Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We got promoted with Trollope as his assistant.

Of course we did and the poster calling for a younger coach who players can relate to who is cutting their teeth in the business - They are overlooking Paul Nevin

On top of that there are two younger coaches and ex players learning their trade within the club in Steve Sidwell and Liam Ressenior. Either of them could go on to succeed within the club in years to come, but to say that their isn't any younger coaches around within the club at varying levels is naive.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Since Calderwood left, something seems to have changed and we are struggling to move forward. That points the finger at Trollope ( who no one ever mentions ) Has he really got the pedigree to be a solid back-up for CH. I would like to see a young, ambitious, recently retired, top pro come in and cut his teeth alongside CH. Someone all the players can relate to.

Calderwood left after only 16 games into the promotion season. Trollope can take a fair share of credit for his part in getting us promoted 27 games later.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's a brave person that will answer this question in the negative in the week when Hughton could be taking us to our first FA Cup Final in 36 years.

Hmm, I know it isn't as bad as the situation in 1983, but remember what happened to the manager who took us to our first cup final!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes. If I was Bloom I'd give him another year, whether or not we get relegated. If we get relegated he has to get us straight back up, or at the very least be very, very close to doing it and just miss out, meaning we'll be massive favourites the following season. I'd then hope he'd be able to learn from the lessons he learnt when we got relegated in our first year back in the Premier League. If we do stay up then I'd give him another year but say that we have to see clear progress this time, and that negatively holding out trying not to concede at home to teams around us in the table would not be deemed as clear progress.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Any of those in the Premier League?

I was going to post something similar. If we were to sack CH in November, with us bottom, he would be on the radar of the likes of Reading. Maybe. Nobody is suggesting Tony sacks him now, obviously, but in such an eventuality I still can't see anyone 'snapping' any hands off. My guess is that if suddenly dismissed now he may decide enough is enough and retire, partly because sacking him now would be quite unfair and inappropriate. Which is why it won't happen.

Anyway, I hope and trust that come November we are one of the teams eyeing a possible Europa league place, yet still under the radar. :rolleyes:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No. Definitely not.

We need a proven winner from one of the top European clubs who will deliver exciting football and trophies.

No point in being in the PL unless we compete properly.

I hear they are all eagerly sticking their hands up :lolol::bigwave:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hmm, I know it isn't as bad as the situation in 1983, but remember what happened to the manager who took us to our first cup final!

He hadn't taken Albion up after a complete turnaround though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bizarrely I think I'd almost be more sure that CH was the right person at the helm if we DID go down. Very canny operator in the Champ. I can only see him going anytime soon if Bloom has very big ambitions to break the top 10, and plans to back it BIG time with money and a big name manager.

Otherwise as long as we continue to be sensible, steady Brighton, Chris is the right man.

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Since Calderwood left, something seems to have changed and we are struggling to move forward. That points the finger at Trollope ( who no one ever mentions ) Has he really got the pedigree to be a solid back-up for CH. I would like to see a young, ambitious, recently retired, top pro come in and cut his teeth alongside CH. Someone all the players can relate to.

Ooh it was about time we found a new scapegoat. Trollope fits the bill perfectly. If someone hasn't found a "Trollope Out" banner for Saturday then NSC is a waste of time. If we get rid of this LOSER all our problems (which are so bad we've won 3 out of the last 4 games and are in the cup semi final for the first time in 36 years) will be over.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Bizarrely I think I'd almost be more sure that CH was the right person at the helm if we DID go down. Very canny operator in the Champ. I can only see him going if Bloom was very big ambitions to break the top 10, and plans to back it BIG time with money and a big name manager.

Otherwise as long as we continue to be sensible, steady Brighton, Chris is the right man.

I agree. If we sacked him on relegation, I guarantee that an ambitious Championship club would appoint him within weeks. His record at Championship level is outstanding.

Thankfully we've got sensible people making these decisions, and they'd probably see it the same way.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was going to post something similar. If we were to sack CH in November, with us bottom, he would be on the radar of the likes of Reading. Maybe. Nobody is suggesting Tony sacks him now, obviously, but in such an eventuality I still can't see anyone 'snapping' any hands off.
So what?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He hadn't taken Albion up after a complete turnaround though.

Yes, I know, Melia was as mad as a brush and a far cry from C.H.but no-one is indispensible and football as a business has to look forward not backwards.
I think Harry Wilson's Tackle has it spot on and if we are still shitty by next November, then will come the day of reckoning.
I think we will stay up this season, just; but only thanks to three worse teams in the Prem.If we go down, I still think T.B. will stick with Hughton and see above, re November!
Hopefully Mr.Ashworth will earn his crust and do some brilliant recruiting as well as whatever else is in his brief.
What I can't see though, is Hughton suddenly turning into an exciting go for it type of manager. It is not in his nature, and much more turgid football ,without significantly better results in the near future, could well see his departure.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Yes, I know, Melia was as mad as a brush and a far cry from C.H.but no-one is indispensible and football as a business has to look forward not backwards.
I think Harry Wilson's Tackle has it spot on and if we are still shitty by next November, then will come the day of reckoning.
I think we will stay up this season, just; but only thanks to three worse teams in the Prem.If we go down, I still think T.B. will stick with Hughton and see above, re November!
Hopefully Mr.Ashworth will earn his crust and do some brilliant recruiting as well as whatever else is in his brief.
What I can't see though, is Hughton suddenly turning into an exciting go for it type of manager. It is not in his nature and much more turgid football without significantly better results in the near future could well see his departure.

Why wait until then? and be a very unattractive proposition for any potential incoming manager.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Careful what you wish for. We'll do well to survive this season, and well to survive next. Incredible to think anyone sane would think otherwise.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do think a shake up of the coaching staff might help. Ferguson changed his staff periodically to great effect and it might freshen things up. Sack CH though, not for me.
Evolution of both the playing and backroom staff has to be core of improvement so it would make sense to refresh that area. I would like to see a new RB, a young up and comer with scope to improve, another striker and an option in the no.10 role. I think we have really missed the Gross of last season and lack invention in the final third as a result.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
100% he is. Excellent manager.
We need to recruit well though, as I think next season will be tougher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here