Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who on here thinks they have a good chance of being alive on 1st Jan 2100?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure I saw an article recently, where although most people live longer than previously for obvious reasons, the upper limit has not changed. The occasional person will live to 115 in 1715 and in 2019 but that's still the limit. Its due to genes and cells in your body that are limited for a certain time only.

Last edited:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Life expectancy goes up in the UK by around 2 years per decade, so if trends continue, the average age of death will be 104 for men in 2100.

So assuming the trend does continue, to be alive in 2100 with an average life expectancy, you must be 23 today.

But of course 104 is an average, if you're healthy you could be in your 30's or even 40's and still live to see 2100.

It's unlikely the life expectancy trend will continue though, there are surely going to be scientific advances that may mean it increases exponentially - such as a cure to cancer or dementia, brain or spinal chord transplants, artificial bodies, stem cell advances to grow new organs or limbs, or a discovery to pause or even reverse senescence (ageing).

In the other direction, there could be things that drastically reduce our life expectancies - such as nuclear war, famine caused by climate change, societal collapse, alien invasion.

At the end of the day, who knows. Let's just assume the future is average - if you're 23 and healthy, you will probably live to see 2100. The older than that you are, the less likely it is you will... but you might.

Life expectancy rates have stopped going up in the uk. In fact in some parts of the uk life expectancy has started to fall.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Life expectancy rates have stopped going up in the uk. In fact in some parts of the uk life expectancy has started to fall.

It depends on how wealthy you are.

quote_icon.png
The latest ONS data suggest one reason may be because women in poorer areas of the UK are dying earlier than they used to. Those living in rich areas have continued to see improvements in life expectancy.

https://www.ft.com/content/5726b82c-5085-11e9-9c76-bf4a0ce37d49

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nothing would terrify me more. People forget that living to very old age is basically extended ill health in most cases. Every centurion I’ve met laments all their friends and family are gone and they don’t really understand the world anymore either.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
No point in living that long anyway, because if you have an android mobile and you want to use NSC you will still have to refresh 10 times every 10 minutes.:angry:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
At 140 years of age I would think it unlikely that I will be around in the year 2100 but in the words of Woody Allen my aim is to live forever........... So far so good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the serious question would be, would you want to? unless there is massive revolutionary advance in health care to stall ageing process, the prospect of living to 100, 120, 150 is not that great. my Grandparents have not enjoyed their last years, becoming frail, parts of the body giving out, and unable to do anything they want. a few, very few enjoy a long healthy retirement into 80-90's but this not the norm im afraid, our bodies just arent built for it. honestly hoping euthanasia will be accepted thing in my old age so i can decide when i've had enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here