Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR in the semi-final

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think that will make any difference to efficiency, the ref will still go pitch side to check the screen. It will increase tension though!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great! Three minute discussions between the ref and the VAR ref, both staring at repeat after repeat on the screen, trying to decide whether X's eyelashes were marginally in front of the defender.

CLEAR AND OBVIOUS ERRORS OR OMISSIONS ONLY, PLEASE. Don't suppose anybody will listen though - a chance to willy-wave over whether that was half a inch offside will be irresistable to too many officials. And Dermot Gallagher will turn up on ref-watch on Monday and say the ref did nothing wrong (possibly because the ref didn't see it)......................

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
VAR? :facepalm:

My last train home leaves London Liverpool Street at twenty past midnight. :rant:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I don’t want endless replays to see if a player is off-side by an eye-brow that you get in cricket. They also started with the mantra “clear and obvious mistake” which it clearly isn’t.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Great, so we can all play amateur ref when many fans/players don't actually know the current laws of the game, or the advice to the ref on implementing them via VAR. That will certainly help with people (fans and players) trusting the ref has made the correct call because he was able to see replays (one of the arguments given for bringing it in)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Knowing that 90,000 are watching the same footage as him should influence the ref to be more diligent to get the correct decision.

Yes, I'm sure thats a relevant factor. Being as they won't have bothered being overly diligent up until now about reaching the correct decision, when conscious about the multi-millions watching worldwide on TV.

DavePage

1 Manchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion
5.30pm, Saturday 6 April 2019
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistant Referees: Gary Beswick & Adam Nunn
Fourth Official: Roger East
Reserve Assistant: Neil Davies
VAR: Paul Tierney
AVAR: Andrew Halliday

So we get a ref from Manchester, lets hope he's a red

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
1 Manchester City v Brighton & Hove Albion
5.30pm, Saturday 6 April 2019
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistant Referees: Gary Beswick & Adam Nunn
Fourth Official: Roger East
Reserve Assistant: Neil Davies
VAR: Paul Tierney
AVAR: Andrew Halliday

So we get a ref from Manchester, lets hope he's a red

Personal friend of Pep's I expect.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I don’t want endless replays to see if a player is off-side by an eye-brow that you get in cricket. They also started with the mantra “clear and obvious mistake” which it clearly isn’t.

Offside decisions are cleared up incredibly quickly by VAR, it’s things like handball, penalties and red cards that can take a while.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here