Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Injury Impact

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I have been thinking about what a big part injuries have played in our performances and results this season. I personally believe they have had a bigger impact that perhaps has been discussed. For example:

1. Gross and Izquierdo last season scored or created over 20 Premier League goals between them. This season that figure has dropped to 5. That is a huge percentage of goals that need to be covered by other players.

2. People have rightly said that Gross hasn't been at his best but he brings a subtlety and cleverness that no other player can replicate. Its also no surprise Murray has looked more isolated and has had such poor service given the number of assists and chances Gross provided for him last year. Yes, Gross has played a number of games but he hasn't looked fully fit at almost any point this season.

3. I so often hear commentators and fans bemoan our lack of pace and that is where Izquierdo is such a huge loss. He terrifies teams with his ability to break on them and get in behind

4. As per the point about pace, Andone's injuries and suspensions have been a big issue. When has played he has scored then been unavailable. I.e. West Brom, played well, scored, then got suspended for three games. Scores against Huddersfield, due to start at Palace, gets injured and hasn't been seen since. I know that people will say Hughton could have played Andone more and that might be true but It really hasn't helped the manager how intermittently he has been available.

In my view a fully fit and firing Gross, Andone and Izqueido playing together week in week out would see us a good number of points and places better off. Lets hope we see that next season.

Thoughts?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here