Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings Southampton (H)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ryan 6 Disappointed by his tentative approach to the goal because the angle was against Hojbjerg but he had no trouble putting it past our goalie.
Montoya 7 Our genuine man of the match, he is so good when he has room on the right to play into and a team playing on the front foot.
Duffy 6 Not much to do on the day, competent but not really an imposing threat in the Southampton penalty area.
Dunk 5 Not his best performance on the day but there's only so much centre backs can do.
Bernardo 6 A few bad touches and a few rejected chances to bomb on into the space ahead of him. Safe option too often.
Pröpper 5 As poor a performance as he's put in for us, including turning down a chance to shoot from 20 yards in the first half.
Stephens 6 Better than people realise, more important than people care to admit and has fewer options on the ball than he should have.
Bissouma 5 Flashes of his brilliance, the man is going to be fantastic but today wasn't his strongest game in many aspects.
Knockaert 5 Doesn't justify his unquestioned position in the team. Palace goal masks poor performances.
Murray 4 I love the man, and if the team played to his strengths, it would be in the interest of all involved. It isn't, currently.
Jahanbakhsh 5 Totally, totally wasted on the left. Couple of good movements inside but wasted out left.

Subs
March 5 We all saw his performance today, nothing to add.
Locadia 6 A pure number 9 who clearly has game, we should think only about getting the most out of our individuals for the benefit of everyone.

Wembley is a different occasion entirely, we can play on the break which will suit us and the atmosphere will be totally different as well.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ryan 6 - didn’t have a great deal to do
Montoya - 6 better 2nd half and good effort to hit the bar
Bernardo - 6 ok and tried to get forward late on
Dunk - 5 not his best game and had a great chance with a free header
Duffy - 7 gave his all as usual. Solid
Stephens - 4 non existent 1st half and failed to shine
Propper - 3 uncharacteristic performance. Failed to make any impact at all
Knochaert - 6 tried to find spots to attack but too many players behind him and not enough supporting
AJ - 3 poor performance and not sure what he brings to the table as a left winger
Bissouma - 6 cannot fault his desire to want to win and play positively.
Murray - 4 isolated mostly with little to no support.

March 4
Locadia 5

Was really hoping for a positive attacking performance. It didn’t come. Too many of these cautious negative showings against teams who are no bettter than us is a little disappointing

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ryan 6 - didn’t have a great deal to do
Montoya - 6 better 2nd half and good effort to hit the bar
Bernardo - 6 ok and tried to get forward late on
Dunk - 5 not his best game and had a great chance with a free header
Duffy - 7 gave his all as usual. Solid
Stephens - 4 non existent 1st half and failed to shine
Propper - 3 uncharacteristic performance. Failed to make any impact at all
Knochaert - 6 tried to find spots to attack but too many players behind him and not enough supporting
AJ - 3 poor performance and not sure what he brings to the table as a left winger
Bissouma - 6 cannot fault his desire to want to win and play positively.
Murray - 4 isolated mostly with little to no support.

March 4
Locadia 5

Was really hoping for a positive attacking performance. It didn’t come. Too many of these cautious negative showings against teams who are no bettter than us is a little disappointing

I concur with your ratings, other than for Montoya, who many a time naively allowed Redmond to get the wrong side of him, who then had the freedom of Brighton for shots or crosses. 4/10

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ryan -6- poor distribution of the ball
Montoya - 7- some excellent sliding challenges and unlucky with shot against crossbar
Dunk -6- made some good blocks and a very important clearance
Duffy -6- good in the air and made some good blocks
Bernardo -7- some of his touches are class
Stephens -3- slow , laboured and would have been sent off if he made contact with his reckless challenge
Bissoumma -6- best of the midfielders but needs to practice his shooting
Propper -5- slipped when should have scored
AK -5- some decent free kicks put in and wanted to get involved
AJ -4- did nothing of note
Murray -3- isolated or offside

March -6- did ok but Soton did well closing down his crosses
Locadia - 6- unlucky with his shot on the turn

CH seemed to be happy with a draw today was really telling in the 2nd half with GM chasing the ball and all other 10 players in our own half . Far too defensive for a home game

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ryan 6
Montoya 5
Dunk 6
Duffy 6
Bernardo 7 MOTM
Stephens 4
Bissouma 6
Propper 4
Knockaert 5
Jahanbach 6
Murray 3

Subs:
March 3
Locadia

Some poor, nervous performances

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ryan -6- poor distribution of the ball
Montoya - 7- some excellent sliding challenges and unlucky with shot against crossbar
Dunk -6- made some good blocks and a very important clearance
Duffy -6- good in the air and made some good blocks
Bernardo -7- some of his touches are class
Stephens -3- slow , laboured and would have been sent off if he made contact with his reckless challenge
Bissoumma -6- best of the midfielders but needs to practice his shooting
Propper -5- slipped when should have scored
AK -5- some decent free kicks put in and wanted to get involved
AJ -4- did nothing of note
Murray -3- isolated or offside

March -6- did ok but Soton did well closing down his crosses
Locadia - 6- unlucky with his shot on the turn

CH seemed to be happy with a draw today was really telling in the 2nd half with GM chasing the ball and all other 10 players in our own half . Far too defensive for a home game

AJ made some clever passes. I think he's too quick for some of our eyes, used to watching players ponderous on the ball. Needs to beef up a bit though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, it looks like there are serious failings in the coaching/management of the team.

Agree. Whereas Plucky, Palace and Newcastle are greater than the sum of their parts, we are like wet sham, less.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
Ryan 6 Disappointed by his tentative approach to the goal because the angle was against Hojbjerg but he had no trouble putting it past our goalie.
Montoya 7 Our genuine man of the match, he is so good when he has room on the right to play into and a team playing on the front foot.
Duffy 6 Not much to do on the day, competent but not really an imposing threat in the Southampton penalty area.
Dunk 5 Not his best performance on the day but there's only so much centre backs can do.
Bernardo 6 A few bad touches and a few rejected chances to bomb on into the space ahead of him. Safe option too often.
Pröpper 5 As poor a performance as he's put in for us, including turning down a chance to shoot from 20 yards in the first half.
Stephens 6 Better than people realise, more important than people care to admit and has fewer options on the ball than he should have.
Bissouma 5 Flashes of his brilliance, the man is going to be fantastic but today wasn't his strongest game in many aspects.
Knockaert 5 Doesn't justify his unquestioned position in the team. Palace goal masks poor performances.
Murray 4 I love the man, and if the team played to his strengths, it would be in the interest of all involved. It isn't, currently.
Jahanbakhsh 5 Totally, totally wasted on the left. Couple of good movements inside but wasted out left.

Subs
March 5 We all saw his performance today, nothing to add.
Locadia 6 A pure number 9 who clearly has game, we should think only about getting the most out of our individuals for the benefit of everyone.

Wembley is a different occasion entirely, we can play on the break which will suit us and the atmosphere will be totally different as well.

Agree with your comments re:- Montoya … was my MoM too :) and also Propper, by far his worst performance in an Albion shirt :(

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
For me Solly is the new Lua Lua, He reached his level in the championship but the club has left him behind sadly. For me he is nowhere near good enough at prem level im sorry to say. He bottles out of 99% of tackles, and if a player is running at him or after him on the wing generally the other player will get the ball as he slows downs / gives up. I know there are loads on here that love him and I will say he has been ok for the club at times (very few) and will probably score a few lucky goals like he did at Millwall as CH loves him and generally sticks with him. However his crossing and decision making are not great as he lets players get to close for him to cross the ball in and he always shoots straight at the goal keeper. I have heard the stories about how amazing he is in training etc but that don't get 3 points on a Saturday.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For me Solly is the new Lua Lua, He reached his level in the championship but the club has left him behind sadly. For me he is nowhere near good enough at prem level im sorry to say. He bottles out of 99% of tackles, and if a player is running at him or after him on the wing generally the other player will get the ball as he slows downs / gives up. I know there are loads on here that love him and I will say he has been ok for the club at times (very few) and will probably score a few lucky goals like he did at Millwall as CH loves him and generally sticks with him. However his crossing and decision making are not great as he lets players get to close for him to cross the ball in and he always shoots straight at the goal keeper. I have heard the stories about how amazing he is in training etc but that don't get 3 points on a Saturday.

I agree with your general point, but I would add that March is better than LuaLua. Both of them had a quality about them which could impact on games for us, as both did, but overall, the quality of the team overtook them both in turn. If we're going to continue to improve season on season, then we need to be prepared to cut loose the players who are no longer capable of helping us improve. Knockaert will inevitably be the next to be overtaken in quality.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ryan 6 Did what was expected most of the game but was let down for their goal
Montoya 8 MOM the only one, other than Bernardo, who seemed to be trying,
Duffy 6 Easy game for him with no great opposing striker to mark
Dunk 6 as per Duffy
Bernardo 7 Tidy and kept trying to get forward and players to move but failed.
Knockaert 5 Poor game offering little
Propper 4 his worst game for us
Stephen 6 Tried but those around didn't respond lucky not to get 2nd yellow.
Jahakanbahsh 5 Tried 1 to many touches most if the time and lost the ball.
Bissouma 5 Started well but faded too many poor long range efforts
Murray 4 Offered nothing

Subs
Marsh 5 did nothing of note so no improvement when he came on.
Locadia 6 Looked lively and offered more in his few minutes than Murray in 90 mins.

Team performance 5 Poor the best team won because they wanted it more than us.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Through my eyes:

Ryan 6 rarely tested, kicking poor
Montoya 6 calm, better getting forward now
Dunk 6 not an international performance
Duffy 6.5 Solid but no threat when pushed forward
Bernardo 7.5 Bright and wanted the ball in forward areas
Stephens 6 error strewn, recovered mainly but no time in PL for errors
Propper 6.5 I thought he looked bright and capable of creating chances
Bissouma 6.5 is a talent but raw at moment and mistakes are seized upon at this level
Jahanbaksh 6 still waiting for an end product, hindered no doubt by being played on opposite side to last seasons success
Knockaert 6.5 Looked up for it today, full of running, goes missing from wide right position at wrong time.
Murray 5 Never looked like scoring, often won first balls but no one picked up 2nd balls, age catching up fast as lone striker

Subs.
March 6 poor crosses today
Locadia 6.5 looked bright and interested

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Ryan 6 - nothing to do
Montoya 5 - crossing very poor
Bernardo 8
Duffy 7
Dunk 6
Knockaert 5
Stephens 4
Propper 5 - careless
Bissouma 6 - great first half, poor second
AJ 4
Murray 4 - victim of poor service and support

March 4
Locadia 7 - more spark 20 mins than the others in 90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
6 - average

Ryan 6 - nothing to do
Montoya 5 - crossing very poor
Bernardo 8
Duffy 7
Dunk 6
Knockaert 5
Stephens 4
Propper 5 - careless
Bissouma 6 - great first half, poor second
AJ 4
Murray 4 - victim of poor service and support

March 4
Locadia 7 - more spark 20 mins than the others in 90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t disagree with that although 8 for Bernardo a tad generous I feel as he made his fair share of errors, especially first half

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

At least Lau Lau could beat a man , Solly can’t even do that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here