Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Help needed with freehold query, please.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Wifey and I are looking to buy a flat in a block of 12. Seven of the flat owners own the freehold between them and formed a limited company. The one we are looking at is one of the five that don't have a share of the freehold. Apparently the 7 people who own it had a meeting and decided not to sell any more portions of the freehold to the 5 leaseholders, whose leases have another 108 years to run.
Am I right to feel a bit vulnerable here? Is there any way we could get them to reconsider letting us buy 1/12 of the freehold? How much would this affect the price of the flat that we are looking to buy?
Thank god the flat doesn't have a lift, but does have a communal garden.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Look for a freehold alternative. The lease has the potential to cause you issues in the future and will certainly affect the resale value if you are not able to renew it at a reasonable cost.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah avoid even if not immediately problematic, selling it will limit potential buyers

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
I don’t see a problem myself. The seven owners of the freehold of the building will still be leaseholders, who all have to be treated equally and fairly. There will continue to be 12 leaseholders, albeit that 7 of them own a share or shares in the freehold company, which presumably is also the management company.

I still think that you would be in a better position in this situation than buying a leasehold in a block where the leaseholders haven’t exercised their right to manage and would be at the mercy of a commercial Landlord. I’d rather have some of my fellow leaseholders as the landlord.

There would also be the possibility that the 7 might at some point be willing to issue a share or shares to you, once they have got to know you.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Wifey and I are looking to buy a flat in a block of 12. Seven of the flat owners own the freehold between them and formed a limited company. The one we are looking at is one of the five that don't have a share of the freehold. Apparently the 7 people who own it had a meeting and decided not to sell any more portions of the freehold to the 5 leaseholders, whose leases have another 108 years to run.
Am I right to feel a bit vulnerable here? Is there any way we could get them to reconsider letting us buy 1/12 of the freehold? How much would this affect the price of the flat that we are looking to buy?
Thank god the flat doesn't have a lift, but does have a communal garden.

If you feel vulnerable now, don't do it. It will only give you sleepless nights once you are in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the basic situation is no different to a normal leasehold flat, you own the lease and the freeholder/management company wil take care of communal areas, roofs, drains etc. it just happens some of your neighbours are the freeholder. it odd that not all the flat are shareholders its not significant as a leasholder other than you want be along to managment meeting or have vote on changes - the same as millions of other leasholder flats.

probably worth speaking with the freeholder group/managment company to find out why they wont distribute shares to other flats, might be history with the leaseholders, but i dont really see why it will be a problem.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Better than having an external owning the freehold. The 7 will meet together and decide if something needs repairing which if it affects or inconveniences one of them they surely will look to make improvements. I imagine they have been stung by an individual and want to steer clear until you've been there a while

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
the basic situation is no different to a normal leasehold flat, you own the lease and the freeholder/management company wil take care of communal areas, roofs, drains etc. it just happens some of your neighbours are the freeholder. it odd that not all the flat are shareholders its not significant as a leasholder other than you want be along to managment meeting or have vote on changes - the same as millions of other leasholder flats.

probably worth speaking with the managment company to find out why they wont distribute shares to other flats, might be history with the leaseholders, but i dont really see why it will be a problem.

I think that it only needs a majority of the leaseholders to agree to buy the freehold. It might be that once seven had signed up, they pressed ahead without the others. Alternatively, some of the other leaseholders might not have been supportive, or failed to respond or were simply disinterested.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Better than having an external owning the freehold. The 7 will meet together and decide if something needs repairing which if it affects or inconveniences one of them they surely will look to make improvements. I imagine they have been stung by an individual and want to steer clear until you've been there a while

Surely this. At the end of the day, why not speak to them before backing out. You must like the flat so find out more before walking away from what might be an ok situation.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

probably worth speaking with the freeholder group/managment company to find out why they wont distribute shares to other flats, might be history with the leaseholders, but i dont really see why it will be a problem.

These, with a caveat on the emboldened sentence. The problem that can arise in any F/H shared between the leaseholders of the flats is a total inability to reach a decision to do anything, with the result that nothing gets done. In my experience, problems arise due to a disparity in financial resources of the freeholding leaseholders, &/or a genuine disagreement about the scope of works that should be done, &/or simple personal dislike between them!

Whilst, on paper, it’s very attractive to own part of the F/H, it can end up in a situation where there’s real anger between neighbours.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Be very very careful.

The management company which owns the freehold will have a constitution and directors appointed by the shareholders.

They will have the ability to make decisions relating to maintenance etc without recourse to those who only hold the lease.

I own an investment flat where this has caused a real stink - the management company has decided to ban all residents on the complex from owning pets, with no consultation whatsoever. There’s all kinds of legal stuff going on.

I’m sure other advice on here is well given, but personally I wouldn’t touch that flat with a barge pole. You are also vulnerable to one of the freehold owning flats selling and a dickhead coming in who wants to change things. I’ve experienced that too with another one of my investment properties.

A real minefield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Some fantastic advice here. Really appreciate it. The flat is beyond belief and is virtually unique. The location is to die for. They freeholders run a very tight ship, which prevents anyone from taking liberties. I just don't fancy being at their mercy. Although I don't suspect them of exploiting the situation, people tend to buy freeholds to make money and to protect their own interests. I feel the need to protect my own interests and may not be presented with an opportunity to achieve this.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
What would concern me would be lease extension. Would there be anything stopping the 7 freehold owners extending their own leases to 999 years for £1, but when one of the 5 non-freehold owners ask to extend they would request £££?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What would concern me would be lease extension. Would there be anything stopping the 7 freehold owners extending their own leases to 999 years for £1, but when one of the 5 non-freehold owners ask to extend they would request £££?

IIRC the cost of a lease extension is a calculation based on sqm and ground rent paid, there are many companies who will act on your behalf in leasehold extension negotiations with the freeholder.

If a genuine figure can’t be agreed a tribunal will sit and often find in favour of the leaseholder which means any legal costs will be awarded in favour of leaseholder, this in itself in most cases deters freeholders offering anything other than a “going rate” cost.

One question I would ask is how many of the seven freeholders actually live in the block?

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Bearing in mind Brexit uncertainty and a general stagnation of the housing market, we offered 85% of the asking price yesterday expecting a rejection. Not only was our offer rejected, but the vendor has withdrawn the property from sale.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Bearing in mind Brexit uncertainty and a general stagnation of the housing market, we offered 85% of the asking price yesterday expecting a rejection. Not only was our offer rejected, but the vendor has withdrawn the property from sale.

Having run background checks on you, the Freehold Seven have clearly had a quiet word with your vendor! ��

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here