Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Since Calderwood left, something seems to have changed and we are struggling to move forward. That points the finger at Trollope ( who no one ever mentions ) Has he really got the pedigree to be a solid back-up for CH. I would like to see a young, ambitious, recently retired, top pro come in and cut his teeth alongside CH. Someone all the players can relate to.

:lolol: Amazing. Can't get more NSC than that. Top notch scapegoating, in an area that none of us have any knowledge of whatsoever.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There will always be a problem when fans’ expectations exceed those of the owner. Whilst a very good poker player, Bloom is not a gambler. If you know anything about his business model, it is that he operates on thin margins and invests a lot of time and effort into research, rather than throwing good money after bad. Softly softly catchy monkey.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why wait until then? and be a very unattractive proposition for any potential incoming manager.

If we were to go down, then the point you make would no doubt be discussed by the board; however, I don't believe T.B. is the hire and fire kind of fellow that some other owners/ chairmen may be and that he would give C.H. a chance to get us back up.
It would remain to be seen whether or not this would be the right decision.
P.S. I don't think our club would be a 'very unattractive proposition' for any number of managerial candidates; we have a lot going for us.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, I know, Melia was as mad as a brush and a far cry from C.H.but no-one is indispensible and football as a business has to look forward not backwards.
I think Harry Wilson's Tackle has it spot on and if we are still shitty by next November, then will come the day of reckoning.
I think we will stay up this season, just; but only thanks to three worse teams in the Prem.If we go down, I still think T.B. will stick with Hughton and see above, re November!
Hopefully Mr.Ashworth will earn his crust and do some brilliant recruiting as well as whatever else is in his brief.
What I can't see though, is Hughton suddenly turning into an exciting go for it type of manager. It is not in his nature, and much more turgid football ,without significantly better results in the near future, could well see his departure.

Next season will be harder to survive than this. I expect all three promoted teams will have their shit together.

But, certainly, Hughton should be left in charge. He's earnt it. If we were bottom then obviously questions would have to be asked.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Hughton is a one trick pony just like Mike Bailey was, they know the only way to compete against the bigger clubs is defend, defend and then defend a bit more and somehow sneak a goal to hang onto. In the end fans got fed up with Bailey and he was more successful than Hughton is/was and wanted attacking football and now Hughton is getting the same grief

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I imagine that pretty soon Bloom will be looking for our manager to develop and improve young players that have come through the academy. Whether that's Hughton or someone else remains to be seen.

Someone like Smug Eddie, but less Smug!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
To those saying no, who do you think we could/should get instead?

I'm very much still IN the Hughton camp, but I do have a list of (semi-)realistic possible replacements:

Jose Bordalas - Getafe
Rudy Garcia - Marseilles
Marco Rose - RB Saltzburg
De Zerbi - Sassuolo

and in my dreams Marcelo Gallardo from River Plate. Completely unrealistic this one though.

All of the above have proven pedigree in a top division and play flair football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If we're 10 points adrift come November then review it, but not until then.

If we're 10 points adrift come November it would be time to start thinking about Plan B, playing the next season in The Championship with CH in charge to bring us back up again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No. Definitely not.

We need a proven winner from one of the top European clubs who will deliver exciting football and trophies.

No point in being in the PL unless we compete properly.

Pep Guardiola now!!! Or to put it another way. ..... this might not be realistic.

It's not my decision, and if TB is happy with CH AND ALL THE REST OF THE TEAM, then thats ok with me.

It's not just about CH running the club.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yes.

Absolutely, unequivocally yes.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If we get rid of Hughton we can have a team of freescoring unicorns next season.

Unicorns - I was thinking more like centaurs, as I understand we may need a new striker next year, so a big centaur forward would be perfect. 2 left and 2 right footed and pretty good in the air, what’s not to like...

Oh! And Chris is the man for the job...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hughton is a one trick pony just like Mike Bailey was, they know the only way to compete against the bigger clubs is defend, defend and then defend a bit more and somehow sneak a goal to hang onto. In the end fans got fed up with Bailey and he was more successful than Hughton is/was and wanted attacking football and now Hughton is getting the same grief

Yes, I remember Mike Bailey's football. It was so painful to watch, I almost thought a visit to the dentist would be preferable!
Seem to remember that the attendances went through the floor and Mike Bamber goonered him because of this.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
One of the things I really don’t like about CH is when he goes on about how good the other team is , no matter who we are playing , once in a while I would like to know how good we are

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
I don't see how this season is worse than last season.
This time last season we had 34 points and were 6 points above the relegation zone with a better goal difference of 3 compared to 18th place. Compared to the other promoted clubs we were 1 point behind Newcastle and 3 ahead of Huddersfield. And we reached the QF of the cup. We didn't secure our PL status until May 4th
This season, we are on 33 points and are 5 points above the relegation zone with a better goal difference of 20 compared to 18th place (so effectively an extra point). We are 2 points behind Newcastle with a game in hand and 19 points ahead of Huddersfield. And we're in the SF of the cup and still with a chance of reaching the final. It's only just turned April and two wins should secure our place with 2 or 3 winnable home games this month.
So, we're doing pretty much as well, if not better, than last season and as well, if not better, than the other two teams in their 2nd PL season.
And our "downturn" in form came when Chris tried a new more attacking 4-3-3 formation.
For my money, Chris is an excellent manager who understands the limitations of his players and tailors tactics accordingly. If we maintain PL status I'd expect us to become more attacking as current players gain more experience and we (hopefully) sign better players. No-one has yet given Chris long enough in the PL to demonstrate what he's capable of with the right players but both Newcastle and Norwich ended up in a worse position after they got rid of him.
So, yes, Chris is the right man for the job whether or not we stay in the PL.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Let's have a little reality check:

16th in wage budget: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-lead-way-premier-13650048

At this point last year we had one more point, but had played one more game. We managed six points from our last seven games and finished on 40. If we equal that average over the rest of this year, we will end on 40 again. That would most likely be enough to finish higher than our wage budget would dictate.

At this point last year we had just lost in an FA Cup quarter final. This year we have just won one.

The players we have are the players we can afford the wages of. They have achieved standards higher than moneyball analysis would suggest because they are well coached bound together as a group through good man management and play in a way that suits their abilities designed to give them the best chance of success.

This is our second season in the Premier League. Staticians: https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/2019-03-10-pl-predictions.png pundits:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...l-lose-quest-avoid-premier-league-relegation/ and bookmakers https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation all expect us to survive for a third year.

If we do, for the third year running, we will be made one of the favourites to be relegated in 2019/20.

Surviving in the Premier League is hard on the nerves. It's difficult dealing with the psychological shift of moving from being one of the best sides in the Championship to become perennial strugglers in the top division. It can cause people to lose sight of their reality and make decisions based on confirmation bias. When fans do it, it's a forgivable sign of frustration. When owners and CEOs do it... Charlton get rid of Curbishley, Wolves sack Mick McCarthy, West Brom and Stoke both chuck out Pulis. 'We're the big boys now' they say. 'We want better: a manager befitting our elevated status.'

Ask yourself how many teams have made that next step up with the new, upgraded manager. I can't think of a single one that didn't also have a massive financial advantage over their rivals. Then ask yourself should Bournemouth sack Eddie Howe if they don't finish higher than last year? Should Newcastle chuck Benitez? Will Burnley bin Dyche?

Thankfully, we have a very analytical and sensible man in charge of this football club. Tony Bloom won't do anything stupid. He knows that his manager is a big part of the almost unparalleled period of success that the club is currently enjoying. Chris Hughton has found the chairman he deserves. Let's act like the fans he deserves, not the spoiled Premier League 606 callers that we spent the last couple of decades sneering at for their ungratefulness.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Pep Guardiola now!!! Or to put it another way. ..... this might not be realistic.

It's not my decision, and if TB is happy with CH AND ALL THE REST OF THE TEAM, then thats ok with me.

It's not just about CH running the club.

Yes, IF they are all happy with him, then who am I to question his tactics? But it might be a big IF -afterall, they are club employees and so we will never really know if the team is happy with concentrating on defending. They are hardly likely to go to the Argus and moan about him. I do like CH, but Saturday's apparent obsession with defending really was hard to take. He has undoubtedly been good for the Albion, no question, but for once in a while, can we not really try and attack all game, especially when we are at home against a team lower than we are. Yes, Stains were well prepared and stood their ground well, but when we are so slow coming out, it really was not that difficult for them. The Huddersfield game surely followed a similar pattern - a dire first half, and a final flurry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here