Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] old Brighton V Palace and Chelsea photos

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Following the Kit Napier thread I've dug out some old photos that some of you oldies might remember and some of you younger ones might like to see

Not sure how these will come out but the one with the snow states "BHA V Crystal Palace. Spectators standing on piles of snow that was cleared from the pitch, as they watch CP in a pre match warm up"

The other two are BHA V Chelsea (18/2/67) in the FA Cup 4th Round. "The Brighton supporters cheer their teams first goal", and, "Brighton Inside Right Wally Gould is sent full length onto the ground. Players in the picture include Ron Harris (6), Charlie Cooke (7), Eddie McCreadie (3) and Kirkup (2)"
John Boyle was sent off and Tommy Docherty was Chelsea's manager.

Were you at either match? turn your lap top sideways!!

img016a.jpgimg025a.jpgimg024a.jpg

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Wasn't at these, remember a Chelsea pre season friendly where Chelsea took over the North Stand and a policeman shoved me into the middle of them. I sidled off!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Size of that flask in picture 2 :ohmy:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
On Feb 2 1963, not long after that Palace game (we weren,t big rivals in those days) we played Halifax at the Goldstone. It was during the "big freeze" winter of 62-63 and loads of us kids were let in free after helping to shovel snow off the pitch to get the game on. We ended up sitting on the piles of snow along the touchline. It was one of the few games played in Britain that day and was shown (highlights) on BBC that evening (no MOTD then I think) First time I had ever seen the Albion on TV too. BTW we lost 1-0.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On Feb 2 1963, not long after that Palace game (we weren,t big rivals in those days) we played Halifax at the Goldstone. It was during the "big freeze" winter of 62-63 and loads of us kids were let in free after helping to shovel snow off the pitch to get the game on. We ended up sitting on the piles of snow along the touchline. It was one of the few games played in Britain that day and was shown (highlights) on BBC that evening (no MOTD then I think) First time I had ever seen the Albion on TV too. BTW we lost 1-0.
62C32827-E3E9-4A10-914F-FEFF312E6A68.jpeg

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes, I was at the match versus Chelsea, standing on the West Terrace near the front and just behind Cyril Hodges in the trainer's box.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

I do believe they also used a tar-melting machine (the sort used for roadworks) to help thaw out the pitch! Three years before my time but it was one of those stories.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here