Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is Hughton good enough? - The curious case of Jose Izquerdo

prawnsandwich

Mar 31, 2019
It is important to point out straight away that what Chris Hughton has achieved at Brighton elevates him to the status of legend. He has done an incredible job, but in football the past cannot be a barometer of the current. And despite a season which will include an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, and on paper a good chance of another season of Premier League football, there are a number of issues that are arising this season that need addressing. And they stem from the manager.

In recent years Brighton has invested a significant amount of money in a squad capable of competing in the Premier League. But despite this investment, Hughton often favours players he knows and trusts from the club’s rise from the Championship. The likes of Dale Stephens, Solly March and Glenn Murray remain his trusted lieutenants.

But it is clear from watching Brighton regularly, that they do not create enough chances in the Premier League. There is a reliance on the team structure to grind out results with a cautious and pragmatic approach to attacking.

Of course, for a team new to the Premier League it is unfair to expect anything more expansive in the first two seasons. But the concern with Hughton is that the reason he trusts the players that served him so well from the Championship, is that they fit into his philosophy and style. Players that are likely more talented, but less disciplined seem to struggle to get a run of games.

The case in point is Jose Izquerdo, who despite being fit now for a few weeks, was left on the bench against Southampton in a game that was crying out for his pace and directness. It is mystifying that if Hughton continually prefers March as an option over Izquerdo. Brighton does not have many players that are international class – and despite being erratic at times – Izquerdo is easily one of the most potent attacking weapons at the club.

But this issue goes beyond Izquerdo. We have seen Murray picked ahead of Andone & Locadia for most of the season. Jahanbakhsh has been a recent starter, and despite looking well off the pace at times, has a real pedigree and had he had earlier opportunities may have been able to adapt more quickly.

The concern with Hughton is that there is a disconnect between his ideas and philosophy and the recruitment strategy. Hopefully with the appointment of Dan Ashton, this can improve. But although players like Izquerdo, Andone and Jahanbakhsh have all suffered injury lay-offs this season, it is a fair question to ask how different the attack could look if they all started together.

The club hierarchy has to question why after a significant investment in the squad the manager chose to rely on what he knows. Does it raise questions about Hughton’s ability to manage elite players? And does it raise questions about whether Hughton has taken the club as far as he can?

The club has done brilliantly well under Hughton, but it needs to evolve if it wants to stay and compete in the Premier League. It needs better players to do that over the long term.

By keeping Izquerdo on the bench in a game you desperately need to win and end up losing 1-0 should trigger some uncomfortable questions for the manager to answer. His past achievements and a great cup run shouldn’t paper over the cracks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
This was the topic of discussion in the pub near my sons today and one suggestion was to sack CH in the summer and bring Gus back as the football was more entertaining and he would do well with our latest signings, and they would play better for him.e Not sure that I agree with bringing him back although I loved the football when he was here.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It is important to point out straight away that what Chris Hughton has achieved at Brighton elevates him to the status of legend. He has done an incredible job, but in football the past cannot be a barometer of the current. And despite a season which will include an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, and on paper a good chance of another season of Premier League football, there are a number of issues that are arising this season that need addressing. And they stem from the manager.

In recent years Brighton has invested a significant amount of money in a squad capable of competing in the Premier League. But despite this investment, Hughton often favours players he knows and trusts from the club’s rise from the Championship. The likes of Dale Stephens, Solly March and Glenn Murray remain his trusted lieutenants.

But it is clear from watching Brighton regularly, that they do not create enough chances in the Premier League. There is a reliance on the team structure to grind out results with a cautious and pragmatic approach to attacking.

Of course, for a team new to the Premier League it is unfair to expect anything more expansive in the first two seasons. But the concern with Hughton is that the reason he trusts the players that served him so well from the Championship, is that they fit into his philosophy and style. Players that are likely more talented, but less disciplined seem to struggle to get a run of games.

The case in point is Jose Izquerdo, who despite being fit now for a few weeks, was left on the bench against Southampton in a game that was crying out for his pace and directness. It is mystifying that if Hughton continually prefers March as an option over Izquerdo. Brighton does not have many players that are international class – and despite being erratic at times – Izquerdo is easily one of the most potent attacking weapons at the club.

But this issue goes beyond Izquerdo. We have seen Murray picked ahead of Andone & Locadia for most of the season. Jahanbakhsh has been a recent starter, and despite looking well off the pace at times, has a real pedigree and had he had earlier opportunities may have been able to adapt more quickly.

The concern with Hughton is that there is a disconnect between his ideas and philosophy and the recruitment strategy. Hopefully with the appointment of Dan Ashton, this can improve. But although players like Izquerdo, Andone and Jahanbakhsh have all suffered injury lay-offs this season, it is a fair question to ask how different the attack could look if they all started together.

The club hierarchy has to question why after a significant investment in the squad the manager chose to rely on what he knows. Does it raise questions about Hughton’s ability to manage elite players? And does it raise questions about whether Hughton has taken the club as far as he can?

The club has done brilliantly well under Hughton, but it needs to evolve if it wants to stay and compete in the Premier League. It needs better players to do that over the long term.

By keeping Izquerdo on the bench in a game you desperately need to win and end up losing 1-0 should trigger some uncomfortable questions for the manager to answer. His past achievements and a great cup run shouldn’t paper over the cracks.

paul.barber@bhafc.co.uk

Fill your boots :fishing:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

As I said on another thread - I don't think Izqueirdo is seen as 100% fit, even by his own admission and he didn't look that way at Millwall. I get the impression we are nursing him through to the end of the season to try to get him 100% fit for next.
Maybe I'm wrong and he'll start against Chelsea and play a blinder but either way CH knows what he's doing and you mostly conveniently brush past the injuries to Andone, Locadia and Ali in your post.
And it's always the "other" player who is better than the one we have on the pitch.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
A thought provoking post that I’m sure the hierarchy must surely be considering. The management game in football is all about pushing boundaries. I think Chris has given his all to the cause and we all appreciate that.
However, as a club we want to progress as much as we can. That takes time and at the moment we cannot afford to break the bank nor are we that attractive to the top players and the very best managers.
The naysayers will constantly harp or on about where we have come from and we should be thankful that we still have a club etc etc. I don’t buy into that as times change and we would love to step on to another level.
Keeping Chris as a manager isn’t going bring great football but might keep us ‘safe’ as a club.
Out of interest, any ideas about a realistic replacement for Chris should the club b decide to go down that route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
FFS! Another f**king Hughton out thread?!?

Not like you couldn't have added this to any of the others?

None of us commenting here see the players throughout the week. Who is training well? Who is having an off day? Who has a bit of a cold? Pulled muscle?

Hughton eases players into the first team. We all know this now. Players then earn a place or get rotated or get dropped.

There is no grand f**king conspiracy master minded by Chris to play sh*te and p*ss of the sanctimonious tw*ts on here who think two seasons of Football Manager or an hour playing FIFA makes them qualified to pick the team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was the topic of discussion in the pub near my sons today and one suggestion was to sack CH in the summer and bring Gus back as the football was more entertaining and he would do well with our latest signings, and they would play better for him.e Not sure that I agree with bringing him back although I loved the football when he was here.

Gus’s football at Withdean - breathtaking.
Gus’s football at The Amex - so often, slow passing around the back in relentless triangles, whilst the opposition centre halves smoked cigars as the shuttles-expert tried in vain to pressure them. Hughton’s Championship brand of football was so much better.

Last edited:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Brilliant, for someone to actually imagine that Bloom would ever have Gus within a mile of the Amex, they must have been more pissed than me, and by the end of Saturday night, that would have been some feat!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

Palace troll . Too much to say on your first contribution.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

Really, football was square and backwards.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
A thought provoking post that I’m sure the hierarchy must surely be considering. The management game in football is all about pushing boundaries. I think Chris has given his all to the cause and we all appreciate that.
However, as a club we want to progress as much as we can. That takes time and at the moment we cannot afford to break the bank nor are we that attractive to the top players and the very best managers.
The naysayers will constantly harp or on about where we have come from and we should be thankful that we still have a club etc etc. I don’t buy into that as times change and we would love to step on to another level.
Keeping Chris as a manager isn’t going bring great football but might keep us ‘safe’ as a club.

Out of interest, any ideas about a realistic replacement for Chris should the club b decide to go down that route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paolo Di Canio, obviously.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

The reason why Poyets team at Withdean was so good was it had a PL strike force playing noddy teams like Exeter

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen

Verbose

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here