Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we beat Bournemouth and Burnley beat Cardiff I think that we could see a more positive performance against Cardiff with possibly a more attacking formation.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Hallelujah to get the best they must be on their strongest foot
I’ve been trying to make this point for ages and get
the game has changed,its out of fashion,move on to the modern game
rubbish the great over the years have always been on their strongest foot
Hinton,James,Tony Towner great wingers

You said it yourself: the game has changed. In the past the point of a centre-mid was to distribute the ball out to the wide players and the role of the wide players was to cross the ball as soon as possible and you'd have 2 strikers in the box to try and convert the cross/ 2nd ball.

These days I would say the main things that have changed are:
1. Wide players have to contribute far more to the possession game (which they can do much better when they're natural instinct is to cut inside)
2. Full-backs want to overlap (granted that isn't happening with us too much at the moment, but Knocky and Bruno's connection in our promotion season was a great example of how well suited an overlapping footballer and winger on their 'wrong flank' are)
3. Full backs are wiser than ever in terms of preparation so if you only have one move you get found out: it's easier to go down the line and put in a cross with your wrong foot than it is to cut inside onto your wrong foot and shoot or play an incisive pass so it's much easier for full-backs to just show a player on their 'correct' side inside onto their weaker foot.
4. Strikers are now expected to do more than just score goals so goals need to come from other areas of the pitch. Wingers cutting in and shooting (e.g. every time Izquierdo gets the ball) is now a crucial part of how to add goals from other areas of the pitch.

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
You said it yourself: the game has changed. In the past the point of a centre-mid was to distribute the ball out to the wide players and the role of the wide players was to cross the ball as soon as possible and you'd have 2 strikers in the box to try and convert the cross/ 2nd ball.

These days I would say the main things that have changed are:
1. Wide players have to contribute far more to the possession game (which they can do much better when they're natural instinct is to cut inside)
2. Full-backs want to overlap (granted that isn't happening with us too much at the moment, but Knocky and Bruno's connection in our promotion season was a great example of how well suited an overlapping footballer and winger on their 'wrong flank' are)
3. Full backs are wiser than ever in terms of preparation so if you only have one move you get found out: it's easier to go down the line and put in a cross with your wrong foot than it is to cut inside onto your wrong foot and shoot or play an incisive pass so it's much easier for full-backs to just show a player on their 'correct' side inside onto their weaker foot.
4. Strikers are now expected to do more than just score goals so goals need to come from other areas of the pitch. Wingers cutting in and shooting (e.g. every time Izquierdo gets the ball) is now a crucial part of how to add goals from other areas of the pitch.
Complicated

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have 10, or so, games left this season.
Solly and Jose might be injured.
AK is definitely playing either hot or cold.

If IF Ali sees out the season, starting the majority of games, some of which are must win some fulfill CH's desire to not lose.

By the end of the season we should be able to form a valid initial assessment on Ali.

I still have no idea why posters are so eager to judge.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If IF Ali sees out the season, starting the majority of games, some of which are must win some fulfill CH's desire to not lose.

By the end of the season we should be able to form a valid initial assessment on Ali.

Circular argument now, but its not like I've anything better to do...

He's made TWENTY appearances. Not three. Not six. TWENTY. He's played on the left, on the right and behind the striker. He's started games, and made appearances against tired defences off the bench. He's played against top six opponents and Championship relegation candidates.

Lots of different scenarios. Lots of opportunities.

You can argue all day long about the conclusions you have drawn from the evidence so far - and that's absolutely correct. But to argue that it is STILL too early to make a 'valid initial assessment', is frankly ridiculous.

And you damn well know it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I've seen enough to think he can still be very useful. Could do better is my assessment so far. Maybe just needs a goal to get things really moving forward for him, confidence is everything.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

7??

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
His career thus far seems to indicate that he takes a while to bed into his new team. The evidence so far suggests that he isn't up to the standard required. To me he seems to be physically weak but also mentally 1/2 a second behind where we need him to be. Personally I would play Locadia on the left on Saturday.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If I haven't said it before on this thread I think I have on another and my opinion is that both he and Locadia have come from a far weaker league and need a year or so to adjust and be able to make a difference in this division. I reckon we'lll start to see the best of AJ next year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I haven't said it before on this thread I think I have on another and my opinion is that both he and Locadia have come from a far weaker league and need a year or so to adjust and be able to make a difference in this division. I reckon we'lll start to see the best of AJ next year.

Agreed, can’t help thinking that he made a mistake not signing for us when we were after him in the Championship

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

He's made TWENTY appearances. Not three. Not six. TWENTY. He's played on the left, on the right and behind the striker. He's started games, and made appearances against tired defences off the bench. He's played against top six opponents and Championship relegation candidates.

You can argue all day long about the conclusions you have drawn from the evidence so far - and that's absolutely correct. But to argue that it is STILL too early to make a 'valid initial assessment', is frankly ridiculous.

It I circular and pointless.

Just like judging a player on 9 starts while refusing to accept any of the caveats I have mentioned.

If IF Ali were to play out the rest of the season most of those caveats disappear and who knows I might become as dismissive and snidey as many others on this thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This.

To which I'd add, in a 40 appearance season, for an expensive signing playing in an attacking / creative position, I'd be looking for a minimum of 10 assists and 5 goals.

Let's be generous, halve the appearances so halve and round down the target. 5 assists and 2 goals needed to be considered doing an adequate job. He has (wait for it [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]....)

........0 goals and 0 assists. And a 70% pass completion rate.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This.

To which I'd add, in a 40 appearance season, for an expensive signing playing in an attacking / creative position, I'd be looking for a minimum of 10 assists and 5 goals.

Let's be generous, halve the appearances so halve and round down the target. 5 assists and 2 goals needed to be considered doing an adequate job. He has (wait for it [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]....)

........0 goals and 0 assists. And a 70% pass completion rate.

Playing in a team who during 2019 have probably averaged 1 shot on target, per game.

Ali is no more responsible for our appalling form than anyone else on the pitch all of whom are answerable to Mr Hughton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It I circular and pointless.

Just like judging a player on 9 starts while refusing to accept any of the caveats I have mentioned.

If IF Ali were to play out the rest of the season most of those caveats disappear and who knows I might become as dismissive and snidey as many others on this thread
You're ALWAYS snidey. A player who is bang average and has it pointed out on here might score a goal, and up you pop with a new thread hailing him as some sort of world beater, particularly snidey at anyone who disagreed over the course of the previous X games. You do it without fail. You seem incapable of accepting that some people don't rate some of our players, however well the point is argued.

I don't think Ali J has played more than one game (Hudds at home) where he looks like justifying his transfer fee. He's not particularly fast, or skillful, and he is one footed as far as I can see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here