Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Who is a 'better' club than Brighton, that obviously isn't Ajax?

1) He's Dutch
2) Ajax are the biggest club in Dutch Football
3) European football
4) Much more likely to win trophies

I'm amazed people see this as a step down

PSV are too then by definition and everything you list he had there (and won trophies).

You also have to consider that players don't just sign for the status of the club itself, more the nature of the league they play in.

Case in point - FC Porto are an amazing club with rich history, constant CL performers past the group stages, yet we beat them to the signing of Yves Bissouma.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
PSV are too then by definition and everything you list he had there (and won trophies).

You also have to consider that players don't just sign for the status of the club itself, more the nature of the league they play in.

Case in point - FC Porto are an amazing club with rich history, constant CL performers past the group stages, yet we beat them to the signing of Yves Bissouma.

Exactly. So you would except that now Davy Propper has experienced both sides of the coin, if he went back to Ajax he would be in the best position to make that decision then?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Messi doesn't, Ronaldinho didn't, neither did Riquelme and Murray certainly doesn't :bowdown:

Pace helps, but being quick upstairs is much more relevant.

Yes not denying that, but can’t be dismissed.
I would argue re Messi, as his quickness is from a standing start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Plenty of great forwards with no real pace. Shearer, Berbatov, Totti, Toni, Raul, Kane, etc, etc. Nobody is 'dismissing' pace, but speed of thought is easily of equivalent importance.

Stat's point is valid. A player like Kazenga Lualua could be comfortably the fastest player in our side, and yet simultaneously the one most guilty of slowing down play.

Yes I agree, but as per my point pace cannot be dismissed.

Solly slows it down, but his pace inevitably creates half a yard for a cross.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not dismissing pace, this is going to take some huge leaps of faith so hang in there:-

Instead of maintaining possession with reasonably safe passes to feet what if

- Dunk wins possession.
- Passes the ball FORWARD 20 (twenty) yards to Propper.
- Already alive to the situation Ali J has gone past the previously pressing fullback.
- Propper plays a one (certainly no more that two) touch pass FORWARD behind the now back pedaling fullback.
- As switched on is Andone, who was on the halfway line and is new making a bee-line to goal.

No player has to have any great speed in that equation, but the ball needs to do a lot of very accurate work very quickly.

It must be possible I've seen other teams do it. :lol:

Naturally though one mistake and 4 possibly even 5 players are out of position the Albion are 1-0 down.
With half of us are screaming for defensive cover while the other half are smugly rubbing their chins.

A very good example [emoji23][emoji23][emoji2]

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
More attacking since Xmas? Really?
Yes.
Our 'apparent' formation was
Exactly.
but in reality it was park the bus, 10 men behind the ball and hoof it to Murray. That's not attacking imho.
No it wasn't. We attacked, lost the ball and conceded.
What was our stat of nbr of touches in the oppo's box? The worst in the PL last season.
That's because our attempt at attacking failed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes.
Exactly.
No it wasn't. We attacked, lost the ball and conceded.
That's because our attempt at attacking failed.

So it would seem a very good idea to let someone else have a go :smile:

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Does anyone else always sing “Davy, Davy Propper..king of the wild frontier” to the tune of “Davy Crockett” the 1960s TV series that re ran on Sunday Mornings I the late 1970s in their head whenever his name is mentioned?

No? It’s just me then.

No, not just you.
I suggested the tune (to suitably adjusted lyrics) on here when he first signed.
But as usual, I was ignored.
So, I'm just glad to see I wasn't the only one that remembered the show.
It would be a shame to see him go before the new boss had a go at sculpting an attacking threat around him.
Also, I think he is worth considerably more than a paltry £18m.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Who is a 'better' club than Brighton, that obviously isn't Ajax?

1) He's Dutch
2) Ajax are the biggest club in Dutch Football
3) European football
4) Much more likely to win trophies

I'm amazed people see this as a step down

Which club has the most income ? and thus can probably pay him more ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Which club has the most income ? and thus can probably pay him more ?

£139M vs 118Euros.

Presumably Ajax Champions League run and the benefits of that + big player sales will close that gap.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Nail on the head. I'm optimistic for Potter, but cautiously so. Our fans have somehow got into their heads that we have a right to progress every season - and that we'll do it playing passing football, taking points off the big 6 away from home, with a 20 goal striker up front. Anything less than tangible, observable progress will garner little support. The "I'd rather play good football and lose" mantra is cheap rhetoric, people will turn on a sixpence if we're passing it around beautifully but still getting dicked like Fulham and Huddersfield did. Then all the talk will be "results are more important". Its the fickle nature of football fans, the same at every club and we are no different.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Indeed, you just described me to a T there!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Frenkie De Jong's sale for the better part of €60m and the inevitable departure of Mathis De Ligt for north of €50m will give them plenty to splash out. Ziyech is off as well this summer, so they've got money burning a hole in their collective pocket. If Ajax really want Davy, I think he'll probably go and you can't hold it against him. He's made a mint here and proven himself in the Premier League. He's not been used to his full potential by us, which is a disappointment in my opinion, but you wouldn't bet against him making the move. Personally, I think he's capable of playing for any of the top 6 in this league but whoever he goes to, he'll thrive a lot more than he has done here (through no fault of his own).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He's not been used to his full potential by us

What does that actually mean. ? He has played and started every game for us when he's been fit.
And Is it just a given now that he should be playing as a no.10 in a 4-4-1-1 formation rather than in a 2 or 3 man midfield.
Perhaps he's just underperformed (goals and assists).
Is the answer to everything now - "Hughton didn't get the best out of him"

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
It’s frustrating because you can see his class and he is in my opinion, our most naturally gifted player. I believe under a new manager and playing in a more attacking position he could be great, but 21m is probably a fair price. He has proven he is capable of playing on the biggest stage but I don’t think we see it enough. You could also see towards the end of the season he dropped off a little bit, maybe his head has been swayed already.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It’s frustrating because you can see his class and he is in my opinion, our most naturally gifted player. I believe under a new manager and playing in a more attacking position he could be great, but 21m is probably a fair price. He has proven he is capable of playing on the biggest stage but I don’t think we see it enough. You could also see towards the end of the season he dropped off a little bit, maybe his head has been swayed already.

Ajax will be harvesting up to €150m from player sales this summer, and every other club knows it. Paul Barber and Tony Bloom will not be selling them 'our most naturally gifted player' for £20m

Seagull122

Mar 16, 2019
What does that actually mean. ? He has played and started every game for us when he's been fit.
And Is it just a given now that he should be playing as a no.10 in a 4-4-1-1 formation rather than in a 2 or 3 man midfield.
Perhaps he's just underperformed (goals and assists).
Is the answer to everything now - "Hughton didn't get the best out of him"

I think it’s a bit of both, you can see defensively he’s not the best, which suggests he should be played higher up, but he has played in the same sort of role for PSV and Netherlands and done well. I think it’s mostly down to us being one of the weaker teams in the league. For PSV and Netherlands they mostly dominate games, so he has less responsibility to defend and has more licence to go forward.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think we should be getting a lot more than 21m for a player deemed good enough for the Champions League semi-finalists, who are going to be seriously in the money this summer. Up the figure considerably and moving him on would probably be good business for all sides, much as it would be a shame to see him leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here