Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 4th Official

abc

Jan 6, 2007
What is the point of the 4th official?

Apart from adding up the extra time is he just there to be a verbal punch bag for unhappy managers? Yesterday the 4th official was aggressively and consistently abused by Warnock but as far as I could tell he just had to stand and take it. No one in normal society could get away with behaving as Warnock did and yet because it was on a football field and the recipient was an official, its seen as acceptable by some and seemingly by the managers at the top of the game.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Why stop at the 4th official? The 2nd and 3rd officials do bugger all as well. Luckily for us yesterday.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Apart from adding up the extra time is he just there to be a verbal punch bag for unhappy managers? Yesterday the 4th official was aggressively and consistently abused by Warnock but as far as I could tell he just had to stand and take it. No one in normal society could get away with behaving as Warnock did and yet because it was on a football field and the recipient was an official, its seen as acceptable by some and seemingly by the managers at the top of the game.

As much as I can't stand Colin Wanker I thought he showed a tremendous amount of restraint yesterday, especially at the final whistle. The two decisions were shocking and he had every right to feel aggrieved. If the 4th official thought that Warnock had overstepped the mark then he would have called the ref over and Warnock would have been sent off. I did love the stand off after the game as Warnock just stared at the ref and then started applauding the fans as soon as they started to boo.

Obviously I don't feel that badly for Cardiff as those two shocking decisions have helped us out massively and they got away with it when Bamba scored the winner a few months ago.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As much as I can't stand Colin Wanker I thought he showed a tremendous amount of restraint yesterday, especially at the final whistle. The two decisions were shocking and he had every right to feel aggrieved. If the 4th official thought that Warnock had overstepped the mark then he would have called the ref over and Warnock would have been sent off. I did love the stand off after the game as Warnock just stared at the ref and then started applauding the fans as soon as they started to boo.

Obviously I don't feel that badly for Cardiff as those two shocking decisions have helped us out massively and they got away with it when Bamba scored the winner a few months ago.

Totally disagree he showed total disrespect to the officials. His press conference after the game was even worse by effectively saying the officials performance was worse than the death of their striker.

I'm not sure if he could sink any lower

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Totally disagree he showed total disrespect to the officials. His press conference after the game was even worse by effectively saying the officials performance was worse than the death of their striker.

I was unaware of the press conference comments, which are totally out of order. But I still think he could have gone and done a full Pochettino at the end of the game and no-one would have blamed him. The award of the goal and the decision not to send off Rudiger could be season defining moments for Cardiff.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
What was really pointless was the additional assistants behind the goals, which was trialled by UEFA and FIFA a couple of seasons ago before being quietly shelved by the governing bodies. With those funny wands and whose sole purpose for ninety minutes was crouching down like an emaicated sumo wrestler trying to take a dump whenever there was a goalmouth scramble.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What was really pointless was the additional assistants behind the goals, which was trialled by UEFA and FIFA a couple of seasons ago before being quietly shelved by the governing bodies. With those funny wands and whose sole purpose for ninety minutes was crouching down like an emaicated sumo wrestler trying to take a dump whenever there was a goalmouth scramble.

I think a lot of this has to do with 'the decision of the ref is final' mentality. This is what's possibly going to bugger VAR - when the ref overrules the good advice he's been given, owing to whims of his own, because he can. That said, the sumo dumpers are an embarrassment - I have yet to see them ever, ever, attempt to influence the referee's opinion. Blatent fouling, offside etc trigger the same response as you get from the cat when explaining the Brexit process.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

They don't do that

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There is a very strong case for having an independent timekeeper and changing the rules so that the ball must be in play for 60 minutes during a match. There are teams such as Burnley who are coached to keep the ball off the pitch for as long as they can during a match for just 54 minutes and 12 seconds on average.

An independed timekeeper would reduce the amount of nonsense that is seen every week as demonstrated by the Southampton keeper (and this isn't pro or anti Albion)

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Not their striker though! According to their lawyers anyway.

#NeverABluebird

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

They are still around in Champions / Europa League :eek:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I was unaware of the press conference comments, which are totally out of order. But I still think he could have gone and done a full Pochettino at the end of the game and no-one would have blamed him. The award of the goal and the decision not to send off Rudiger could be season defining moments for Cardiff.

This is hardly the first time with Colin, and he can be quite charmless, to put it mildly. . .However, football is a passionate game, and he can feel aggrieved at the two decisions, especially the yellow card, as that was not done in a micro-second, as offside decisions tend to be, though this offside was rather more blatant. You just wonder if the top 6 do tend to get the rub of the green rather more . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here