Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Hughton good enough? - The curious case of Jose Izquerdo

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Cant say i disagree with the OP too much and certainly have had the same conversation with mates over the past few months. We have been poor, very poor in the creative department this season. What is it? 15 or so goals from open play in 30 games? I doubt the club hierarchy would change anything until we really start to struggle and that may be the case next season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This was the topic of discussion in the pub near my sons today and one suggestion was to sack CH in the summer and bring Gus back as the football was more entertaining and he would do well with our latest signings, and they would play better for him.e Not sure that I agree with bringing him back although I loved the football when he was here.
We are above Gus' ceiling.

prawnsandwich

Mar 31, 2019
Solly March was man of the match off the bench in our last game. He took an under-performing side by the scruff of the neck and gave them the dynamism that had been missing. He ran at people. He forced things to happen. He was key to our escape and we wouldn't be at Wembley without him. You being a fan of Izquierdo (although not a big enough fan to look up the correct spelling of his name) doesn't change the fact that Solly deserved his chance yesterday. He was unlucky not to start in front of Knockaert or Jahanbakhsh.

Izzy's pace was not going to be a great asset against a team that was one nil up and sitting back. What we could have done with yesterday was Pascal Gross. Unfortunately he wasn't even on the bench, presumably because of match fitness.

The rest of your post is all over the place. Murray gets selected because he scores goals, particularly at home, not because Hughton has any problem with either of the other two. Jahanbakhsh was being given a run in the side when he got an injury that stopped his progress. Izzy was first choice at the time he suffered the injury against Palace. You have absolutely no idea about how Chris Hughton manages elite players and just seem to be saying things that you have heard pundits say.

The truth is that Hughton, based on his own words, likes to have two players in every position that he would be happy to start in the Premier League. He likes to have some players who will give him different options. He will pick different players for different games.

He not only knows the players levels far better than you do, but he also knows far far more about football than any of us. Trust the man. Don't scapegoat him whenever the team puts in a disappointing performance. What his time at the club has taught us is that there will be very impressive performances around the corner.

Nothing you have said there is unreasonable (and thanks for pointing out the correct spelling for Izquierdo). My overall point was that for the club to evolve, it is likely going to have to take some tough decisions about what progress looks like. The big investment in new players has not been reflected on the pitch, injuries is part of that story, but I do genuinely believe Hughton is reluctant to go with players he doesn't know. March doesn't do enough for me, he's a talented player but would he get into any other team in the PL? I don't think so - he reminds me a little of Adam Lallana - neat and tidy but not enough end product.

This isn't about scapegoating Hughton or March though - I totally understand the loyalty - but the Premier League is brutal, and if we are being honest there has not been enough quality consistently this season. Which is why I am struggling to understand why Izquierdo who offers pace and directness (which is a huge asset in the PL) isn't getting in the team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Gus is laughable. Makes me think this is trolling.

CH is also a good fit for us and we're about where we should be in the league. Let's just focus on beating Cardiff and picking up 3 points or more from the collection of other games. I think we'll do decent business this summer.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That's not a Palace Troll. That's the post of a journalist. The OP is written in a journalistic prose. How sad that they create a profile on a fans forum where they can hide behind annonimity.

Is very much the correct answer, some online rag trying to stoke (no NJ pun) us up for his next article. Palace idiots couldn't string a sentence together, let alone an article.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The club has done brilliantly well under Hughton, but it needs to evolve if it wants to stay and compete in the Premier League.

That has activated both my "get to the next level" and "Charlton" alarms.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
PaLLace troll

PALA*E

P*LACE

PA*ACE

Stop feeding him ffs

Palace troll . Too much to say on your first contribution.

Mods - please delete this thread and permanently ban the OP.

Obviously a Palace scummer shit stirring.

That's not a Palace Troll. That's the post of a journalist. The OP is written in a journalistic prose. How sad that they create a profile on a fans forum where they can hide behind annonimity.

Is very much the correct answer, some online rag trying to stoke (no NJ pun) us up for his next article. Palace idiots couldn't string a sentence together, let alone an article.

As a community, can we please stop this "Palace troll" witch hunt that seems to happen every time a new poster joins and makes a post that might not be written through blue-and-white striped spectacles?

It's really not very friendly and often results in those who have taken the time to join the site, immediately leaving, thinking they made a great mistake.

From the cursory checking I've done, [MENTION=38120]prawnsandwich[/MENTION] is neither a Palace fan nor a journalist, although clearly works in a field where being able to write well is important. Welcome to NSC - please stick around!

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Going back a few years, there was a guy on the Seagulls Mailing List, who used to go into quite some detailed analysis of tactics and formation, only his analysis seemed to bear absolutely no relationship to any game I had seen. It turned out the US based ex-pat, wasn't even prepared to fork out for Seagulls Player and his tactical nous, was based on those running text commentaries the BBC used to put together on the sport website - 37 min attacking throw in left side BHA.

Izquierdo's season has been a write off to date, due to injury and loss of form. We know what he is capable of, based on his performances last season, but he is currently a long way short of his best, as anyone who saw his late appearance against Millwall will testify.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This was the topic of discussion in the pub near my sons today and one suggestion was to sack CH in the summer and bring Gus back as the football was more entertaining and he would do well with our latest signings, and they would play better for him.e Not sure that I agree with bringing him back although I loved the football when he was here.
I think Harry in charge of transfers would finish the job.

Gus did great at Sunderland didn't he?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As a community, can we please stop this "Palace troll" witch hunt that seems to happen every time a new poster joins and makes a post that might not be written through blue-and-white striped spectacles?

It's really not very friendly and often results in those who have taken the time to join the site, immediately leaving, thinking they made a great mistake.

From the cursory checking I've done, [MENTION=38120]prawnsandwich[/MENTION] is neither a Palace fan nor a journalist, although clearly works in a field where being able to write well is important. Welcome to NSC - please stick around!

Not once have I ever accused a new poster of being a Palace troll, I merely agreed with another post re: journo.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. People forget Poyet pioneered the Autumn zzzzz, a calendar event so regular that Garcia and Hypia thought the club insisted on a prolonged spell of no shots or goals each season.

I’d like to see the goals scored per home Championship match, and home Championship win rate, of Poyet versus Hughton. I enjoyed the latter period so much more.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Solly March was man of the match off the bench in our last game. He took an under-performing side by the scruff of the neck and gave them the dynamism that had been missing. He ran at people. He forced things to happen. He was key to our escape and we wouldn't be at Wembley without him. You being a fan of Izquierdo (although not a big enough fan to look up the correct spelling of his name) doesn't change the fact that Solly deserved his chance yesterday. He was unlucky not to start in front of Knockaert or Jahanbakhsh.

Izzy's pace was not going to be a great asset against a team that was one nil up and sitting back. What we could have done with yesterday was Pascal Gross. Unfortunately he wasn't even on the bench, presumably because of match fitness.

The rest of your post is all over the place. Murray gets selected because he scores goals, particularly at home, not because Hughton has any problem with either of the other two. Jahanbakhsh was being given a run in the side when he got an injury that stopped his progress. Izzy was first choice at the time he suffered the injury against Palace. You have absolutely no idea about how Chris Hughton manages elite players and just seem to be saying things that you have heard pundits say.

The truth is that Hughton, based on his own words, likes to have two players in every position that he would be happy to start in the Premier League. He likes to have some players who will give him different options. He will pick different players for different games.

He not only knows the players levels far better than you do, but he also knows far far more about football than any of us. Trust the man. Don't scapegoat him whenever the team puts in a disappointing performance. What his time at the club has taught us is that there will be very impressive performances around the corner.

Regarding Solly let’s not forget it was millwall at the lower end of the championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Their records at Brighton are extremely similar . . . . given our position over the last 2 seasons you'd have to say CH is doing a bit better. It's like comparing F1 drivers of different eras though.

I’d like to see the goals scored per home Championship match, and home Championship win rate, of Poyet versus Hughton. I enjoyed the latter period so much more.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
This year has been a bit tedious at times we are hardly the most exciting side on the planet but to be fair CH is doing very well with what we have.
Andone is his clear favourite if Murray’s not playing but unfortunately he’s spent most the time injured can’t get a run of games. Last year Izquerdo was his 1st choice out wide but again spent most the season injured and he has tinkered with the formation to try and cover the short comings out CM has in terms of lack of pace and being able to impose themselves on a game.
In all honesty we are prob 4 points from being safe especially if we beat Cardiff.
Focus next summer if we stay up must be on actual quality players that are ready to play. The argentine lad looks very good but will take time to settle. If we were to buy just 3 players that will improve the starting 11 rather than the squad we would see a massive improvement especially 2 Cm who can control games better against the lower teams in the division.
CH does know how to play good football his championship side was one of the most exciting teams I’ve watched and we were breathtaking at times especially on the break.
No brained for me at the moment. CH to stay no matter what division we are in but if it’s the PL quality over quantity and time to let some of the old players move on

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Hughton era for me if we compare the championship sides was so much better. We played some breathtaking football in his 1st full season especially after the January signings and the same in the 2nd year. Poyet teams were predictable in the end although when it clicked at times it could still be special. But CH for me all day long given a choice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here