Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I have noticed that teams like Everton, Watford, Leicester, West Ham have players on loan. I don’t think we have any? Could be wrong.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I have noticed that teams like Everton, Watford, Leicester, West Ham have players on loan. I don’t think we have any? Could be wrong.

Apart from Murray, who was the last person we acquired who had Premier League experience?

Are they all outside of our wage structure?

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Apart from Murray, who was the last person we acquired who had Premier League experience?

Are they all outside of our wage structure?

Maybe not so much nowadays, it is only our second season in the premier league and we move forward cautiously.
People forget that Wolves had that super agent onboard and had a lot of class players on loan to absolutely storm the Championship. Gaining promotion allowed them to buy the players on loan and carry on as a team that had played together unlike Fulham.
Bet he made a few bob out of that. It will be interesting to see how they proceed but I believe they have the richest owner in the Premier League. Stand to be corrected obviously.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Maybe not so much nowadays, it is only our second season in the premier league and we move forward cautiously.
People forget that Wolves had that super agent onboard and had a lot of class players on loan to absolutely storm the Championship. Gaining promotion allowed them to buy the players on loan and carry on as a team that had played together unlike Fulham.
Bet he made a few bob out of that. It will be interesting to see how they proceed but I believe they have the richest owner in the Premier League. Stand to be corrected obviously.

All true. The media/NSC love affair with Wolves conveniently disregards their spend/‘arrangements’ to bring in a stack of high quality players way above their income.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Perhaps I should have made myself clearer.
'I think we will stay up this season, just; because thankfully, there may be 3 teams who have been even shittier than us.:clap:

The reason those 3 teams are "shittier than us" will then have something to do with either a) losing to us or b) not winning as much as us. Its not some wild stroke of luck. Same as last season.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Surviving in the Premier League is hard on the nerves. It's difficult dealing with the psychological shift of moving from being one of the best sides in the Championship to become perennial strugglers in the top division. It can cause people to lose sight of their reality and make decisions based on confirmation bias. When fans do it, it's a forgivable sign of frustration. When owners and CEOs do it... Charlton get rid of Curbishley, Wolves sack Mick McCarthy, West Brom and Stoke both chuck out Pulis. 'We're the big boys now' they say. 'We want better: a manager befitting our elevated status.'

All of your post is sensible, but that paragraph sums it up. (I referred earlier to Sheff Wed's delusions of grandeur). Yes we could sack CH and get in someone better, someone to take us to the mythical 'next level'. After all he's not the best manager in world football, he's not coveted by bigger clubs, and he's certainly not some distillation of Clough, Shankly, Stein and Busby. So yeah, we could find someone who'll have our limited squad playing exciting attacking football which will blow away the lesser PL teams and give the big boys a run for their money.

But that's not where the smart money is. The smart money says if we get rid of a competent but not 100% top-drawer manager we'll replace him with someone not nearly so good, and before you know it we'll be just another Championship team who think they should be higher than they are. And of course we'll be more impatient with the new incumbent as this time it won't be all shiny and new.

As this thread has demonstrated some football fans can't always see the bigger picture.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
he's certainly not some distillation of Clough, Shankly, Stein and Busby./QUOTE]

I love the idea of managers of that era being distilled, especially when manager of the month was sponsored by Bell’s and their prize was this:

2f18c5cd90cae79fe1ecc22c94961d15.jpg

Last edited:

the

Jul 25, 2018
London
I feel like most of the fans have too emotional of an attachment to CH because he got the team to the Premier League. As new Brighton fan I'm not expecting Brighton to be competing for a Champions league spot, but I really don't think CH's tactics and player selection are sustainable long term. It might be enough to survive relegation this year.

CH has done a great job getting the team where it is right now, but long term I don't see the team making it anywhere when there's a 7 mile gap between the midfield and the Striker and no Pressing what-so-ever.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If we stay up or go down Chris has probably been our best ever manager. I hope he wants to stay for the long haul and build and build us into a long term Premier League team.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yes

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Since Calderwood left, something seems to have changed and we are struggling to move forward. That points the finger at Trollope ( who no one ever mentions ) Has he really got the pedigree to be a solid back-up for CH. I would like to see a young, ambitious, recently retired, top pro come in and cut his teeth alongside CH. Someone all the players can relate to.

You mean like Inigo Calderon? Yeah...I might just be able to live with that.

I am getting bored with Hughton's negativity and his defensive mindset. It isn't fun to watch. I understood us playing that way last season and I had hoped that this season we would improve and become more adventurous. We haven't. In fact, IMO we have gone backwards. I want us to do well but I also want to be entertained. And at the moment, the way Hughton sends his team out to defend game after game doesn't make for an entertaining viewing spectacle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here