Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Local Radio survey

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Hi all

I haven't posted on here for years, but some of you may remember me as the former Amex stadium announcer until a few years ago.

I'm also a local radio presenter and recently the radio industry has seen a lot of change. It is affecting local stations, not just in Sussex, but across the UK.

I'm doing some important research into the issue and I am running a survey, the results of which will be given to MPs, Ofcom etc.

If you listen to radio in Sussex, or anywhere in the UK. Could you please take the survey? It's really short, should only take 60 seconds to complete. It would be great to hear your opinions on the subject.

The survey can be found here https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/WNG27NS

Thanks for your time :albion2:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I love radio, mostly Radio 4 and 5 but I listen to local stations too. Real travesty what Global have done to local radio, whether it is something you listen to or not. Where will future radio talent - both national and local - learn their craft, hone their skills and develop their style and voice now?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Done, I can't believe you will get anything meaningful from those questions but good luck anyway!

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
It's an issue that has sadly gone largely unnoticed by mainstream media. Maybe something to do with the brexit shambles. But it's something I feel has slipped largely under the radar.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's an issue that has sadly gone largely unnoticed by mainstream media. Maybe something to do with the brexit shambles. But it's something I feel has slipped largely under the radar.

I can't believe the regulator has permitted it, to be honest.

I understand the current locally produced Global output will end at the end of April and the presenters and production staff will be paid until the end of the year if they don't rock the boat on air in the meantime.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Done. Used to enjoy listening to Juice and Southern Sound. It’s a crime they disappeared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I can't believe the regulator has permitted it, to be honest.

I understand the current locally produced Global output will end at the end of April and the presenters and production staff will be paid until the end of the year if they don't rock the boat on air in the meantime.

I used to listen to Kiss FM and Choice FM, when they were stations without all the bullshit that you get now.
Now I listen to MiSoul, broadcast from Bristol on DAB radio.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Done and good luck. Long live local radio

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Done. Used to enjoy listening to Juice and Southern Sound. It’s a crime they disappeared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to work on Juice for a few years. Shame its no longer there and now the only 3 hours of "regional" programming a day on 107.2 will be coming from Fareham and the rest from London.

Southern was a GREAT station and the reason I got into radio in the first place.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Done

Local radio should be eclectic. Not bland and brand like a lot of stations out there.
Let DJs play the music people ask to hear, rather than the shackles of an irrelevant playlist.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm a broadcast engineer* for two co-operated but different format ILRs in Ireland and find what has been allowed by the UK regulators shocking, and I worry that the regulator here may see it as precedent.

We'd play relatively formulaic music on both of them but nowhere as tight as the Heart/Smooth/Capital rotations; we have no shared presenters even on the co-sited stations, we have no networked shows whatsoever - take networked news after 7pm only, even though the same company owns stations elsewhere in the country. If this is still possible in a market 1/12th that of the UK how the hell is it not possible in the UK?

*and IT manager, and overpaid handyman, etc etc - I suspect that's the same in the UK!

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I'm a broadcast engineer* for two co-operated but different format ILRs in Ireland and find what has been allowed by the UK regulators shocking, and I worry that the regulator here may see it as precedent.

We'd play relatively formulaic music on both of them but nowhere as tight as the Heart/Smooth/Capital rotations; we have no shared presenters even on the co-sited stations, we have no networked shows whatsoever - take networked news after 7pm only, even though the same company owns stations elsewhere in the country. If this is still possible in a market 1/12th that of the UK how the hell is it not possible in the UK?

*and IT manager, and overpaid handyman, etc etc - I suspect that's the same in the UK!

Hopefully it won't happen quite as drastically as it has here. It may be wise for regulators in other countries to "wait and see" what happens following deregulation in the UK...because it could easily turn out to be a disaster.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I can't stand local radio. But it would be a shame for it to be lost for those who do enjoy it. I generally find the presenters very annoying and completely up their own arses. When I have unfortunately had to put up with 'Jack the Lad' in the mornings in the car share I cannot think of a more irritating **** on TV and Radio.

Still as I said different strokes for different folkes it would be a shame to lose it, what would I then moan about. However I will stick to 6 Music and Spotify in the car.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I can't stand local radio. But it would be a shame for it to be lost for those who do enjoy it.

Still as I said different strokes for different folkes it would be a shame to lose it, what would I then moan about. However I will stick to 6 Music and Spotify in the car.

Absolutely. It's all about different tastes, opinions and choices and that's hopefully what the survey will show. Thanks for your time :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here