Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When we're good and ready, if it's ok with you.

Personally a bit sick of all this CH 'shackled' bolleaux. Most of these guys all had plenty of chances to shine last season. Most failed to step up to the mark.

If people are being asked to do things that are not the best use of their talents, that they maybe don't enjoy doing etc etc, then they are not going to be happy with it.

And if they are not happy with what they are being asked to do, they could well end up not doing I as well as they might.

I can imagine the answer to this will be "they're professional footballers, it's up to them to do it and do it well"...…. which is true up to a point, but maybe people weren't handled particularly well - I don't know. But there is the concept of "emotional intelligence", which I think Mr Potter will be well aware of, and which other people might dismiss as rowlocks..... We shall see.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If people are being asked to do things that are not the best use of their talents, that they maybe don't enjoy doing etc etc, then they are not going to be happy with it.

And if they are not happy with what they are being asked to do, they could well end up not doing I as well as they might.

I can imagine the answer to this will be "they're professional footballers, it's up to them to do it and do it well"...…. which is true up to a point, but maybe people weren't handled particularly well - I don't know. But there is the concept of "emotional intelligence", which I think Mr Potter will be well aware of, and which other people might dismiss as rowlocks..... We shall see.

Sorry, but you sound like one of those guys that was backing the likes of CMS or COG to the hilt right up to the day we got rid. Strongly suspect you're in for an autumn of disappointment. Oh well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, but you sound like one of those guys that was backing the likes of CMS or COG to the hilt right up to the day we got rid. Strongly suspect you're in for an autumn of disappointment. Oh well.

I take it if IF we happen to be in for an Autumn of Excitement you'll be first in line to say "blimey I got that really wrong".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can count on it - IF one of these 'unshackled' existing players turns out to not be a waste of a squad number, let alone TB's millions.

Good, I do find the opposite view rather puzzling.
They often read like 2019 didn't happen and the Albion are still playing like it's the Championship.

As said elsewhere Tony Bloom, one of the countries most astute, analytical, financially intelligent, super rich people, has made a multi million pound bet.

Quite how others can say "he's wrong" and assume they won't end up looking a bit of a ninny is all a little odd.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why are people writing off the chance that some of our attack minded players may have more opportunity to express themselves better on the ball with a new attack minded manager in charge?

Have we already forgotten the way players such as Alexis Sanchez played for Mourinho after looking so good under Wenger? What about when Bergkamp was at Inter Milan and then went to Arsenal and flourished once Wenger came in? Or Ginola at Newcastle who then goes to Spurs, gets given the free role and look what a player he turned out to be.
Managerial change can have s huge impact on players either way. To write off the idea that players who underperformed under CH could perform differently under GP are just holding on to the negativity of last season. Players like El Abd were transformed when a new manager came in. Let's give our players ca chance instead of writing them off based on extremely negative football

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good, I do find the opposite view rather puzzling.
They often read like 2019 didn't happen and the Albion are still playing like it's the Championship.

As said elsewhere Tony Bloom, one of the countries most astute, analytical, financially intelligent, super rich people, has made a multi million pound bet.

Quite how others can say "he's wrong" and assume they won't end up looking a bit of a ninny is all a little odd.

TB might well be all of those good things but it took Cardiff to blow multiple late season chances to save their sorry hides to ensure the Albion's continued PL existence. As TB knows more than anybody.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
TB might well be all of those good things but it took Cardiff to blow multiple late season chances to save their sorry hides to ensure the Albion's continued PL existence. As TB knows more than anybody.

I could be wrong but didn't we draw to Newcastle, wolves and Arsenal, only losing to Spurs and Man City in our final 5 games of the season?

If so, you can't give all the credit to Cardiff for us achieving survival last season. We dug deep when required. Signs we're good enough for this division

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Personally a bit sick of all this CH 'shackled' bolleaux. Most of these guys all had plenty of chances to shine last season. Most failed to step up to the mark.

You’ll just have to wait until August at the earliest to see if you are right.....you’re not though :wink:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What are you getting at re the CH is still looking for work....oh let me guess ..he’s not in another job because he’s not good enough?

Re the under 23’s...well some of us go to watch a few games....perhaps if we were in the Championship or league one one or some may have been seen..but we aren’t....TB himself has said it takes a fair time to get a result out of the investment.

I’ll go back to my original point ..I’ve not seen and don’t think CH was sacked because he didn’t play an U23 player...obviously the club want a return on their investment and hopefully they will get it sooner rather than later.
Disappointed that I am over the CH departure ...I can see the logic behind the feeling we’ve gone as far as we can with the enormous success we’ve had under him...Potter is a bold move ..but rather him than those older managers doing the circuit ...whether he does the ‘youths bit remains to be seen

I actually meant that he might have a job that none of us were aware of, or was at the discussion stage. Nothing disrespectful intended. I think you're being a little over-protective of Hughton.

We'll just have to disagree on the U23 situation, especially as neither of us know if it was a factor or not. Out of interest: How many U23 games did you see to evaluate the squad?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

How does Solly March being told not to go too far forward fit into your bolleaux evaluation?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Not quite - I think there is a distinct difference in quality between CMS, COG and some of the players we are talking about in our present squad.

I don't understand how anybody can write Propper off when he is a Dutch international and Ajax - who reached the Champions League semi-final playing some very attractive football - are looking at him as a potential transfer target.

Obviously it may go all wrong with Mr Potter, as it did with mr Hyppia, but I think he is a lot more promising. We shall see!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why are people writing off the chance that some of our attack minded players may have more opportunity to express themselves better on the ball with a new attack minded manager in charge?

Have we already forgotten the way players such as Alexis Sanchez played for Mourinho after looking so good under Wenger? What about when Bergkamp was at Inter Milan and then went to Arsenal and flourished once Wenger came in? Or Ginola at Newcastle who then goes to Spurs, gets given the free role and look what a player he turned out to be.
Managerial change can have s huge impact on players either way. To write off the idea that players who underperformed under CH could perform differently under GP are just holding on to the negativity of last season. Players like El Abd were transformed when a new manager came in. Let's give our players ca chance instead of writing them off based on extremely negative football

Adam El-Abd is ALWAYS the example I think of when I think about players who were a joke became one hell of a player. He was a punchline before Gus came in, but not two minutes after being through the door, he publically says that El-Abd is the best at defending at the club. No longer is he shunted to full back or into a holding midfield role, no. The man is a centre back, and a damned good one at that. Which is why he's continuing his career in the football league and at a good standard.

Me-nah-me-nah, do do do do...

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Adam El-Abd is ALWAYS the example I think of when I think about players who were a joke became one hell of a player. He was a punchline before Gus came in, but not two minutes after being through the door, he publically says that El-Abd is the best at defending at the club. No longer is he shunted to full back or into a holding midfield role, no. The man is a centre back, and a damned good one at that. Which is why he's continuing his career in the football league and at a good standard.

I always think Butters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I actually meant that he might have a job that none of us were aware of, or was at the discussion stage. Nothing disrespectful intended. I think you're being a little over-protective of Hughton.

We'll just have to disagree on the U23 situation, especially as neither of us know if it was a factor or not. Out of interest: How many U23 games did you see to evaluate the squad?

Hmm ..not sure I am.
Yes I think it’s sensible to agree to disagree
Enough to form an opinion ...but hey who knows ...there’s a lot of unknowns right now

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

From El Bad to legend. I remember him roughing up some players with hilarious consequences. And when he cleared out a wall so that Vicente could score from a free kick. Magic, and a testament to smart coaching.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
No he didn't. Here's the statement:

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/may/club-statement-chris-hughton/

"“Our run of 3 wins from 23 Premier League matches put our status at significant risk. It is with that in mind, and the performances during that period, that I now feel it’s the right time for a change."

It does not say that the goal was to finish higher than the previous season.

Well it was one of 3 explicit goals and your beloved Chris failed it. Sorry but I cannot remember where I read it, and I cannot be ar$ed to go hunting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here