Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] CH “we weren’t good enough”

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
It's not inexplicable at all. CH got tactically outsmarted on Saturday and that was painfully obvious within 5 minutes of the game starting. They pushed up, compressing the game and with no outlet ball in behind and a flat 5, we couldn't play past the first press. They let Duffy have as much of the ball as he wanted because they know thee guy can't pass for toffee beyond a 5 yard ball to either his CB partner or our RB, but they then pressed in groups against our most effective ball players. We allowed them to do that by starting with the personnel we had and the flat midfield we started with. Saturday's on CH and the fact that he didn't change the shape until the 70th minute is an insult to fans quite frankly.

I think this is spot on. We've seen it a few times lately - stand on the full-backs and close down Duffy, Dunk and Ryan. We have NOTHING in response.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

You've totally contradicted yourself. Go back and read the two bits I've highlighted.

I don't need to go back and read it thanks - I wrote it. You interpret it as a contradiction - it may be badly written - apologies. A high press is a tactical choice. That Southampton dropped deeper after the goal was not a tactical choice I suspect, rather an unintended reaction to the game. Our lack of a high press is a tactical choice - not a result of a lack of effort which I think others were suggesting in their comments - my interpretation of course which may also be wrong. Does that help?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm sorry, but when you settle back and give the opposition the freedom of the park, all you have left is last-ditch blocks on their shots, as we were literally inviting them onto us, into our final third. The workrate and intensity to win the ball back simply wasn't there. The whole team needed to player about 15 yards further forward, get in their faces and apply pressure on them BEFORE they got deep into our half. There was none of that.

Then when we did get the ball, the lack of movement gave us precious little in forward options. Duffy at times was visibly exasperated when he had the ball at his feet and looked up. Invariably he'd either go sideways, or end up playing a 50 yard punt in the vague direction of an isolated Murray, who'd flick it on to no-one, and Southampton would build again. It was dogshit football, and if we repeat it in the next 2 games, then I really fear for us.

Can't argue with any of that. The crowd got angry at the perpetual back and sideway passes, but what was the alternative, when we simply seem to want to defend?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't need to go back and read it thanks - I wrote it. You interpret it as a contradiction - it may be badly written - apologies. A high press is a tactical choice. That Southampton dropped deeper after the goal was not a tactical choice I suspect, rather an unintended reaction to the game. Our lack of a high press is a tactical choice - not a result of a lack of effort which I think others were suggesting in their comments - my interpretation of course which may also be wrong. Does that help?

We haven’t got the players, just now, for a high press. Not every team plays it. A team needs pace almost everywhere to achieve it. If we played that, with Muzza, Jahanbakhsh, Propper and Stephens, we’d be destroyed on the counter.

(Not a criticism of CH).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree with that. We will soon run out of the luxury of having 3 even poorer teams in the PL. It's time to alter strategy/direction a little, and bring in two or three exceptional players, who can influence PL games. Watford is a good example of achieving that, without doing 'an Everton' in bunging £100m's at the problem.

Agree, but there are rumours that a few players have a highest earner clause in their contract. Of those I've heard, the only one I'd want to keep if we were to bring in some expensive (and therefore well remunerated) signings is Dunk and, even then, most clubs don't have CB as a highest earner.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree, but there are rumours that a few players have a highest earner clause in their contract. Of those I've heard, the only one I'd want to keep if we were to bring in some expensive (and therefore well remunerated) signings is Dunk and, even then, most clubs don't have CB as a highest earner.

We’ll never know, but if true, we’ll just have to pay more.

We will eventually run out of luck that there are three shittier squads in the PL. For example, last season Everton and West Ham spent many months in the relegation mix, giving us a wider field of poor teams. This season they’ve both spent incredible sums, buying themselves out of that pool. (I’m not saying we need to do that, just that we’ve competing to avoid relegation with fewer clubs).

The quality of our first team, especially centre midfield, needs to improve markedly next time around.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We’ll never know, but if true, we’ll just have to pay more.

We will eventually run out of luck that there are three shittier squads in the PL. For example, last season Everton and West Ham spent many months in the relegation mix, giving us a wider field of poor teams. This season they’ve both spent incredible sums, buying themselves out of that pool. (I’m not saying we need to do that, just that we’ve competing to avoid relegation with fewer clubs).

The quality of our first team, especially centre midfield, needs to improve markedly next time around.

I'm not claiming inside knowledge, but the three names I've heard that are on highest earner status are Dunk, Knockaert and Stephens. As stated earlier, Dunk is worthy of it, but I really don't think the other two are and, they'd either need to be sold or have their contract rewritten. That's of course if the club's transfer strategy is in line with your thinking, which I agree with.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I agree that I don't think our players lack effort. I just think they're not being given the solutions they need to manage games appropriately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here