Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer selling/release list

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'll wait to the end of the season before I start slagging our players off.
Then I would leave it to TB CH PB
Enjoy the rest of the season.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
I would ask yet once again how much would it cost to replace Propper and Stephens with players as good. I would suggest about £50m when the money would be better spent on other more pressing positions.

You do go to the games, sit in your seat and watch? The midfield IS the weakest link and IS the most pressing area.

Get rid of Stephens. I would keep Kayal though.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
What a crap crap thread. Obviously started and perpetrated by those with little understanding of where we have been, come from and now are! Top division in England, Cup Semi Final, odds on , sorry well odds on, to stay up this season.

Jeez, I do so despair sometimes.......

Look forward with a happy smile on your faces to a Wembley Cup Semi Final appearance that at most only 25% of all league clubs will ever ever see!

TNBA

TTF

Does my username not give you an idea of the era I have come from?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Add Sutner and Schelotto to that list. Vital to keep Murray. With our 1 up top policy he's the only real viable option from what we've got. Not optimistic that our recruitment team will be able to find a suitable replacement for him in my view. He will be our main striker again next season. I don't have a problem with his age.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Loco and AJ - cut our losses - both poor

I’m on the fence. I’m not entirely sure why we bought either when you consider the following:

Locadia:

Where he looked best: modicum of success/promise in a progressive young PSV side that played with a fluid fully interchangeable front 3.

Where we deploy him: as a restricted LW told to stay wide but not deliver crosses and track back. Or as a central striker playing hold up with no support.

So we owe him a season in a team he might thrive in before binning him off.

AJ:

See above. Also, looked dangerous for AZ Alkmaar playing in a Hazard type role with freedom. Scored some exceptional goals, and delivered many assists but crucially had freedom to do so.

Now the question should perhaps be is whether this season represents the first chink in the armour of the relationship between recruitment and CH/his team.

In a way the worst examples of this came in the Buerke/Hyppia/Garcia eras which TB acknowledged and changed the structure for the better but at the end of the day CH will have tactical autonomy and if the players can’t adapt, don’t get motivated to play in unfamiliar roles then we’re not going to see the best of them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Bruno (sad to say)
Bong
Stephens
Kayal
AJ (take a hit)
Murray

That list started so well! Bruno definately, and Bong probably. After that though it rather fell apart.

Hughton may be tempted to sell/release Beram Kayal, but Dale Stephens is still very much part of the team, Glenn Murray may not be the player he once was, but his experience will still be invaluable to us next season even if he doesn't play so many games. I still think we have yet to see the best of Jahanbaksh too.

All this of course is totally dependent on what division we find ourselves in next season, and whether of not we are able to find better replacements for those who depart.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Better off asking other than Dunk ,Duffy , Ryan and maybe Andone who else would the remaining prem team take .. no one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
WTF?!

It is clear to absolutely everybody else that centre midfield is our weak point - the most important position on the pitch - and you’re saying we’ve got more pressing positions?!

I accept we also badly need another decent striker and probably a better winger than we have but centre midfield HAS to be our priority. We’re completely controlled in midfield most games.

I do kind of agree with BG actually, I still have faith in both Stephens and Propper, and personally feel that the problem is more down to the way that we set up for games than the lack of quality in the players mentioned. Our midfield is often so shackled with defensive duties that it can't get forward quickly enough to ling with our forwards.

Davy Propper in particular is a naturally attacking midfielder and scored goals at will for PSV in the Eridvesie. Unshackle him and it could be worth another 7/10 goals a season for us.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I wouldn’t go mad changing the squad in terms of coming in but we do need to move a lot along. Some players time to move on now. Suspect Hemed to be sold/released if contract is up. Suttner and the greyhound also. Bruno and Bong most likely moved along although if Bruno retires back room staff is a must. Kayal will most likely want more game time somewhere else, suspect one of the wide players time is up as well. Balogun if we got a decent off I would allow to move along as well.
We need to look to improve the 1st 11 now
I suspect x1 CM to be added but 1 who would be 1st choice. Mobile athletic and at an age he can get in the side and dictate games. Suspect Propper would benefit massively from this and we would see a much better player. Bissouma Gross and Stephens all kept to fight our last stop and certainly be competitive in that department.
X1 CF again. All the current 3 to be kept but someone added in the Murray mould.
X1 winger if one is moved on. Keep the squad fresh and potentially add a player who can beat a man. I’d like to see Jose and AJ on either wing and see what they can do.
Promote Ben White to back up to Montoya. I believe he could push Montoya out with some faith shown in him.
Maybe a CB who can genuinely push past one of dunk and Duffy

We have a decent squad now but it’s to big and the quality between our perceived starting 11 and the rest isn’t clear to see so maybe a sprinkling of quality is needed there instead. In term that will move the dead wood out and those who are pished out the 1st 11 make up the squad leading to an overall improvement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a crap crap thread. Obviously started and perpetrated by those with little understanding of where we have been, come from and now are! Top division in England, Cup Semi Final, odds on , sorry well odds on, to stay up this season.

Look forward with a happy smile on your faces to a Wembley Cup Semi Final appearance that at most only 25% of all league clubs will ever ever see!

TNBA

TTF

This.

Clueless, some people.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I would ask yet once again how much would it cost to replace Propper and Stephens with players as good. I would suggest about £50m when the money would be better spent on other more pressing positions.

As ever, the voice of reason in a maelstrom of idiocy.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

TNBA

TTF

Additionally, as a long serving H/A traveller, a little variation in tactic and excitement levels means as much as a happy-clappy day out at the Twin Towers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You do go to the games, sit in your seat and watch? The midfield IS the weakest link and IS the most pressing area.

Get rid of Stephens. I would keep Kayal though.

The answer to your question is yes I do and I think the exact opposite I would release Kayal to a Championship side prepared to pay £500k or hopefully £1m. Kayal is way behind Stephens and Propper in ability and effectiveness and has been since we got promoted from The Championship.

The midfield is weak because of the loss of Gross for many games.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The answer to your question is yes I do and I think the exact opposite I would release Kayal to a Championship side prepared to pay £500k or hopefully £1m. Kayal is way behind Stephens and Propper in ability and effectiveness and has been since we got promoted from The Championship.

The midfield is weak because of the loss of Gross for many games.

Indeed, and that is the reason that Kayal can't get into the side. Pascal Gross hasn't had the same influence this season either, we miss both his goals, and his assists.

In fact, when Glenn Murray was asked last season in an interview, what is the chief reason you are scoring so many goals, he simply replied Pascal Gross.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If only we could wait until after the crucial relegation games before deciding who needs booting out.

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here