Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm not dismissing pace, this is going to take some huge leaps of faith so hang in there:-

Instead of maintaining possession with reasonably safe passes to feet what if

- Dunk wins possession.
- Passes the ball FORWARD 20 (twenty) yards to Propper.
- Already alive to the situation Ali J has gone past the previously pressing fullback.
- Propper plays a one (certainly no more that two) touch pass FORWARD behind the now back pedaling fullback.
- As switched on is Andone, who was on the halfway line and is new making a bee-line to goal.

No player has to have any great speed in that equation, but the ball needs to do a lot of very accurate work very quickly.

It must be possible I've seen other teams do it. :lol:

Naturally though one mistake and 4 possibly even 5 players are out of position the Albion are 1-0 down.
With half of us are screaming for defensive cover while the other half are smugly rubbing their chins.

Speed of thought is often more important than actual speed at this level. Look at Rooney, Scholes, Beckham, Lampard, even Gross at our level: never blessed with huge amounts of pace but their speed of thought created opportunities and goals. The question under Potter will be about thinking two or three passes ahead I feel rather than seemingly reacting once you get ball to feet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You can't keep a player if he wants away.....months of sulking and disruption to the squad - take the money.
We kept Stephens, despite a transfer request, and won promotion.

You'd have to think Propper is much more suited to Potter's tactics than Chris's, we really should do what we can to try him with our new system.

Of course I could understand Propper wanting to play CL football, but wouldn't he also want to be a success in the PL before leaving?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He was playing Dutch League football and CL football at PSV .

He left that to come here . He must see the Prem as a high level than the Dutch league and a handful of CL games.

Ajax did well last year , and if they think that Propper is the missing piece of their jigsaw for European domination then the bidding can start at £50 mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And now he has played both, maybe he wants to go back, albeit to a bigger team

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I will be gutted to see him go as I think he’s a brilliant player but this is a really good move for him, Ajax are a wonderful club. I think we will regret losing him though as we’ve never got the most out of his ability in his time here.

He deserves to be playing in his correct position for a team in the champions league rather than play as an auxiliary centre back for a team fighting relegation as he has done the last 2 seasons.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If he wants to go, which I imagine he will, he’ll be off imo. Shame as he was 100% NOT a CH player. I was looking forward to seeing him next season. Not impressed with our current known transfer rumour activity. A League One player in and a player good enough to play for one of the top teams in Europe out :lolol:

Must do better, I am wavering towards Potter OUT :wink:

Lewis Dunk played in League 1 at the same age.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see Propper looking at home in a much bigger, better side than ours.

Think Dusan Tadic at Ajax now.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not dismissing pace, this is going to take some huge leaps of faith so hang in there:-

Instead of maintaining possession with reasonably safe passes to feet what if

- Dunk wins possession.
- Passes the ball FORWARD 20 (twenty) yards to Propper.
- Already alive to the situation Ali J has gone past the previously pressing fullback.
- Propper plays a one (certainly no more that two) touch pass FORWARD behind the now back pedaling fullback.
- As switched on is Andone, who was on the halfway line and is new making a bee-line to goal.

No player has to have any great speed in that equation, but the ball needs to do a lot of very accurate work very quickly.

It must be possible I've seen other teams do it. :lol:

Naturally though one mistake and 4 possibly even 5 players are out of position the Albion are 1-0 down.
With half of us are screaming for defensive cover while the other half are smugly rubbing their chins.

Ultimately with a more offensive strategy and players running into space, you also have to adapt a number of things defensively such as how you press, where your defensive line is and where you make your tackles. If Dunk or Propper lose the ball in that situation then maybe you're in trouble against the best sides, but the others players losing it, if you're high enough up the pitch and you press/foul quickly enough, then you're not likely to concede.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see Propper looking at home in a much bigger, better side than ours.

Think Dusan Tadic at Ajax now.

He could join Celtic if he wants play for a big club in a shit league and and a handful of CL group matches.

Ajax are not perennial CL semi finalists , last time was 1996/97 so last season was not the norm for Ajax .

If they can keep the band together then they might do well again but can’t see Propper breaking into the starting XI if I’m honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I don't think that's how fans will see it. Fans don't like seeing us lose, so if we're passing the ball around, trying to attack, and then get beaten, fans will soon get fed up.

Up until Christmas, we were playing our standard solid style. It wasn't exciting, but we were getting results and the fans liked it. We then changed to a more attacking style and fans liked it at first, even though we lost. Losing soon got boring though. The fans will say it's our play style they got fed up with, but the truth is it was the losing.

More attacking since Xmas? Really? Our 'apparent' formation was but in reality it was park the bus, 10 men behind the ball and hoof it to Murray. That's not attacking imho.

What was our stat of nbr of touches in the oppo's box? The worst in the PL last season.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You're aware Ajax just made the Champions League Semi-Finals, correct?

Is that the Ajax whose team are being dismantled and whose more typical performance in that competition is playing a couple of group games before bowing out?

He will be paid more here. Remember he came from PSV to begin with who recently finished 3 points behind Ajax and 25+ points ahead of the rest.

The only reasons to go as far as I can see are a) lifting the Eredivisie trophy and whatever other noddy domestic cup they have b) more time on the ball and less exertion

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is that the Ajax whose team are being dismantled and whose more typical performance in that competition is playing a couple of group games before bowing out?

He will be paid more here. Remember he came from PSV to begin with who recently finished 3 points behind Ajax and 25+ points ahead of the rest.

The only reasons to go as far as I can see are a) lifting the Eredivisie trophy and whatever other noddy domestic cup they have b) more time on the ball and less exertion

What do you think the ambitions here are? Finish 16th instead of 17th? Another good cup run?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

3) Prostitutes, lots and lots of prostitutes.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think you'll find that TB, having thrown £120m at it since getting promoted, has "got it into his head" that we should be progressing, which is not an unreasonable position to take as he's the one writing the cheques. And last season, we regressed. Nobody is EXPECTING us to start going to the big 6 and plundering points, or that we'll have a 20-goal superstar up top next season. But equally, having invested in the squad, I don't think Bloom was expecting us to stay up this time courtesy of Fulham and Palace both doing us a favour in the last 2 games.

I'm *hoping* for an improvement in performances and results under Potter, but thats a long way from "expecting" it.

Who write's cheques anymore?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Propper is the only real baller we have. Bearing in mind Potter wants possession quick passing, one touch, attacking football I would say that the Propper is absolutely PIVOTAL next season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here