Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Should Bruno........

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The captain of the day should, i.e. Dunk I guess?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
depends if he's playing.
There's a fair chance he won't even make the bench.

Personally I would love to see him start on Saturday.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That is a tricky one.

I know the club wanted the (banned) Fozzie Foster to lead out the team at Wembley but he couldn't..... because he was banned. Not sure what the etiquete is / FA rules say. I don't think it has to be the captain that leads the team out but if he isn't in the match day squad the blazers would have something to say no doubt.

But yes, of course he should if he can - to acknowledge his bloody brilliant contribution to the club. The man is a machine and a legend.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If they get to the final, yeah, maybe. Doesn't seem right *just* for the semi though.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Nice sentiment, but as he didn't start at Millwall, I'd say its pretty unlikely.
Part of the after game celebrations, and possibly lifting the Cup..... Sure

Edit-Oh just as a gesture without starting- fair point

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Nice sentiment, but as he didn't start at Millwall, I'd say its pretty unlikely.
Part of the after game celebrations, and possibly lifting the Cup..... Sure

It's not so much as sentiment. I feel that Bruno orchestrates how the team plays and he is exactly what has been missing in our recent awful displays. I would play him over Montoya on merit and what he brings to the game over sentiment, unless he is unfit or injured.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
No. Be a bit strange leading the team out and then sitting on the bench

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's not so much as sentiment. I feel that Bruno orchestrates how the team plays and he is exactly what has been missing in our recent awful displays. I would play him over Montoya on merit and what he brings to the game over sentiment, unless he is unfit or injured.

A club legend he may well be, but unfortunately, for my money at least, Bruno's days are just about up. Martin Montoya is our current first choice right back, and with age on his side is now a better player than Bruno.

Football is a team game, and putting our recent poor performances down to one man, (i.e. Bruno not being in the team), is over simplifying the problems in the extreme.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A club legend he may well be, but unfortunately, for my money at least, Bruno's days are just about up. Martin Montoya is our current first choice right back, and with age on his side is now a better player than Bruno.

Football is a team game, and putting our recent poor performances down to one man, (i.e. Bruno not being in the team), is over simplifying the problems in the extreme.

I disagree but it's all about opinions.

I'm not blaming Montoya for our poor performances. I am just saying that we are missing Bruno and the way he conducts the team out of defence.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Interesting that you say that.

I have seen plenty of comments that Montoya is head and shoulders above Bruno but I just don't see it.
On Saturday, it was painfully apparent to me that Montoya was regularly out of position in a way that Bruno, frankly never is.

Completely understand that he is the future and Bruno will not be with us for much longer.
But with games coming thick and fast, I would be appalled if we did not see the Maestro start a few games over the next month or so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I have seen plenty of comments that Montoya is head and shoulders above Bruno but I just don't see it.
On Saturday, it was painfully apparent to me that Montoya was regularly out of position in a way that Bruno, frankly never is.

Completely understand that he is the future and Bruno will not be with us for much longer.
But with games coming thick and fast, I would be appalled if we did not see the Maestro start a few games over the next month or so.

Agreed. I also think that going forward he combines with Knocky down the right FAR better than Montoya does. They have built up a great understanding over the years.

(This of course assumes that we manage to breach the halfway line occasionally on Saturday)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I agree. Duffy plays better when Bruno is to his right, and Bruno tells Knockaert where to run. If CH thinks Montoya is better, let him play against Chelsea and let Bruno play on our fun day out at Wembley.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree but it's all about opinions.

I'm not blaming Montoya for our poor performances. I am just saying that we are missing Bruno and the way he conducts the team out of defence.

I think you can see Montoya get better recently and he speaks a bit of English now which is probably contributing to the better performances

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
with age on his side is now a better player than Bruno.

He’s definitely younger but doesn’t have anywhere near the same level of technical ability or attacking prowess and flair that Bruno still has despite his age.

Montoya seems unable to cement close working relationships with whoever plays in front of him in the same way Bruno did.

Personally the fear CH has of Bruno being outdone for pace and subsequently dropping him has IMO contributed to a number of our lacklustre home performances this season.

I’d have been up for rotating them home and away but what do I know?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here