Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assuming we survive, is CH the right man for 19/20?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Let's have a little reality check:

16th in wage budget: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-lead-way-premier-13650048

At this point last year we had one more point, but had played one more game. We managed six points from our last seven games and finished on 40. If we equal that average over the rest of this year, we will end on 40 again. That would most likely be enough to finish higher than our wage budget would dictate.

At this point last year we had just lost in an FA Cup quarter final. This year we have just won one.

The players we have are the players we can afford the wages of. They have achieved standards higher than moneyball analysis would suggest because they are well coached bound together as a group through good man management and play in a way that suits their abilities designed to give them the best chance of success.

This is our second season in the Premier League. Staticians: https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/2019-03-10-pl-predictions.png pundits:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...l-lose-quest-avoid-premier-league-relegation/ and bookmakers https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation all expect us to survive for a third year.

If we do, for the third year running, we will be made one of the favourites to be relegated in 2019/20.

Surviving in the Premier League is hard on the nerves. It's difficult dealing with the psychological shift of moving from being one of the best sides in the Championship to become perennial strugglers in the top division. It can cause people to lose sight of their reality and make decisions based on confirmation bias. When fans do it, it's a forgivable sign of frustration. When owners and CEOs do it... Charlton get rid of Curbishley, Wolves sack Mick McCarthy, West Brom and Stoke both chuck out Pulis. 'We're the big boys now' they say. 'We want better: a manager befitting our elevated status.'

Ask yourself how many teams have made that next step up with the new, upgraded manager. I can't think of a single one that didn't also have a massive financial advantage over their rivals. Then ask yourself should Bournemouth sack Eddie Howe if they don't finish higher than last year? Should Newcastle chuck Benitez? Will Burnley bin Dyche?

Thankfully, we have a very analytical and sensible man in charge of this football club. Tony Bloom won't do anything stupid. He knows that his manager is a big part of the almost unparalleled period of success that the club is currently enjoying. Chris Hughton has found the chairman he deserves. Let's act like the fans he deserves, not the spoiled Premier League 606 callers that we spent the last couple of decades sneering at for their ungratefulness.

This, this and again, this. Good old common sense.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The day that Stoke finishes above us, by 10 points, may be the right time to look for someone different. Until then we should do a Burnley and Newcastle and stand or fall together.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that there is the slightest possibility that CH will not start the season as manager but as to how it plays out I am not sure. If come Halloween we are in a similar position and predicament to now I think that TB will be considering his options as he has spent a lot of money and is essentially a businessman. I believe that Andone and Locadia will provide the goals we want but the TYPE of player we want is a Milner, Sissoko,Jorginho a box to box dominant midfielder to complement Stephens and Propper. I am becoming more disillusioned that Bissouma is that man.

A lot depends on how the players we have bought like Macateer and Tau progress when they return from their loans

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
too early, something needs to change. you have to move forwards otherwise fall behind as everyone else does. i believe Hughton wants to change it up, the recruitment and move to 4-3-3 shows an intent to bring more assertive football. the team doesnt quite seem right, there's a few too many players that are good but dont suit that style. but arent really good enough to play the hang on for 90 minute style either (where making a mistake is very costly). im thinking two or three players/position in particular need to be addressed if we are to make the 4-3-3 work, so if they are we can look forward to a positive 3rd season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I do not think that there is the slightest possibility that CH will start the season as manager but as to how it plays out I am not sure. If come Halloween we are in a similar position and predicament to now I think that TB will be considering his options as he has spent a lot of money and is essentially a businessman. I believe that Andone and Locadia will provide the goals we want but the TYPE of player we want is a Milnerf, Sissoko,Jorginho a box to box dominant midfielder to complement Stephens and Propper. I am becoming more disillusioned that Bissouma is that man.

A lot depends on how the players we have bought like Macateer and Tau progress when they return from their loans

BG, did you mean 'I do not think there is the slightest possibility that CH will NOT start the season as manager'?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't see how this season is worse than last season.
This time last season we had 34 points and were 6 points above the relegation zone with a better goal difference of 3 compared to 18th place. Compared to the other promoted clubs we were 1 point behind Newcastle and 3 ahead of Huddersfield. And we reached the QF of the cup. We didn't secure our PL status until May 4th
This season, we are on 33 points and are 5 points above the relegation zone with a better goal difference of 20 compared to 18th place (so effectively an extra point). We are 2 points behind Newcastle with a game in hand and 19 points ahead of Huddersfield. And we're in the SF of the cup and still with a chance of reaching the final. It's only just turned April and two wins should secure our place with 2 or 3 winnable home games this month.
So, we're doing pretty much as well, if not better, than last season and as well, if not better, than the other two teams in their 2nd PL season.
And our "downturn" in form came when Chris tried a new more attacking 4-3-3 formation.
For my money, Chris is an excellent manager who understands the limitations of his players and tailors tactics accordingly. If we maintain PL status I'd expect us to become more attacking as current players gain more experience and we (hopefully) sign better players. No-one has yet given Chris long enough in the PL to demonstrate what he's capable of with the right players but both Newcastle and Norwich ended up in a worse position after they got rid of him.
So, yes, Chris is the right man for the job whether or not we stay in the PL.

Fair points, but for us, we have invested a few bob in new players since our first season and I think most fans had the reasonable expectations that we would make at least some modest progress this season. It hasn't really happened, our abysmal away form persists and our home form has, of late, been 'wobbly'.
Yes, we are in the semis of the downgraded FA Cup, but to be honest, we have had a relatively easy passage and very nearly made a hash of the quarters.
I'm not being shouty, but more like having a polite grumble. We wouldn't be fans if we didn't disagree or get grumpy now and then, would we?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If we want survival playing a negative brand of football but staying in the league, yes he should stay.

If we want to play an adventurous brand of football, free flowing but get relegated, yes he should go.

I reckon Bloom would go for the first option. Football has moved away from being part of the entertainment industry to being a points industry and points make money and prizes.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve got my doubts about Hughton at the moment but definitely think he deserves more time, at least until Christmas. He is a great man and I love him being our manager but undoubtedly we have some issues at the moment.

What I would like to see is another coach coming in to help him out. None of our players seem to have improved this year individually and as a team we seem to have regressed. We are also incredibly predictable and seemingly unable to resort to a plan B or C.

Maybe a freshening up of the coaching team would help with this?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I’ve got my doubts about Hughton at the moment but definitely think he deserves more time, at least until Christmas. He is a great man and I love him being our manager but undoubtedly we have some issues at the moment.

What I would like to see is another coach coming in to help him out. None of our players seem to have improved this year individually and as a team we seem to have regressed. We are also incredibly predictable and seemingly unable to resort to a plan B or C.

Maybe a freshening up of the coaching team would help with this?

Th FA seem to disagree as they keep calling Paul Devlin up to coach the squad and as has been pointed out we have Sidwell and Rosenior learning the ropes so perhaps they will make their mark. IMHO our recent problems are down to 1 thing GM suddenly showing his age since Christmas .as opposed to September and October. Perhaps you can say that CH has stuck with him starting for too long but as has been said many times he sees the players everyday in training and bases his team on that.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

16th in wage budget: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-lead-way-premier-13650048

At this point last year we had one more point, but had played one more game. We managed six points from our last seven games and finished on 40. If we equal that average over the rest of this year, we will end on 40 again. That would most likely be enough to finish higher than our wage budget would dictate.

At this point last year we had just lost in an FA Cup quarter final. This year we have just won one.

The players we have are the players we can afford the wages of. They have achieved standards higher than moneyball analysis would suggest because they are well coached bound together as a group through good man management and play in a way that suits their abilities designed to give them the best chance of success.

This is our second season in the Premier League. Staticians: https://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2019/03/2019-03-10-pl-predictions.png pundits:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...l-lose-quest-avoid-premier-league-relegation/ and bookmakers https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation all expect us to survive for a third year.

If we do, for the third year running, we will be made one of the favourites to be relegated in 2019/20.

Surviving in the Premier League is hard on the nerves. It's difficult dealing with the psychological shift of moving from being one of the best sides in the Championship to become perennial strugglers in the top division. It can cause people to lose sight of their reality and make decisions based on confirmation bias. When fans do it, it's a forgivable sign of frustration. When owners and CEOs do it... Charlton get rid of Curbishley, Wolves sack Mick McCarthy, West Brom and Stoke both chuck out Pulis. 'We're the big boys now' they say. 'We want better: a manager befitting our elevated status.'

Ask yourself how many teams have made that next step up with the new, upgraded manager. I can't think of a single one that didn't also have a massive financial advantage over their rivals. Then ask yourself should Bournemouth sack Eddie Howe if they don't finish higher than last year? Should Newcastle chuck Benitez? Will Burnley bin Dyche?

Thankfully, we have a very analytical and sensible man in charge of this football club. Tony Bloom won't do anything stupid. He knows that his manager is a big part of the almost unparalleled period of success that the club is currently enjoying. Chris Hughton has found the chairman he deserves. Let's act like the fans he deserves, not the spoiled Premier League 606 callers that we spent the last couple of decades sneering at for their ungratefulness.

Don’t you just hate it when someone, very eloquently, puts into words exactly what you think. I REALLY couldn’t have put it better myself...!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I raise your 'so what with'

a puppy.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
We should consider ourselves lucky and fortunate if Chris is the manager next season.I'm amazed nobody has poached him yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes, well said. Brilliant. I confess that my brain stem and id had begun to snap at my arse these last few weeks.....one thing of which I am certain is that our chairman is a much better strategist (and gambler) than me. Who knew? ???

NSC is becoming a bit third wave, with sensible analysis swamping the amount and influence of grumpy old man/hysterical spotty teenager emoting. Fancy that. :shrug:

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Fair points, but for us, we have invested a few bob in new players since our first season and I think most fans had the reasonable expectations that we would make at least some modest progress this season. It hasn't really happened, our abysmal away form persists and our home form has, of late, been 'wobbly'.
Yes, we are in the semis of the downgraded FA Cup, but to be honest, we have had a relatively easy passage and very nearly made a hash of the quarters.
I'm not being shouty, but more like having a polite grumble. We wouldn't be fans if we didn't disagree or get grumpy now and then, would we?

Yup. I have the "advantage" of not being a season ticket holder and only being able to see a handful of games a season at the Amex so haven't had to endure poor performances in the flesh. However, I think this is the reality of the PL. Even "established" clubs get walloped regularly and one good season for a team is regularly followed by a struggle the next. That's why, great as the PL is, I won't be devastated if we go down. Whatever happens, in the last five years we've seen a quality of player at Brighton we have only dreamt of and a level of performance unsurpassed in my 35 or so years as a fan. AND it's been done without the club completely losing its identity or risking its future.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
You can tell he was a defender as he has us very well organised and disciplined but sometimes the handbrake needs to come off a little and the players allowed to express themselves. I sometimes think his overly cautious approach rubs off on the players which stifles their ability and creativity.

It is often forgotten that along with a lot of our players our manager is relatively inexperienced at this level and is still learning to adapt himself.

I think we may need a more experienced number two or an attacking coach to help him with unlocking premier league defences as we often look like we have no pattern, rhythm or strategy in our attacking play.

In but needs to lighten off the overly cautious approach to every game and get the team on the front foot attacking

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes.

The exception would be if Tony decides to throw big money at player recruitment, maybe then he’ll want another manager. At the level he is investing at I doubt he’ll change unless the results see are permanently in the bottom three.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here