Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps he was more open in March to this move - when he was being used as a defensive midfielder - than he is now with a new manager and probable changed remit on the pitch.

Nothing a chat with Potter, and a new contract, won't resolve I suspect.

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
With any deal you have to compare it to other deals going on within the market. 21m for a regular Dutch international who is about to hit their prime doesn't look to be good value when you see Liverpool wanting 25m for a player from their academy who has never played a game in the Premier League.

Fair enough, but you could compare it to deals like Andre Gomes who’s a similar player to Pröpper and Barca are asking for £25 mil, I do see what you are saying though, maybe 21m is a bit low.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What does that actually mean. ? He has played and started every game for us when he's been fit.
And Is it just a given now that he should be playing as a no.10 in a 4-4-1-1 formation rather than in a 2 or 3 man midfield.
Perhaps he's just underperformed (goals and assists).
Is the answer to everything now - "Hughton didn't get the best out of him"

So he's underperformed and yet he's started every game for us when fit? What does that tell you about how highly he's rated?

For all the (very strange) criticism he's received on here, he's got essentially the same numbers as Stephens for us both offensively and defensively. Which is unsurprising considering they played the same position for the first half of the season and then they both played as part of a three man midfield which was essentially flat in a deep lying, defensive side for the second half of the season (minus about 5 games where we did go more offensive).

So no, the answer is probably that Hughton got exactly what he wanted out of it. The question that is unanswered is whether he'd have got more out of him by using him more offensively and whether he'd have been a better player in a more offensive side who are much better with the ball. My feeling is that he would, a number of people on here think he wouldn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm I may be reading too much into this, but from today’s Argus interview I don’t see a player that is looking forward to and hoping to still be at the Albion next season :down:

I hope that if he wants to go TB insists he stays until January to see if he can fulfil his ambition to be higher up the table, and no doubt playing in a more forward and less defensive position. He may just love it, and I guess it’s potentially possible if GP is as good as we hope :shrug:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sp...davy-propper-aims-to-end-tough-year-in-style/

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hmmm I may be reading too much into this, but from today’s Argus interview I don’t see a player that is looking forward to and hoping to still be at the Albion next season :down:

I hope that if he wants to go TB insists he stays until January to see if he can fulfil his ambition to be higher ip the table, and no doubt playing in a more forward and less defensive position. He may just love it, and I guess it’s potentially possible if GP is as good as we hope shrug:

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/sp...davy-propper-aims-to-end-tough-year-in-style/

Sounds more like he is glad that Hughton has gone, certainly doesn’t seem impressed about the football we played or his role within the system.

Propper was certainly more of a square peg, round hole this season....... his defensive work isn’t the strongest part of his game and we really need to find a way to get the best out of some of our more talented players.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If we can get £20m for him, happy days.
If not, he may well do better under potter.
It sounds like he’s pleased hughton has gone

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I don’t know much about Potter’s tactical shape and method. But surely we’ve all seen enough of Propper’s ground ball skills, gliding past players with ease (on the rare occasion he was given licence to do so), to know he is one of, if not the best player we currently have, to test out at number 10 (or similar role) in the new team. As BV said earlier on this thread, a chat with Potter about this, and a new contract, would suffice....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Think it was PSV - not PSG - a bit of a difference. But I’d take £20m + . Good player but too inconsistent.

Under Hughton he was shackled, give him freedom and he will bloom, we haven't seen anything like the best of him yet. I think he is a Potter like player and under him he could be the lynch pin of the side. He is a player who l would want to keep, almost at any price.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Davy Pröpper is a very good central midfielder who will recycle play and pick out a pass. He isn't a number 10 no matter how much people want to believe it!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Makes me laugh how people say he was shackled and couldn't express himself.

Ok so this may be a factor but he was absolute dog turd a lot of the time and he has played over 65 games !!

You would think aside from the system (if he was what some people are now saying he is) , he would of shown a little bit more. I can't remember many games where he took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on. Struggling to think of 1 if I'm honest !

The system change may help but he needs to massively improve if he is going to make it in this league.

21m I think we can do better

Happy to keep and wipe slate clean but equally not a loss as he's never done anything

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Ok so this may be a factor but he was absolute dog turd a lot of the time and he has played over 65 games !!

You would think aside from the system (if he was what some people are now saying he is) , he would of shown a little bit more. I can't remember many games where he took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on. Struggling to think of 1 if I'm honest !

The system change may help but he needs to massively improve if he is going to make it in this league.

Happy to keep and wipe slate clean but equally not a loss as he's never done anything

Hmmm... I disagree... Chris definitely inhibited our midfielders, including Davey P, and forwards, and I believe you will see that next season... of course, that may mean we ship too many goals...

Also, he is a Dutch international with 2 seasons Prem experience, so we should be asking a lot more than £21M IMHO... if Ajax don't meet a higher valuation, then we should tell them to 'do one' IMHO... and I believe Tony will do just that...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

So you're basically saying he's rubbish, but then saying we can do better than £21m for him?

Personally I subscribe to the "possibly the best player we've got" faction.... and hope we keep him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here