Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Centre Midfield is the problem

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You’re right, it’s been our main weakness all season.

And the main problem is Stephens. He is playing in probably the most important position for us but he is just not good enough for this league, it’s painful to watch at times. He literally offers us nothing. As I’ve been saying, like a broken record, all season.

He’s been a good servant (transfer request aside) but if we want to progress, he can’t be a starter anymore. Oposition fans I speak to also think he’s really poor. Kayal should start ahead of him for the rest of this season and then hopefully we can upgrade in the summer.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Neither is the striker or full backs.

A striker is only as good as the service they get, and whether it’s Muzza or Andone they spend vast amounts of time feeding off scraps and chasing lost causes so for that reason you cannot aim any criticism at our strikers. You give either of those 2 the right service then they will score goals. Our midfield and wide attackers are the ones letting us down at the moment i’m afraid.

Last edited:

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
You’re right, it’s been our main weakness all season.

And the main problem is Stephens. He is playing in probably the most important position for us but he is just not good enough for this league, it’s painful to watch at times. He literally offers us nothing. As I’ve been saying, like a broken record, all season.

He’s been a good servant (transfer request aside) but if we want to progress, he can’t be a starter anymore. Oposition fans I speak to also think he’s really poor. Kayal should start ahead of him for the rest of this season and then hopefully we can upgrade in the summer.

Funny enough, when Stephens was out and Propper covered he done a great job IMO. Stephens has always been a favourite of mine, but this year he lacks the quickness, quality and decisiveness for the premier.
Unfortunately our midfield has been the problem last year also (and even in the championship)...not enough goals or assists and don’t get me started on quality of cross (full backs inc).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A striker is only as good as the service they get, and whether it’s Muzza or Andone they spend vast amounts of time feeding off scraps and chasing lost causes so for that reason I cannot aim too much criticism at our strikers. You give either of those 2 the right service then they will score goals. Our midfield and wide attackers are the ones letting us down at the moment i’m afraid.

Exactly.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think that both Propper and Stephens do their job efficiently but I cant say the same for the wide men who ever is picked to play.

Last 2 goals tonight neither one was in the right position. Good goals but were like freekicks without a wall.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, this summer our recruitment has to be focussed 100% on getting in a couple of CMs, with pace, power, guile, the ability to take hold of a match and run it, plus chipping in with 5 or 6 goals a season. That will take up most of out £100M PL money. With that injection of quality, the rest of what we've got should do OK, and a bit better than this season. In the summer of 2020, that will be the time to be concentrating on other positions.
Last summer we bought a job lot of players who fleshed out our squad and gave us cover for every position in a way we didn't have in our first season in the PL; by and large though, they haven't improved the team. Whether this was the plan or not, I do not know, but that's what happened. This summer though, recruitment needs to be quality not quantity, and very, very targeted.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, this summer our recruitment has to be focussed 100% on getting in a couple of CMs, with pace, power, guile, the ability to take hold of a match and run it, plus chipping in with 5 or 6 goals a season. That will take up most of out £100M PL money. With that injection of quality, the rest of what we've got should do OK, and a bit better than this season. In the summer of 2020, that will be the time to be concentrating on other positions.
Last summer we bought a job lot of players who fleshed out our squad and gave us cover for every position in a way we didn't have in our first season in the PL; by and large though, they haven't improved the team. Whether this was the plan or not, I do not know, but that's what happened. This summer though, recruitment needs to be quality not quantity, and very, very targeted.

Maddison, for example, cost Leicester £22.5m. Perhaps we can sign 2 or 3 first teamers for £60m?

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
I'm not liking this disparagement of our players. Can't people take an expected defeat?

What people are forgetting is the increasing influx of money to PL teams is making the league much tougher, even from last season to this one. So of course that means we'll need to raise our game next season with investment in the squad — next season.

In meantime, can we encourage our players to take their chances and not be criticised for failing to meet unrealistic expectations.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
[/B]

Ridiculous suggestion what would it cost to buy 2 as good £50m.

I never mentioned a cost.......I’m stating the obvious.
We’ll never compete with many sides in this league until we add pace into the midfield.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Go along with all of this, as tidy a summary of the situation as there is. I’d also like to understand the cost benefit of development squad. Are we actually making any money on the end to end results because clearly none are really good enough for the PL or ever will be in common with nearly every other PL club. Or could the money be better used to fund quality transfers? Even if it’s just a few million.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I never mentioned a cost.......I’m stating the obvious.
We’ll never compete with many sides in this league until we add pace into the midfield.

It is a case of wait and see what happens about the 2 players we bought in January and loaned back. Macateer and I cant remember the name of the other.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
[/B]

Ridiculous suggestion what would it cost to buy 2 as good £50m.

What? You are saying someone would pay 50m for Stephens and propper who have two prem goals between despite both playing almost two years of football. They probably have under five assists between them too.

Stephens has to go and propper is good enough for the bench. 50m on two centre mods and a change of manager is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Strikers do tend to struggle a tad if there’s no midfield.

Midfields tend to struggle when there is nobody in space in front of them to pass to :smile:

As long as our wingers are playing like fullbacks the midfield will struggle to go forward without passing to an isolated forward, which is pretty easy to defend against. The opposition win the ball and come back at a retreating Albion again and again and again and again.

I am in a minority in thinking our midfield is nowhere near as woeful as most suggest, the tactics are making it very difficult for them to shine imo.

The wingers, when they do get forward are failing to make an impact either imo.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here