Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We have a playing budget in the PL's bottom six.

We are currently top, of 'the bottom six'. He's doing as well as he can realistically or fairly be EXPECTED to do.

You might WANT him to do better. You might BELIEVE that he COULD do better. But to EXPECT it, is unrealistic.

IMO, like.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Yes he is (imo.) A manager should be judged according to (realistic) expectation and if we stay up CH will have achieved what we again set out to do. Given that he took us up there is obviously also an argument that he would be the safest choice if we were to go down.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes

Get past the difficult second season syndrome, and we will moving into solid mid table terrority with more regular Wembley appearances than the current 36 years apart

Once you get past the first season, I don't think that chances of survival increase enough season on season to be able to predict that any club will ever be immune from relegation and be classed as solid mid table (other than the big 6). The 3 relegated teams last year had, I think, all been in the Premier League for at least 7 seasons.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He should be

My frustration is that CH needs to believe in himself and the players a bit more.... we are playing in a comfort zone for both the players and the manager. The reason we want to be in the Prem is to test ourselves against the best, so why can’t we do that ... rather than just hoping not to get beat.

CH is more than capable, the players are more than capable.

We just need to believe we can attack and cause teams problems rather than waiting for mistakes. I’m not advocating gung ho attacking style football but I just think when we have opportunities we need to be positive rather than safe which seems to be the current default setting.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
See how things are in November. It will be a tough call for Tony if we are in a Huddersfield stylee predicament. Hopefully we will be a more attractive mid table, which is, I am sure, the plan, with better recruitment.

This.
Hopefully, Dan the Man will come up with the goods.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What sort of trophies do you envisage us winning? We are still relatively new to the Premier League, in only our second ever season at this level., and just staying there has to be our absolute prority at the moment.

Yes, next season it would be nice, with the benefit of a bit of experience, to push on a little bit, but I really can't see us being any more than a mid table side at best. For my money simply finishing no lower than 17th this season represents success. We really do all need to be rea\listic about our capabilities.

WOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Depends, I'm a big critic of Hughton but I'm not entirely convinced there's anyone out there who would be much better. I would be interested to see how we recruit into the 4-3-3 we're playing. He has adapted the formation but the tactics remain drab, defensive and slow.

We need to strengthen the midfield IMO with a defensive midfielder with a good range of passing - Stephen's is inconsistent, his pass to pick out Knocky at Palarse was fantastic but we don't see it enough. I'd like us to be more risky away against the top 6, unless of course we look like we're about to take a big beating. I'd like us to be more aggressive and attacking at home. What we saw against Southampton was unacceptable of the highest order, but the truth is, how we set up was the cause of that shit show.

I'm not completely convinced Hughton has the tactical flexibility to adapt though, but conversely, cannot see an alternative.

This is how I feel. Hughton has done a great job for us but I suspect he hasn't got whatever it takes to get us 'consolidated' (if indeed there is such a thing).

That said, I can't think of anyone that we could get that could take us that step further. There'll be someone out there in Euroland or maybe the Championship but it's probably too big a gamble. For every one that we might pluck out that would do a better job there are probably several that would screw us up

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sometimes you got to be careful what you wish for. The PL is a league which is very differcult to get a lot of satisfaction from as a fan. Most clubs are unlikely to break the top 6 ever bar the odd rogue season. Some clubs in recent times have stepped away from their tried and steady approach and have seen it backfire.
Currently I do not see another manager as good as CH who is actually available or who is likely to come here. In terms of PL wages and PL transfer money we are still a small fish in a big pond. Either division CH is currently the best option available to us.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Once you get past the first season, I don't think that chances of survival increase enough season on season to be able to predict that any club will ever be immune from relegation and be classed as solid mid table (other than the big 6). The 3 relegated teams last year had, I think, all been in the Premier League for at least 7 seasons.

And the 3 who eventually went down showed that clubs are only one bad Managerial appointment away from dropping out of the PL

Mark Hughes
Bob Bradley
Alan Pardew

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
That's the other side of the coin of course. There's a story about Oldham when Andy Ritchie was manager. They were struggling, and at one game "Ritchie out!" chants could be heard. Hearing these one fan turned round and shouted "Shut up you morons! Or we'll get Alan Ball!" There was a pause, and then a chant of: "There's only one Andy Ritchie!"

Also I always remember the sorry (and salutary) tale of Sheffield Wednesday when they sacked Trevor Francis. They were mid-table, but the chairman at the time said "Yes, we're mid-table, but mid-table isn't good enough for Sheffield Wednesday". And this wasn't mid table in the Championship, btw, oh no, this was mid table in the Premier League!

That's pretty funny - but is a stark reminder that we are, Brighton & Hove Albion afterall. We may see ourselves as the biggest, maybe the best, but we're youthful in our premier league status. I want Hughton to succeed because I had the unfortunate experience of dating a Norwich fan at university and well; I want Hughton to prove them wrong but so far he has proven them right (In the prem, that is). Our football in the Championship was great, I know we can't replicate that for all 38 games but why not for the odd few where we're favourites against the teams below us. At least then we can have some entertainment during the season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Chris is the way forward. But I would like to see another coach brought in to help with tactics - especially offensively.

Since Calderwood left, something seems to have changed and we are struggling to move forward. That points the finger at Trollope ( who no one ever mentions ) Has he really got the pedigree to be a solid back-up for CH. I would like to see a young, ambitious, recently retired, top pro come in and cut his teeth alongside CH. Someone all the players can relate to.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Since Calderwood left, something seems to have changed and we are struggling to move forward. That points the finger at Trollope ( who no one ever mentions ) Has he really got the pedigree to be a solid back-up for CH. I would like to see a young, ambitious, recently retired, top pro come in and cut his teeth alongside CH. Someone all the players can relate to.

We got promoted with Trollope as his assistant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We have a playing budget in the PL's bottom six.

We are currently top, of 'the bottom six'. He's doing as well as he can realistically or fairly be EXPECTED to do.

You might WANT him to do better. You might BELIEVE that he COULD do better. But to EXPECT it, is unrealistic.

IMO, like.

That will be the next anguished cry. Get your wallet open Tony Bloom :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He'll have kept one of the smallest teams with the lowest playing budgets in the division up for two seasons in a row. That would be a remarkable achievement.

If we're 10 points adrift come November then review it, but not until then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here