Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U23's

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think it's superb that over the past two - three years we've invested in building a strong U23 squad. That said I don't get along to many games so I just wondered if anyone on here feels they could identify any of the investments that we've made that will break into the first team/ Premier League, and when?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Aaron Connolly
Jayson Molumby

Both Irish lads and very well thought of. I would hope to see them introduced to the first team squad and getting a place on the bench at least in the next year or two. It's not guaranteed though (what is?) as we've got Percy Tau and McAllister yet to feature.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
More a case of the big sides not bothering I think. Didn’t United get relegated last season?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Gyokeres has sort of broken in by virtue of the FA Cup, but he didn't really impose himself, and it illustrated the huge gap between U23 and first team level.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So is the investment strategy right? Should we be spending more to develop a better base talent or do we continue as we are and develop players that can't break into our first team but get sold on as talented Premier League squad players?

Personally I think we need to look at clubs like stains who've developed some incredibly talented (valuable) players but try to keep hold of them and this helps us build a Top 10 ability squad.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I would think, there is no direct route into the first team and players will need to spend a couple of seasons in n Championship before making the leap and establishing themselves.

Molumby and Connelly are certainly prospects and I wouldn’t write off Victor or Christian Walton.

Ben White and Ben Hall are getting experience and hopefully they can get championship loans next season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would think, there is no direct route into the first team and players will need to spend a couple of seasons in n Championship before making the leap and establishing themselves.

Molumby and Connelly are certainly prospects and I wouldn’t write off Victor or Christian Walton.

Ben White and Ben Hall are getting experience and hopefully they can get championship loans next season.

Molumby, Connolly and the two Bens do seem highly thought of. Plus Max Sanders.
Walton is a bit of a quandary. I think he should be our number two next year, or what's the point. I did hear though, that Ben Roberts actually rates Robert Sanchez higher, so possibly he is the one who will ultimately come through?

Of the younger candidates, Hayden Roberts sounds decent.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Robert Sanchez will need a lot more development from what I have seen, and will no doubt get that experience by being loaned out to League 1 and Championship clubs. Think he will be 2 years at least before he breaks into first team. Walton is getting experience in the Championship but what is the next step for him, to sit on the bench with us? Not sure.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
It's a good point though, we would develop but they'd cut their teeth in League One etc and then come back to the fold, I'd just like to think as each season progresses we start to see players come through. If TV money is £150m and we spend £50m or so each year on players we're going to need to develop talent also. Add to this we do develop the next Lionel Messi then we could also get a great player and keep hold or have a great player briefly and get a mega bundle of cash to spend on other players.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There's also a good keeper in the U18s

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I think it's superb that over the past two - three years we've invested in building a strong U23 squad. That said I don't get along to many games so I just wondered if anyone on here feels they could identify any of the investments that we've made that will break into the first team/ Premier League, and when?

https://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
So effectively we won't see an 18/19 year old play for the first team while we're in the Premier League?

If that's the case, either we're not attracting the right talent, or we're taking the wrong approach.

Our top talents should be blooded at the club, like Fulham did with Sessegnon, or like Southampton are with Obafemi.

That will be the case just not with the current age group anything u16 is where the real talent is I would guess atm

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
So effectively we won't see an 18/19 year old play for the first team while we're in the Premier League?

If that's the case, either we're not attracting the right talent, or we're taking the wrong approach.

Our top talents should be blooded at the club, like Fulham did with Sessegnon, or like Southampton are with Obafemi.

Good points, Southampton are probably 5 years or more ahead of us when it comes to youth development (Ward-Prowse, Sims. Obafemi to name a few). Sessegnon is a prodigious talent and will end up at a top six club and I think London clubs have always had an advantage due to location). I genuinely believe that our policy will pay dividends in the mid term but I can’t see 18 or 19yr olds playing for the first team. Tau if he gets permission, McAllister and the Romanian lad will probably leap frog our U23s when they join next season. They need to be playing for Championship clubs even if it’s for half a season. Harvey Barnes being a good example, has had a great season which started on loan at WBA and now he is first team at Leicester. You need to be a pretty special player to break in to any team in PL as a teenager, let’s hope there will be some down the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here