Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
We're at Wembley on Saturday mostly because we've had the rub of the green when the draws have been made.

yes that is what the Cup is About
we are at Wembley as we have won in the 3rd 4th 5th and 6th rounds and the FA have decided the Semis are played at Wembley …
strange post … you were hoping for Man City away in the 3rd round i assume

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He's lost his way, undoubtedly. What a refreshing change it would make to see fans rally behind someone who has done everything possible for this club to date. Sure, we are gash at the moment, but I doubt we'll go down, and if recharge and recruit properly I think loyalty to CH would pay off.

That would be novel..at the moment its so predictable what is going to be typed ..I'm inclined to not even bother reading Nsc at the mo....time for a break me thinks

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Ah shut up the lot of ya.

We are in the premier league and a semi final of the FA Cup in less than 72 hours time. This is dreamland if you’ve followed the Albion for any longer than 9 years - arguably less.

No. We now are on a level playing field, and have the right to expect better from the money Tony has invested. In those days we punched above our weight, now we don't punch at all.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
This is starting to remind me of May's Brexit deal. If you ask the same question enough times maybe you'll eventually get a majority to agree with you? These are worrying times and we are not playing well but its too late to do anything now and the whole season is still there to play for. We can be europe next season and finish 15th or something or we could be in the Championship. No one knows at this point so speculation is pointless and counter productive.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Neither of those names became the manager though. Instead we got someone who wasn't suggested by anyone and it turned out to work out really well. Unless we have the current best manager in football, there will always be someone better. Getting them might be the difficulty bit, and if, as an example, someone does suggest an alternative the response then becomes why you think that manager isn't good enough.

Sometimes the right manager with the right team can create magic. For all we know, put Mark Hughes in charge of us, and it could be that magic that sees us replicate Leicester's shock premier league win. But you wouldn't accept that (I wouldn't!). We'd assume it would be just like he was with Stoke and Southampton and dull football that points toward relegation.

It's a lazy counter argument that usually relies on writing off any suggestion without any evidence of what they can do with our squad, in our set up.

But again - I think we should stick with hughton, as others have pointed out, we're not relegated, he has taken us from championship strugglers to premier league strugglers (who have a good record of staying out of the bottom three while still establishing ourselves in this division).

I get what you're saying, I just don't get why would you suggest getting rid of a manager if you had no 'plan b' or replacement in mind. Even if a) they don't become the manager or b) turn out to be shite, at least have a SUGGESTION and a justification for the action!

I agree that Hughton should stay. As I said, his priority is to keep the club in the Premier League. Do that, reinforcements can follow and who knows what might happen next season.

This place is so fickle though. Two games ago, post-Palace, everyone was on top of the world and CH was King. No all of a sudden we're going down and we need to change the manager!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If what I’m suggesting is wrong, tell me why it’s wrong?

As you wish. This is what I wrote on the other identical thread on this:

I think his tactics and management are absolutely perfect to keeping a club in the Prem. Highly unlikely to get top half. But also not going to do a Huddersfield. That's all we need right now. Brighton are building something big. Stadium. Facilities. International partnerships. A youth set up full of talent. A larger fan base. A reputation as a premier league club. A great recruitment team. Sponsorships. Income. Talented coaches top to bottom.

All of that will have us experiencing top level football for decades to come, under all types of managers, with all kinds of players, good seasons, bad seasons, amazing seasons. Why would anyone risk throwing it away in a battle to finish 10th in 2020. Why would that even matter, if set against the risk of falling out before we're ready?

I think those saying that we're just Brighton, punching above our weight, careful what we wish for, are also missing the point a little. There's a lot to wish for - which is precisely why we need CH at this time in our history.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
It's our second season in the Premier League and we are in the Semi-final of the effing FA Cup. Sheesh!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
No idea why anyone thought the PL would be much fun. Scrap the hype of being here and you realise the top 6 sides are miles better than anyone else bar the odd rogue season where someone breaks in for 1 year.
CH plays the way he thinks will get us over the line come the end of the season. It’s not great to watch 99% of time but it’s worked ok so far. We are 5 points above the drop Cardiff have 6 games to play and playing a 1st FA cup semi final in 35 years. Granted we will most likely be tonked by city but at least we are there.
We are still right down the bottom in terms of wages and money spent but why should TB keep spending money from his own pocket. CH is given the job to keep us up again this year and hopefully that is what he does.
I am yet to hear a candidate who is going to Make us kick on especially with the players we have.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
1.There's no shame in losing to Chelsea and all 3 goals tonight were quality finishes.
2. If we beat City Hughton's a legend.
3. If we sack Hughton we become a laughing stock.

Outside of Sussex, few have expected us to be 15th in the table and we have a great opportunity to finish higher.

1. There is shame in NIL shots on target within penalty area, no matter who oppo is;
2. Only if we then beat W/W;
3. Possibly, but who cares? Top people recognise when one of theirs has reached his or her potential and can add no more. F*** what CH has done in the past; only the future counts. Tough, but that is how it is. Don't think TB has yet reached that conclusion but bottom of table after 10 next season might focus minds.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No. We now are on a level playing field, and have the right to expect better from the money Tony has invested. In those days we punched above our weight, now we don't punch at all.
No, STOKE don't punch at all, MIDDLESBROUGH don't punch at all, SWANSEA don't punch at all, and Huddersfield and Fulham has better sort their shit out or they won't either.

We are still highly likely to stay up and a sensible summer will see us fine.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I don't think he deserves to be sacked at all. But I would like him to go. I can count on one hand the amount of enjoyable games we've had this season. We are so so poor and just unbelievably boring to watch, can we please, sometimes, just attack a bit? 1 shot all game tonight. Every away game is the exact same typical loss, 2 or 3 nil with us never looking like scoring. Thank god we've got Wembley to look forward to because this season has been pretty painful to watch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is because he is a Spuds man. They know their place in London.

How come you have managed nearly 6000 posts on here and not been chucked off for being a 'some other London club supporting' ****? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here