PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium

Date: Saturday 30th March 2019

Kick-off: 15:00 GMT

Referee: Michael Oliver

Assistants: Stuart Burt, Simon Bennett

Fourth official: Graham Scott

TEAM NEWS

Brighton manager Chris Hughton will make a late decision on whether to involve Florin Andone, who has missed two matches with a thigh problem.

Midfielder Pascal Gross remains sidelined by a pulled hamstring.

Danny Ings is in contention to return for Southampton after eight weeks out with a hamstring injury.

Mario Lemina could feature for the first time in 2019 after recovering from an abdominal problem, but Shane Long is still unavailable.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Conor McNamara: These clubs have delivered dramatic finishes in their previous two meetings this season. Charlie Austin's winner in the League Cup came in the 88th minute, and Brighton snatched a draw in the league in September with a stoppage-time penalty from Glenn Murray.

Set-pieces are massively important for Brighton. Chris Hughton's side have scored more goals from free-kicks, corners, throw-ins and penalties combined than any other Premier League team this season.

Southampton hope that James Ward-Prowse's hot streak continues. Only Sergio Aguero and Sadio Mane have scored more Premier League goals than him in 2019.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Chris Hughton: "We're on the back of a good period - two important league wins and of course a quarter-final which has put everybody on a high.

"And initially it is about making sure that we bring everybody back down from that, which is our business. The most important thing for us is Premier League points.

"We have to keep fighting and be as competitive as we can and to think that all of the teams below us are very capable of winning games and climbing out of danger."

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhüttl: "It is a six-point game for sure and can be a big step [to safety], and also to take a point could be an important one for us.

"The last two away games against Arsenal and Manchester United we played a good game without points. It would not be the worst thing to play not so good and take points.

"We are targeting 40 points and we need three wins and one draw, and the sooner we get these points the better."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]All three Premier League meetings have ended as a draw. Brighton recovered from two goals down to earn a point in September's reverse fixture.

[*=left]Southampton won 1-0 at Brighton in the EFL Cup in August and their only defeat in nine meetings came in the Championship seven years ago.

Albion

• [*=left]Albion could win three successive Premier League matches for only the second time.

[*=left]Their tally of six points from the past two league fixtures is as many as they managed in the previous 12 (W1, D3, L8).

[*=left]Eight of their nine league victories this season have come by a one-goal margin.

[*=left]Brighton have scored more than once in only one of their past 12 league fixtures at home: a 3-1 win against Crystal Palace on 4 December.

[*=left]Glenn Murray has scored in all three Premier League matches between Brighton and Southampton, but he has gone seven home appearances without a league goal.

Southampton

• [*=left]Southampton have lost successive Premier League away games - they're yet to lose three in a row on the road under Ralph Hasenhüttl.

[*=left]They have dropped an unrivalled 20 points from winning positions this season, including five in their last three away games.

[*=left]Saints have scored a league-high 32% of their 34 goals from outside the penalty area this season.

[*=left]Charlie Austin has scored a career-high seven goals in all competitions against Brighton.

[*=left]James Ward-Prowse could become the first Southampton player to score in four successive Premier League matches since Jay Rodriguez in March 2014.

[*=left]Only Sergio Agüero and Sadio Mane, with nine goals each, have more Premier League goals in 2019 than Ward-Prowse's six.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Just about to leave for the Amex. I really want three points however they come so we can relax before next week.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I was feeling really positive about today, confident of a 2-0 win. Then I read the bbc match preview...

I think I'll ignore their stats and go with the 2-0 anyway!

:rave:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
For the first time since October my coat and scarf will be stood down from match day duties - it's a beautiful spring day for it today. Bring it on.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Leaving now. Really looking forward to it - definitely need a point, three would be superb. Come on The Albion!

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Total respect for you guys who travel from miles away to every home game, brilliant. 1145 bus for me and a few liveners in the John Harvey pre match. Massive game today, we all need to be up for it. Bring your singing voices along

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
2-2

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Shit week at work this week with the same next week. But it’s glorious spring morning, I’ve two hours of single sculling to look forward too and then (hopefully) three points from the scummers. What’s not to like.

It’s a big week. We could, by next Saturday evening be sat on 39 points with a place in the final .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Taking wifey out soon for her birthday and then back in time for the game.
It has draw written all over it and Austin is bound to score against us as he always does.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Bringing wifey to the game today and although she’s only watched us a few times, she’s never seen us lose! 4 -0 Albion today. :albion2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bringing wifey to the game today and although she’s only watched us a few times, she’s never seen us lose! 4 -0 Albion today. :albion2:

Ditto for me, Mrs Hut in a rare Amex appearance

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
If the midfield get to grips with Redmond & not give away silly free kicks for Ward-Prowse to have a go at we should be reasonably comfortable today. Dont see Saints having too many other threats to be honest so its in our own hands to grab the 3 points and choke Saints mini revival.

Dont expect it to be a comfortable watch but do expect to celebrate a minimum of a draw but realistically a win

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Massive game, shitting my pants, I think for many the importance of this one has gone under the radar due to the Semi Final. A win today could make the rest of the season a lot more comfortable/enjoyable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not going to jinx anything by predicting a win, but I'll genuinely be disappointed if we don't win this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here