Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly. The squad is short of a box-to-box midfield player, a strong central striker and a natural leader. Too many pleasant chaps in midfield who aren’t great tacklers, with the result that when they try to get a bit physical they risk red cards. Murray is an all-time Albion great but his best days are just about coming to an end. If by some miracle (which we may have witnessed yesterday) we do stay up, we need the above players with Premier League experience, not someone who takes half a season to adjust to the difference between Holland and England.

Who would be your targets ?
Mitrovic ?
Nasty midfielder ? (I quite fancy Grealish)
Will Ashworth deliver any ex Eng u20/21s etc ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've experienced a fair number of ups and downs in supporting the Albion since my first match in 1963 and I no longer get as het up as I used to in my younger day, win or lose.
It is an age thing with me!:thumbsup:

That's about the same time as me, although two years earlier.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The possible problem that is building momentum here, is for how long will the ground be filled with fans feeling that they are getting value for money, entertainment-wise, when they are paying over £600 for a season-ticket to be numbed into bored silence (as has been the case on many occasions this season), by the unambitious, safety-first, defend in numbers fare we are being served up with. Is this the uncomfortable reality for the Premier League, for us, tasked with mere survival, grinding out just enough points to not be the 3rd worst team, or can, and will, we strive for more. The pure novelty of being in this division won't last indefinitely, at which point you go back to seeking something more . It seems undoubtedly the case that for 'the Club' the be-all and end-all is the money, but the by-product is the increased fear factor which so inhibits us now. The 1983 season and the sacking of Mike Bailey in our fourth season in the First Division always comes up, but the Goldstone still held c.28,000 then and yet by the time he left only c.10,000 felt it worth attending, so , no, fans won't endlessly fork out top-dollar if they perceive they are not getting entertainment, be it the top division or League Two.

Many of us pay nothing like £600 a year. There are concessions.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not understand why so many are suggesting Mitrovic to replace Murray then suggesting we change our style of play the two do not equate which each other. Many want Andone and or Locadia to start and both are different to Murray.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The possible problem that is building momentum here, is for how long will the ground be filled with fans feeling that they are getting value for money, entertainment-wise, when they are paying over £600 for a season-ticket to be numbed into bored silence (as has been the case on many occasions this season), by the unambitious, safety-first, defend in numbers fare we are being served up with. Is this the uncomfortable reality for the Premier League, for us, tasked with mere survival, grinding out just enough points to not be the 3rd worst team, or can, and will, we strive for more. The pure novelty of being in this division won't last indefinitely, at which point you go back to seeking something more . It seems undoubtedly the case that for 'the Club' the be-all and end-all is the money, but the by-product is the increased fear factor which so inhibits us now. The 1983 season and the sacking of Mike Bailey in our fourth season in the First Division always comes up, but the Goldstone still held c.28,000 then and yet by the time he left only c.10,000 felt it worth attending, so , no, fans won't endlessly fork out top-dollar if they perceive they are not getting entertainment, be it the top division or League Two.

I’m as bored by the losing football as much as anyone else, but I think the club will maintain its supporter base with ease. Gates generally in foootball are far higher now than 35 years ago, 10,000’s appear to love the whole matchday thing of a trip to the Amex and meeting up with mates, we have the bulk of a £1.6m catchment area (Sussex) to ourselves, and people seem so optimistic before each home match.

Some supporters may give up the ghost, but others will take their place, in my opinion.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
how long will the ground be filled with fans feeling that they are getting value for money, entertainment-wise, when they are paying over £600 for a season-ticket to be numbed into bored silence (as has been the case on many occasions this season), by the unambitious, safety-first, defend in numbers fare .

The club said in the programme on Saturday they had a 94% ST renewal rate for next season - effectively same as last 2 seasons. (95 and 95) Ie: a fairly normal turnover rate. Club say it’s change of circumstances, people moving away - that type of thing. Didn’t mention how many cited being “numbed into bored silence” .
So i guess if the question is how long will they put up with this ? Then I’d say it’s for quite a bit longer.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If we had Gross nice and close to Murray all season long we would be pushing for mid table mediocrity. We need another AM option to improve the squad, as we have struggled to score when on top in games without our most creative player

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we had Gross nice and close to Murray all season long we would be pushing for mid table mediocrity. We need another AM option to improve the squad, as we have struggled to score when on top in games without our most creative player

That is the truth as we have missed Gross more than most could imagine, This raises the question about the players we signed in January and loaned back.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think the 'fan experience' in terms of stadia and facilities means that the attendance is far less dependent upon results than it used to be, and fans are more realistic about what is and isn't possible. Back then you had Liverpool and pretty much everyone else was beatable on your day - nowadays the Top 6 are so far out of sight. Similarly, Leicester, Everton and West Ham are spending big and look like locking up 3 of the remaining top 10 spots.

For the other 11 sides the Prem is all about surviving and - preferably - surviving with style. And - it has to be said - the relegation dogfight is enthralling, I'm not worn down by it at all and whilst I like to aspire to the mid-table 'ennui' the reality is that once this season is done the likes of Watford, Bournemouth, Palace will be worrying about relegation just as much as ever, with 3 new teams to slot into the lower division tussle. That said, Wolves have certainly broken the mould by jumping from Championship straight into the Top Ten and raised expectations for clubs like us.

For me I don't mind a bit of defence - I love watching Duffy and Dunk together - but I'd love part of our identity to relate to our attack. Last season it was Murray and Gross, this season it is only Murray and the worry is neither of them will be major contributors next season, so what next?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club said in the programme on Saturday they had a 94% ST renewal rate for next season - effectively same as last 2 seasons. (95 and 95) Ie: a fairly normal turnover rate. Club say it’s change of circumstances, people moving away - that type of thing. Didn’t mention how many cited being “numbed into bored silence” .
So i guess if the question is how long will they put up with this ? Then I’d say it’s for quite a bit longer.

Plus almost 8,000 on the ST waiting list.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Surely the number of season ticket holders is secondary to the TV money so having a full ground means nothing. If we were seriously looking like being relegated then the board will look elsewhere. I know people think that we are in a relegation fight but without being arrogant we have not been in danger this season as per Huddersfield, Burnley, Fulham and Cardiff. Had we not had that lucky set of 3 wins when we were being hammered we probably would have had a new manager.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Different time. 17th for 10 years running and the stadium will still be full.

It's a results game.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Who would be your targets ?
Mitrovic ?
Nasty midfielder ? (I quite fancy Grealish)
Will Ashworth deliver any ex Eng u20/21s etc ?

Brian Horton!

I like Tom Davies at Everton and Cheikh Kouyate up the road who doesn’t seem to be part of Roy’s plans. He was fantastic at times for West Ham.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chris Hughton, already in the Albion hall of legends, for what he has done for the club.
Why get rid of him, can't see anyone else coming in at short notice.
CH is no Guardiola, working with talent dropping out of every corner.
Let's back him to keep us up FFS,

TB will.

The sack CH merchants have no influence and it’s a small minority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here