Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ted Briggs and HMS Hood.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
One of my earliest memories of moving to Brighton from London was a plumber, who by a fabulous quirk of fate, was in hospital when his ship, HMS Hood, sailed on its last trip. Think there were only 3 survivors? Tragic.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
One of my earliest memories of moving to Brighton from London was a plumber, who by a fabulous quirk of fate, was in hospital when his ship, HMS Hood, sailed on its last trip. Think there were only 3 survivors? Tragic.

Yes three survivors. Ted Briggs, William Dundas and Bob Tilburn. I went to Ted's funeral in HMS Collingwood in 2008. My ex worked with him in 1962 on HMS Loch Killisport in Hong Kong.
I am the secretary of the Hood Association as my Dad served on her from 37-39.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

His name will be on the crew lists on our website.

http://www.hmshood.com/

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes three survivors. Ted Briggs, William Dundas and Bob Tilburn. I went to Ted's funeral in HMS Collingwood in 2008. My ex worked with him in 1962 on HMS Loch Killisport in Hong Kong.
I am the secretary of the Hood Association as my Dad served on her from 37-39.

Good for you. I have nothing but respect for what that generation went through and achieved during the war years.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Good for you. I have nothing but respect for what that generation went through and achieved during the war years.

We still have one surviving veteran, aged 101. He was stoker on the Hood at the same time as my Dad. He is fantastic and still lives on his own.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
23 years old programme and i have never seen before,nothing but respect for these guys. Just go to 40 mins in.:bowdown:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmm22DYp-xY

Thank you so much for posting that. Just spent last couple of hours transfixed.

All the men involved were just so humble and it just shows that the "ordinary bloke in the street" had respect for each other. Ted Briggs took absolutely no joy in the sinking of the Bismarck after the Hood was avenged.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
My great uncle,William Bray,served on the Mighty Hood between the wars,he was "lucky" enough to be transferred to H.M.S. Prince of Wales two weeks before H.M.S.Hood was sunk.He himself was on the Prince of Wales when it was sunk by the Japanese along with H.M.S.Repulse,he was captured and spent the rest of the war as a P.O.W.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My great uncle,William Bray,served on the Mighty Hood between the wars,he was "lucky" enough to be transferred to H.M.S. Prince of Wales two weeks before H.M.S.Hood was sunk.He himself was on the Prince of Wales when it was sunk by the Japanese along with H.M.S.Repulse,he was captured and spent the rest of the war as a P.O.W.

We don't have a Bray on the crew list. Do you have any more details like his service documents or his official number?
http://www.hmshood.org.uk/crew/database/crewDatabaseSurnameInd.php?Surnom=B

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was round at my 88 year old Mums a couple of weeks ago,and something came on the telly about H.M.S. Hood. Out of the blue Mum said" My cousin died on the Hood" I was gobsmacked, she had never mentioned this before. To be honest, I thought it was a bit of dementia or something, I asked her his name, she told me it was Tommy Manton, and he came from Dover. Well, when I got home I looked it up on the interweb,and, it was all kosher, apart from his name , it's Ernest Manton, his Dad was Tommy.
The strange thing is, he was a Cook in the Navy, so was I, and yet Mum had never even mentioned him. My daughter is , in a round about way , named after Ernest,s Mum.
I really don't understand.

Another thing she has recently told me, that is never knew before, was that her Father was born in the Coastguard cottages at Birling Gap. I'm not certain about this one, but, she has said before that her Grandfather was a Coastguard at Eastbourne.

Neither me or my two sisters had ever heard these pieces of family history before.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was round at my 88 year old Mums a couple of weeks ago,and something came on the telly about H.M.S. Hood. Out of the blue Mum said" My cousin died on the Hood" I was gobsmacked, she had never mentioned this before. To be honest, I thought it was a bit of dementia or something, I asked her his name, she told me it was Tommy Manton, and he came from Dover. Well, when I got home I looked it up on the interweb,and, it was all kosher, apart from his name , it's Ernest Manton, his Dad was Tommy.
The strange thing is, he was a Cook in the Navy, so was I, and yet Mum had never even mentioned him. My daughter is , in a round about way , named after Ernest,s Mum.
I really don't understand.

Listed here. http://www.hmshood.org.uk/crew/database/crewDatabaseSurnameInd.php?Surnom=M

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The sinking of HMS Hood was a terrible tragedy. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sinking was avoidable though.

At that time rate of fire was a primary consideration when in action and I'm sure I heard that various watertight doors had been left wedged open in order to get the cordite up from the magazine quickly. I believe a lucky hit ignited cordite in a turret which triggered an explosion in a magazine which blew her apart. Poor souls.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We don't have a Bray on the crew list. Do you have any more details like his service documents or his official number?

I think we do,somewhere,may take a day or two but will send them to you,I remember he was a chief petty officer and gunnery INSTRUCTOR.
Yes, please. We are always wanting details of any crew to make sure our website is accurate.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here