Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Davy Propper to Ajax for 21m

Zamora 25

Mar 11, 2008
Brighton
Makes me laugh how people say he was shackled and couldn't express himself.

Ok so this may be a factor but he was absolute dog turd a lot of the time and he has played over 65 games !!

You would think aside from the system (if he was what some people are now saying he is) , he would of shown a little bit more. I can't remember many games where he took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on. Struggling to think of 1 if I'm honest !

The system change may help but he needs to massively improve if he is going to make it in this league.

21m I think we can do better

Happy to keep and wipe slate clean but equally not a loss as he's never done anything

Here he is again, Mr Anti Propper!:wink:

You obviously don't like the bloke for whatever reason so why bother commenting. And like the other poster said.. you think we can do better
than £21M for him but you said he's shit, and then say you'd be happy to keep him and wipe the slate clean?:lolol:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
So you're basically saying he's rubbish, but then saying we can do better than £21m for him?

Personally I subscribe to the "possibly the best player we've got" faction.... and hope we keep him.

agreed.

When Propper plays well, he looks like the most naturally gifted player in the team. This coming season could be the season where we get to see Propper looking a lot more positive and commanding with his play. He's attack minded who's been forced to play defensively for 2 years. Madness to get rid when we might finally see our moneys worth.
Selling him for £20m would only give us back £11/12m profit for a player wanted by the Champions League finalists. That would be very crap business in my eyes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Under Hughton he was shackled, give him freedom and he will bloom, we haven't seen anything like the best of him yet. I think he is a Potter like player and under him he could be the lynch pin of the side. He is a player who l would want to keep, almost at any price.

What's the shelf life for this 'shackled by CH' bollocks currently being touted for Propper and a whole host of other under-performers. How long do we give them to 'express themselves' before coming to the conclusion that that they're really really not very good at this level? Can't leave it much beyond the end of the year I'd suggest. January transfer window could be busy.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What's the shelf life for this 'shackled by CH' bollocks currently being touted for Propper and a whole host of other under-performers. How long do we give them to 'express themselves' before coming to the conclusion that that they're really really not very good at this level? Can't leave it much beyond the end of the year I'd suggest. January transfer window could be busy.

I think you'll very quickly see the difference in multiple players if they're played closer to their strengths than they have been previously. I think we'll also very quickly see certain other players drop out of the first team picture entirely because they've been kept around out of loyalty, rather than due to their quality.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Maybe it doesn't have a shelf life because it is true. It happens elsewhere.

I could quote Solksjaer with Pogba after Mourinho, but then he's gone off a bit again now,

But closer to our level, when Hughes was replaced by Hasenhuettl at Saints, there were several players who blossomed fairly quickly, notably Redmond. I can well imagine that Potter will have the same effect with us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Maybe it doesn't have a shelf life because it is true. It happens elsewhere.

I could quote Solksjaer with Pogba after Mourinho, but then he's gone off a bit again now,

But closer to our level, when Hughes was replaced by Hasenhuettl at Saints, there were several players who blossomed fairly quickly, notably Redmond. I can well imagine that Potter will have the same effect with us.

I completely agree - and I think with the benefit of pre-season with the squad (minus Izquierdo and Bissouma, which is a real shame because they're both starters), we'll see the best of our team early doors.

My only concern is that I've fallen for the new manager chatter before, Oscar Garcia told us he was obsessed with attacking football but never showed any signs of that being true with the Albion team he led. He massively overachieved, considering what he had, in his defence - but it wasn't attacking football!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I completely agree - and I think with the benefit of pre-season with the squad (minus Izquierdo and Bissouma, which is a real shame because they're both starters), we'll see the best of our team early doors.

My only concern is that I've fallen for the new manager chatter before, Oscar Garcia told us he was obsessed with attacking football but never showed any signs of that being true with the Albion team he led. He massively overachieved, considering what he had, in his defence - but it wasn't attacking football!

To be fair to OG, he did manage to reach the halfway line in half the numbers of passes it took GP. On average 10 passes instead of 20. Which I suppose is progress of a sort.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So Mystic THPP ( or maybe Premier League ready talent spotter THPP) has decided that the players who WERE shackled last season are actually shit but we’ll leave the club to come to the same conclusion as THPP (who has already reached this conclusion of course) by January? Have I got this right? :wink:

I know this is a bit mean but...One In Ten Glenn :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ha ! Poor old Potter - looks like already its expected that within weeks he will snap his fingers and release the "shackles" on our underperforming players, turn the existing players into attacking dynamos, be given the ££ to strengthen the first team with a bunch of English prospects, all of whom have "premier league experience", and also give most of our star u23s a chance.
Good luck with that little lot.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So how much money are Ajax going to rake in this summer in terms of transfer fees, £100m? £150m? How much Champions League money did they get for making the semis?

If Ajax do bid (50% chance) and If Davy does want to go (90% chance), Tony Bloom has a decision to make. He could wave through a move for an unsettled player for about what we paid for him (3% chance) or he could decide to rinse the hell out of a cash laden Ajax (47% chance) or he could do what he typically does and just point blank refuse to sell someone the manager would prefer to keep (50% chance)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So Mystic THPP ( or maybe Premier League ready talent spotter THPP) has decided that the players who WERE shackled last season are actually shit but we’ll leave the club to come to the same conclusion as THPP (who has already reached this conclusion of course) by January? Have I got this right? :wink:

I know this is a bit mean but...One In Ten Glenn :lolol:

All these players who were supposedly shackled? Lovely to be rewriting history so soon after CH sacking. Like the manager had more than a modicum of influence of how that group of players played as soon as they set foot on the pitch. Sincerely looking forward to DS not looking to always playing the ball sideways if his first choice backward pass is not available. But won't be holding my breath.

Shackled my arse :lolol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think OG is a brilliant example of a manager adapting his style to suit his playing staff. He very quickly realised that his squad wasn't capable of playing how he wanted so he had to revert back to what they were good at - basically Gus's tactics.

The opposite of that is Sammi Hyypia who tried to shoehorn players into a formation they didn't understand and weren't suited to, with disastrous results.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ha ! Poor old Potter - looks like already its expected that within weeks he will snap his fingers and release the "shackles" on our underperforming players, turn the existing players into attacking dynamos, be given the ££ to strengthen the first team with a bunch of English prospects, all of whom have "premier league experience", and also give most of our star u23s a chance.
Good luck with that little lot.

Some unusual hyperbole from you there Chailey. I suggest most of us who have a bit of enthusiasm for this move to changing the playing style expect it to be a tough job. Hey we might even actually enjoy games now and again, even when we lose and I don’t believe that a single fan expects it to work from the off either.

But you carry on wandering around in your sackcloth and ashes, occasionally flagellating yourself at the injustice of it all :wink:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All these players who were supposedly shackled? Lovely to be rewriting history so soon after CH sacking. Like the manager had more than a modicum of influence of how that group of players played as soon as they set foot on the pitch. Sincerely looking forward to DS not looking to always playing the ball sideways if his first choice backward pass is not available. But won't be holding my breath.

Shackled my arse :lolol:

Well I’m buggered, bring CH back if that’s the case. There was me thinking that the players played like he trained them to. I had no idea they ignored his instructions and went on the pitch and decided to defend in depth without showing any desire to attack in case they lost the ball and conceded on the counter.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Some unusual hyperbole from you there Chailey. I suggest most of us who have a bit of enthusiasm for this move to changing the playing style expect it to be a tough job. Hey we might even actually enjoy games now and again, even when we lose and I don’t believe that a single fan expects it to work from the off either.

But you carry on wandering around in your sackcloth and ashes, occasionally flagellating yourself at the injustice of it all :wink:

Just trying to bring a degree of perspective to pre-season excitement Icy. But those expectations on Potter are rising.
releasing shackles, entertaining football, playing u23s, signing new players, progressive tactics, taking us to the "next level", getting Ali J scoring and no doubt keeping us in the Prem League with a cup run to boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here