it happened.

This.

I'd be concerned about losing some of our best players, but we have brought in some tidy youngsters and our development system is on the up. Winning a lot of games would also be a nice change.

On balance I'd obviously rather stay up/be disappointed to go down, but being a low quality Prem team losing most weeks hasn't exactly been fun either.

The main thing is that it's hard to get in the Prem, bouncing back up is not actually the done thing so it would be a fool who wouldn't want to say there once you've made it, you never know how long it will be until you make it back again.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No guarantees we'd come straight back up again.

The heart of the side (Dunk, Duffy, Ryan, etc.) would be gone along with others.

If the likes of Bournemouth, Watford and Wolves can establish themselves as mid-table Premier League sides, so can we.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Curious really. Looks like us and cardiff are main contenders for the dreaded drop. Just wondering if some people, although tough to take relgegation, dont mind dipping back into the championship for a bit??

- 8 more games a season
- winning games

Granted the PL with all its riches and tv coverage is amazing and excellent for our saviour TB and all the money hes kindly used on our club though!!

Don’t want us to, but would enjoy the matches if we did.

Danger, though, is there is a good chance it wouldn’t be for ‘a bit’. It could be years. Very, very tough league to get out of, we would need a squad rebuild following departures etc.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Given the preference, I'd naturally like to stay up.

Would it bother me ? I've thought about it and, no, it wouldn't. I follow Albion whatever league they are in and I think the Championship is a great league. It doesn't seem like much of a punishment.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve said it it on here before, I cannot stand PL football. The championship is much better and we are a Championship team.
Nobody wants the actual relegation but the Championship is better and it’s where we fit. Financially it would be a worry though.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Tony Bloom can’t afford for us to can he ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

- 8 more games a season
- winning games

So testing ourselves against some of the best players in the world in one of the top leagues in the world, where the owner doesn't have to continually pump in millions of his own money every season to keep the club alive isn't something we should want because we have gone from being a top team in a lower league to a smaller team in a higher league and therefore some are disappointed we are unable to match teams like Chelsea and alike, teams who have had billions invested in them and have had multiple years in the division, with the wealth to invest that it brings, allowing them to evolve

Some would seemingly prefer us to go down to a division where clubs with massive debts (like we have) have ended up in serious financial trouble (Leeds, Bolton, Sunderland, Wolves, Southampton, and others) and whose to say that we don't do what several other clubs have done, and suffer relegation to League 1, like Wolves, Sunderland, and many others.

A lot of clubs have had to yo-yo between the Championship and PL in order to build to try to get to a stage where they can stay in the division, and even then many have gone down and are currently in the Championship despite investing far more than we have in players.

The league we are in is very difficult for most teams, getting promotion to that league from the Championship is very difficult. Those who want us back there seemingly value their own entertainment needs from our games higher than the desire for the club to be as successful as possible and battling out against the very best in the highest domestic division we can reach.

It's like they want us to give up because it's too hard and therefore not enough fun. It's like they seem to think that the opposition standard in the PL should be the same as the standard of the Championship and therefore it's our tactics that mean we are unable to produce the same exciting football we had in the Championship, and that a change of manager would somehow restore that attacking prowess. They seemingly can't see things what what they actually are.

We may get relegated at some point in the future, we may not,but all the time we are hanging in there, it raises our profile, making it more likely we can sign better players, we can continue to evolve the team and try to turn ourselves into a side looking like achieving a top half finish and surviving with relative comfort.

Most teams are not safe in this division, and one bad season can see most teams fighting against relegation regardless of how good their previous season(s) have been showing how hard it is to become established. (Burnley qualify for Europe last season and are in a relegation battle this)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Given the preference, I'd naturally like to stay up.

Would it bother me ? I've thought about it and, no, it wouldn't. I follow Albion whatever league they are in and I think the Championship is a great league. It doesn't seem like much of a punishment.

Only financially, shame there is such a massive difference between the leagues in terms of income. If there wasn't then i'd expect more attacking football from relegation battling teams because they knew that should they drop, the impact isn't as drastic as it is with whats at stake nowadays.

Sadly most teams have to play the percentages game, and that means more negative football, especially against a top 6 side in order to try to preserve their top flight status

Championship clubs wouldn't have to gamble as much (or at least the financial incentive wouldn't be as great) if the incomes were much, much closer to that of the PL (but it will never happen)

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Only financially, shame there is such a massive difference between the leagues in terms of income. If there wasn't then i'd expect more attacking football from relegation battling teams because they knew that should they drop, the impact isn't as drastic as it is with whats at stake nowadays.

Sadly most teams have to play the percentages game, and that means more negative football, especially against a top 6 side in order to try to preserve their top flight status

Championship clubs wouldn't have to gamble as much (or at least the financial incentive wouldn't be as great) if the incomes were much, much closer to that of the PL (but it will never happen)

I think that is a very accurate summary.

It is thinly veiled in manager speak. Everything is a about staying in the league. There seems to be little aspiration. As if this is what it has come to. Survival, as you say, dictated by finances.

Whoever isn't a 'top six' side is an also ran, making up the numbers, almost like extras in a blockbuster movie.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Stay up i say even if this means we have to be pragmatic with the football we play. I don't actually think the football is that bad, not sure what people expect from a team at the bottom of the table.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The PL is what BHAFC and Tony Bloom have been building for.
Surely the answer to the OP, is no.
As much as the Championship is a type of camaraderie to the elder fans, its all about progression, not regression IMO :)

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The PL is what BHAFC and Tony Bloom have been building for.
Surely the answer to the OP, is no.
As much as the Championship is a type of camaraderie to the elder fans, its all about progression, not regression IMO :)
You're right, just a shame the football seems to have regressed this season despite the millions spent. That is the worrying thing for me

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here