PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Stamford Bridge
Date: Wednesday 3rd April 2019
Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Referee: Graham Scott
Assistants: Michael McDonough, Neil Davies
Fourth official: Kevin Friend

TEAM NEWS

Chelsea's Eden Hazard and N'Golo Kante are expected to be restored to the starting line-up, while Maurizio Sarri has intimated Callum Hudson-Odoi could get a first Premier League start.

Left-back Marcos Alonso is unlikely to feature because of a hamstring problem.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton is weighing up whether to rotate his squad ahead of Saturday's FA Cup semi-final.

Striker Florin Andone is available for selection after missing three games due to injury but Pascal Gross remains out.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Chris Wise: Chelsea's victory at Cardiff on Sunday partially masks several issues that are threatening to bubble to the surface at Stamford Bridge.

Supporters' patience is seemingly wearing thin with Maurizio Sarri. It'll be interesting to see if he can appease his critics even slightly by handing more opportunities to Chelsea's patiently waiting youthful contingent. And yet amongst it all, a Champions League place is very possible.

Brighton also have a dotted line they intend to end above. They have games in hand on all those around them at the bottom, but the most recent home defeat to Southampton makes matters a little more nervy than they needed to be.

I'm sure Chris Hughton would take a positive result from just one of their two trips to London this week, what with Saturday's Wembley FA Cup semi-final also on the horizon.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri on supporters' criticism: "We need to improve. We need to play better. We want to try to change their opinion.

"I think that they have to help the players during the match. After, they can say anything but during I hope they can help my players.

"I think we are a group and at the moment I think we are a good group so I think that it's not helpful for my players. For me it isn't a problem, I am 60 so I can understand but when I was 25 it was probably different."

Chris Hughton: "We are a team in our development that are still going to have tough games every week - we are not going to be in a position where we can regard ourselves as comfortable, and we haven't been.

"We know that we are reliant on playing well and the opposition playing poorly - anything different to that then the top six teams are generally always going to win."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Chelsea have won all seven previous league meetings by an aggregate score of 14-2.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost their four away trips to Chelsea in league and cup, failing to score each time.
    [*=left]Chelsea could win 10 successive fixtures against the same opposition in all competitions for the first time since 2014 (versus Bolton).
    [*=left]Brighton's only victory in 11 matches against Chelsea came at home in the FA Cup third round in 1933.

Chelsea

• [*=left]Chelsea have lost just one home league game this campaign (W9, D5), and kept six clean sheets in their last nine matches at Stamford Bridge.
    [*=left]They have 60 points after 31 Premier League fixtures, four more than they had at this stage of last season.
    [*=left]Maurizio Sarri's side have conceded the opening goal in each of their last three league matches.
    [*=left]The Blues are the only Premier League club not to have received a red card in 2018-19.
    [*=left]Eden Hazard has been directly involved in 14 of Chelsea's 29 home league goals this term, scoring eight and setting up six.
    [*=left]If selected, N'Golo Kante will be making his 100th Premier League appearance for the Blues.

Albion

• [*=left]Brighton are looking to win successive away league fixtures for the first time since November 2017.
    [*=left]They have lost all nine of their Premier League away matches against the established top six, scoring just twice.
    [*=left]Brighton have conceded at least once in each of their last 10 away league fixtures.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have claimed 11 away points this term; only the current bottom three have accrued fewer.
    [*=left]They have won just one of their 11 midweek Premier League games (D5, L5).
    [*=left]Chris Hughton has won just one of his 10 competitive fixtures as a manager against Chelsea (D2, L7), a 4-3 League Cup victory with Newcastle at Stamford Bridge in 2010.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Record v chelsea is a depressing read. Basically we might get a shot on target, but a goal is wishful thinking and dreams of taking a point or more is enough to get you sectioned by sounds of. Still, see there.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gurjit reckons 2-0 Chelsea, I am going for a famous 2-1 away win.

:clap:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
My Sauce tells me the following:

Bruno and Bong to start
March in for Knocky
Andone in for Murray
Locadia was due to start but injured his calf

And Izzy isn't fully fit and needs a knee op at the end of the season, wonder why he is in any squad??

Don't shoot the messenger.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My Sauce tells me the following:

Bruno and Bong to start
March in for Knocky
Andone in for Murray
Locadia was due to start but injured his calf

And Izzy isn't fully fit and needs a knee op at the end of the season, wonder why he is in any squad??

Don't shoot the messenger.
been thinking that for a while now

how serious is the Locadia injury

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is a FREE HIT. Our GD over Cardiff is so good that I reckon Chris will UNLEASH the players and we will TONK them 1-0 with a Shane Duffy header.

Or we will lose 2-0 and register 1 shot.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Let's just go for it tonight and get a win +3pts.
Why not :shrug:
Most experts have us down for a loss.
So let's stick the proverbial middle finger to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here