Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Do you suffer from jetlag or time differences?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Last night I went to bed at 10pm BST but was unable to drop off to sleep for an hour and a half due to it feeling like being 9pm in my body , despite being tired.

Do you suffer badly from jetlag or time changes? The furthest I've been is Turkey with +3 hours difference. That was tough.

Have you got any good/amusing tales of phoning friends in the night from Australia for example?

And calling Doctor No. :)

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Mid atlantic right now after a Sussex visit (very poorly timed for the semi final!) - no issue going west, Sussex to LA, just stay up until bedtime and all good. Have started to feel it a bit more going LA to Sussex in recent years as never got jetlag when a bit younger, just try and get to bed early for a few days...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It takes me a week getting over the flight back from Vegas but that may be more to do with Vegas than jet lag!:)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wherever I’m flying to, if there’s a time difference I set my watch to the time where I am heading. I’ve found this pretty much stops me getting jet lag whether I’m flying west to the USA or east to Cyprus and Australia.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Worst jetlag I ever suffered from was flying back from Hawaii, I rarely sleep well or at all on planes.
We took off from Hawaii at about 7pm local time so that was a flight through the night to LA.
We then took off from LA at about midday local time to Heathrow.
So 2 nights of lost sleep and my body clock all over the place.
Felt like shit for 2 weeks afterwards.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Yes I do. Travelling East seems to effect me worst.

My favourite example being when I went to Japan about six months after Fukushima/the Tsunami.

Was meant to be travelling with a female friend to see two of our friends who lived out there but she bottled it due to the paranoia inducing western media. Anyway I digress.

To set the scene, I’m six foot four and consequently have never been able to sleep on planes [or afford to travel in business to be able to sleep].

I travelled via Amsterdam which still makes the flight to Narita 13 hours. I board the plane having picked myself a window seat [first error] and fight my way back to row 34 [second error] to find two Japanese ladies in the adjacent seats.

They just about managed to find a way to move enough to let me take my seat with much harrumphing and tutting [its a universal old person trait] so I slip into my window seat and get comfortable.

Before the plane doors shut they promptly fall asleep and don’t move a muscle for 13 straight hours... I daren’t take so much as a sip of my water for fear of needing to piss.

I manage to unfold myself out of my seat and disembark the plane only to find an incredibly subservient Japanese fellow at the top of the ramp holding a board with my name on it. Knowing that the friend I’m visiting is teaching English and not a hedge fund manager I assume it isn’t to greet me with the news of a limo to my hotel complete with school girl masseuse....

Sure enough he apologies sixteen times before informing me that sadly whilst I made the connection at Schipol he doesn’t think my luggage has.

Now back to my scene setting. I’m six foot four and sixteen stone. There isn’t a shop in Tokyo that can deal with such gargantuan proportions outside of the bespoke sumo outfitters fat ******* and sons [which I don’t know about nor have the money to make use of].

A three hour wait at the airport and additional six million apologies later confirms my luggage didn’t make it.

Wearily I set off into the sprawl of Tokyo on my own, without luggage and try to find the hotel my friend has booked for me. Three subway journeys and an hour and a half later I pop up in Shinjuku station - officially the world’s busiest with 7 million passengers a DAY. By now I’ve been up for approximately 26 hours without so much as a cat nap and my patience is wearing slightly thin.

There are literally hundreds of exits. And very little by way of English signage and it’s very very busy. After threatening to have a little cry I find a corner and give myself a little pep talk and pick the closest exit and emerge into the chaos...

Across the street I spot a large department store which luckily appears in the directions to the hotel. I cross the street and dive into the nearest side road following the directions. I walk for ten minutes somewhat on autopilot due to the humidity, tiredness and probable dehydration. It’s July, 35 degrees in the shade and 100% humidity. I probably look like I belong in a Ray Mears documentary just before he says something like “if it hadn’t been for the passing spotter plane he’d have probably died” by this point. The irony being of course that there’s a vending machine selling all manner of bounteous beverages [amongst other things] but of course I only have on my person five crisp 10,000¥ notes which they don’t accept... they wink at me teasingly just like the school girl in a shop window to my left. Was it the jet lag, the heat, my thirst or all of the above that means I’m now hallucinating? No. No it’s not.

Having been on autopilot I’ve failed to notice that for a laugh the hotel my friend booked me into was indeed a typical business man’s hotel but smack bang in the middle of the red light district....

By now almost delirious I turn a corner and finally emerge next to my hotel. I want nothing more than to check in, whack the air conditioning up to full, strip naked and sleep until my suitcase turns up.

It’s just after midday, I confidently walk up to the desk and manage to hold enough decorum to explain my predicament only to be told i can’t check in until 4pm. With no exceptions.

Before I have an aneurysm I decide to remove myself from the situation and leave the hotel in search of some fresh clothes. I go back to the main road and find a shop I recognise - uni qlo - except of course their sizes are not quite the same as their western arm...

Resigned to defeat I see the Imperial Gardens are near by and think why not go for a calming stroll in one of the places I wanted to see anyway. It’s beautiful, tranquil and a welcome distraction. I sit beneath a shady tree and promptly fall asleep..... I wake six hours later at dusk only to find I fell asleep on a red ants nest and am covered in bites. This being Japan however no one has robbed me and despite looking more dishevelled than ever I gather my belongings and traipse back to the hotel.

I check in, get to my room. Take off and ring out my clothes switch on the air conditioning fall onto the bed and am asleep before my head hits the pillow and sleep for sixteen hours straight.

So yes when people ask me do I get jet lag? I say Yes. Yes I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Australia and back in 9 days due to a Family Wedding around 15 years ago - Mrs Jakarta being a Head Teacher at the Time it was fitted around a a Half Term and yes I was utterly out of it for the rest of the week when I got back to work.

All subsequent trips to Oz and NZ have involved a couple of days break in Hong Kong or Singapore on the way back...

Across the Pond trips I'm not so fussed about except going to Argentina which was also a bit of a bugger upon return.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yes I generally feel terrible the day after a long haul flight. Mainly because I've drunk my own weight in Bloody Maries during the journey.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yes I do. Travelling East seems to effect me worst.

My favourite example being when I went to Japan about six months after Fukushima/the Tsunami.

Was meant to be travelling with a female friend to see two of our friends who lived out there but she bottled it due to the paranoia inducing western media. Anyway I digress.

To set the scene, I’m six foot four and consequently have never been able to sleep on planes [or afford to travel in business to be able to sleep].

I travelled via Amsterdam which still makes the flight to Narita 13 hours. I board the plane having picked myself a window seat [first error] and fight my way back to row 34 [second error] to find two Japanese ladies in the adjacent seats.

They just about managed to find a way to move enough to let me take my seat with much harrumphing and tutting [its a universal old person trait] so I slip into my window seat and get comfortable.

Before the plane doors shut they promptly fall asleep and don’t move a muscle for 13 straight hours... I daren’t take so much as a sip of my water for fear of needing to piss.

I manage to unfold myself out of my seat and disembark the plane only to find an incredibly subservient Japanese fellow at the top of the ramp holding a board with my name on it. Knowing that the friend I’m visiting is teaching English and not a hedge fund manager I assume it isn’t to greet me with the news of a limo to my hotel complete with school girl masseuse....

Sure enough he apologies sixteen times before informing me that sadly whilst I made the connection at Schipol he doesn’t think my luggage has.

Now back to my scene setting. I’m six foot four and sixteen stone. There isn’t a shop in Tokyo that can deal with such gargantuan proportions outside of the bespoke sumo outfitters fat ******* and sons [which I don’t know about nor have the money to make use of].

A three hour wait at the airport and additional six million apologies later confirms my luggage didn’t make it.

Wearily I set off into the sprawl of Tokyo on my own, without luggage and try to find the hotel my friend has booked for me. Three subway journeys and an hour and a half later I pop up in Shinjuku station - officially the world’s busiest with 7 million passengers a DAY. By now I’ve been up for approximately 26 hours without so much as a cat nap and my patience is wearing slightly thin.

There are literally hundreds of exits. And very little by way of English signage and it’s very very busy. After threatening to have a little cry I find a corner and give myself a little pep talk and pick the closest exit and emerge into the chaos...

Across the street I spot a large department store which luckily appears in the directions to the hotel. I cross the street and dive into the nearest side road following the directions. I walk for ten minutes somewhat on autopilot due to the humidity, tiredness and probable dehydration. It’s July, 35 degrees in the shade and 100% humidity. I probably look like I belong in a Ray Mears documentary just before he says something like “if it hadn’t been for the passing spotter plane he’d have probably died” by this point. The irony being of course that there’s a vending machine selling all manner of bounteous beverages [amongst other things] but of course I only have on my person five crisp 10,000¥ notes which they don’t accept... they wink at me teasingly just like the school girl in a shop window to my left. Was it the jet lag, the heat, my thirst or all of the above that means I’m now hallucinating? No. No it’s not.

Having been on autopilot I’ve failed to notice that for a laugh the hotel my friend booked me into was indeed a typical business man’s hotel but smack bang in the middle of the red light district....

By now almost delirious I turn a corner and finally emerge next to my hotel. I want nothing more than to check in, whack the air conditioning up to full, strip naked and sleep until my suitcase turns up.

It’s just after midday, I confidently walk up to the desk and manage to hold enough decorum to explain my predicament only to be told i can’t check in until 4pm. With no exceptions.

Before I have an aneurysm I decide to remove myself from the situation and leave the hotel in search of some fresh clothes. I go back to the main road and find a shop I recognise - uni qlo - except of course their sizes are not quite the same as their western arm...

Resigned to defeat I see the Imperial Gardens are near by and think why not go for a calming stroll in one of the places I wanted to see anyway. It’s beautiful, tranquil and a welcome distraction. I sit beneath a shady tree and promptly fall asleep..... I wake six hours later at dusk only to find I fell asleep on a red ants nest and am covered in bites. This being Japan however no one has robbed me and despite looking more dishevelled than ever I gather my belongings and traipse back to the hotel.

I check in, get to my room. Take off and ring out my clothes switch on the air conditioning fall onto the bed and am asleep before my head hits the pillow and sleep for sixteen hours straight.

So yes when people ask me do I get jet lag? I say Yes. Yes I do.

Sorry I posted such a wimpish reply after yours - it utterly takes the biscuit!

I do want to go to Japan - hope you don't mind me asking if the rest of your visit was better than the trip there?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Hey its all relative right?

I do want to go to Japan - hope you don't mind me asking if the rest of your visit was better than the trip there?

It was the most incredible 3 weeks away I’ve had to date. Such an unbelievable country.

My friends lived in Kyoto/Fukui[one well known, the other the Japanese equivalent of say Barrow-in-Furness but still incredible none the less (I mean it has a bar that seats 8 dedicated entirely to Star Wars with an owner that’s run it for 50 years ffs) respectively and both took time out of their jobs to come travelling with me.

Feel free to PM me if you’re planning specifics and want to know what I did in detail etc. It made such an impression on me I love telling people about it!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have a 4 year old girl.

Clock changes are a ****.

And a bigger **** when they go back as she gets up at 6am. Every day. Without fail.

Last weekend we let her stay up until 9.45pm hoping she'd go through until at least 8ish.

She woke up and came bounding into us at 6.15am. Just 15 minutes later than normal.

And because she was tired as she hadn't slept as long she was a moody, irritable little cow bag all day.

So yes, I do suffer.

Last two weeks I've had 6am starts at work, got 7am starts this week so this week I'm still getting up at 5 (old time)

Can we just leave the clocks now so we always have a nice summers evening forever more......

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I worked shift rotation with a week of nights every fourth week for approx 15 years. This is the best training ever for long haul flights and avoiding jet lag. Combined with the fact that given a chance I can fall asleep literally anywhere at any time for at least a few hours, I have no problem at all re-setting my body clock.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always take a Melatonin tablet which you can buy over the counter in the States.

That really helps get a good kip on the plane so less jet lag when you arrive

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hey its all relative right?

It was the most incredible 3 weeks away I’ve had to date. Such an unbelievable country.

My friends lived in Kyoto/Fukui[one well known, the other the Japanese equivalent of say Barrow-in-Furness but still incredible none the less (I mean it has a bar that seats 8 dedicated entirely to Star Wars with an owner that’s run it for 50 years ffs) respectively and both took time out of their jobs to come travelling with me.

Feel free to PM me if you’re planning specifics and want to know what I did in detail etc. It made such an impression on me I love telling people about it!

Japan is a definite in the next couple of years, doing Russia (Moscow & St Petersburg) shortly, probably going back to our favourite country (Italy) this Autumn.

Proper travel advice is NSC at its best...

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Always take a Melatonin tablet which you can buy over the counter in the States.

That really helps get a good kip on the plane so less jet lag when you arrive

A quick tot of Night Nurse has a similar effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here