Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Saints

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Couldn't see a thread for this yet.

So it looks like our Internationals have come back healthy which is good news, maybe some good news for Gross and Andone? Touch and go by the sounds of it.

I think the back 5 is now settled and picks itself:

Ryan

Montoya
Duffy
Dunk
Bernardo

Midfield 3 could probably pick itself as well (if Propper is ok):

Stephens
Propper (or Kayal if not fit)
Bissouma

Front 3 is where there could be a surprise, could Izquierdo come in for Jahanbaksh? Knockeart deserves a start and Murray always seem to score against Saints, it's tough on March who made such an impact against Millwall:

Knockeart
Murray
Izquierdo

Subs:
Button, Burn, Bong, Kayal, Jahanbaksh, March, Andone.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Strongest possible team dependant on Injuries

..................Ryan
Montoya Dunk Duffy Bernado
...............Stephens
..........Bissouma Propper
.....Ali J .......................Izzy
...............Andone

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Defence - Agree with the OP about the defence picking itself
Midfield - Stephens and Propper will certainly start if fit. Gross will probably displace Bissouma if he is fit.
Attack - Murray nailed on. Wingers is much more difficult to predict. This might be the first time this season all 4 will be fit. Interesting to see how Chris sees his best option. So question for you all then, how do you rank them? My idea of what should be the pecking order has changed probably after nearly every game this season, Solly has been my 1st and 4th choice at various times, probably Knocky as well. If pushed, I'd go Knocky, Izquierdo, Solly, Ali J. Then you have to think of who is most effective on which side. Tough selection.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Defence - Agree with the OP about the defence picking itself
Midfield - Stephens and Propper will certainly start if fit. Gross will probably displace Bissouma if he is fit.
Attack - Murray nailed on. Wingers is much more difficult to predict. This might be the first time this season all 4 will be fit. Interesting to see how Chris sees his best option. So question for you all then, how do you rank them? My idea of what should be the pecking order has changed probably after nearly every game this season, Solly has been my 1st and 4th choice at various times, probably Knocky as well. If pushed, I'd go Knocky, Izquierdo, Solly, Ali J. Then you have to think of who is most effective on which side. Tough selection.

That is actually a good point about all 4 being fit and available! I think it has only been the last few weeks and really even then Izquierdo hasn't been fully match fit.

I think long term the idea has been for Ali J on the right and Izquierdo on the left, with Montoya and Bernardo in support behind. All have pace so I think eventually we'll see those combinations.

However Knockeart has the shirt and after his performances against Hudders and Palace, difficult to drop him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If Gross and Andone are fit, it will be interesting to see who doesn't even make the squad

So a first 11 of, for example

Ryan
Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo
Stephens
Propper
Gross
Knocky
Izquierdo
Murray

and a bench of

Button
Bruno
Burn
Bissouma
March
Locadia
Ali J

Leaves, Andone and Kayal and Bong not in the 17. Harsh

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ryan

Montoya
Dunk
Duffy
Bernardo

Pröpper
Stephens
Bissouma

Knockaert
Murray
March

Subs : Button, Bruno, Balogun, Kayal, Izquierdo, Locadia, Jahanbakhsh

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agree that wingers is a tough one. I think our best two when fully fit is currently March and Izquierdo, although Jose needs to be eased back in, and I like the idea of him far more as an impact sub if needed, so I'll go with:

------------------------- Ryan ------------------
Montoya --- Duffy --- Dunk --- Bernardo
------------------- Stephens ------------------
------- Bissouma -------- Propper ----------
March ------------------------ Jahanbakhsh
-------------------- Murray ---------------------

Subs: Button, Burn, Bong, Kayal/Gross, Knockaert, Izquierdo, Andone/Locadia

We'll have to watch their press and they can flood players forward at key moments (something Izquierdo especially might be able to exploit on the counter), they're different and better than earlier in the season.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
As much as Solly changed the game against Millwall, his 'goal' was very fortunate and was going out of play. The wingers in that game were poor so it wasn't difficult to improve on them. I am not saying March didn't change the game, but I am not sure he will start on Saturday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As much as Solly changed the game against Millwall, his 'goal' was very fortunate and was going out of play. The wingers in that game were poor so it wasn't difficult to improve on them. I am not saying March didn't change the game, but I am not sure he will start on Saturday.

If your post was directed at me, I'm not sure whether he will either, but I'd like him to. The teams I select tend to be a composite of who will be selected, coupled with who I'd like selected when selection choices are not entirely obvious.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't see Andone starting so going unchanged from Palace at kick-off (which was the Huddersfield starting XI).

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I agree the wing play was poor overall, which is odd considering we tried all 4 of them!

March was by far the best though - his run for the equaliser was pivotal.

I wonder if the poor weather and pitch played a part?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
If your post was directed at me, I'm not sure whether he will either, but I'd like him to. The teams I select tend to be a composite of who will be selected, coupled with who I'd like selected when selection choices are not entirely obvious.

No not direct at you, just that a few people have suggested he should start based on his performance at Millwall. I am a big fan of Solly and would love to see him hold down a position, but as you say it is tricky with the good quality of players we have.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
But let's assume Andone is fit and raring to go. We only play one striker, so we can't really justify 3 of them in the 17.

So we have to leave, either Murray, Andone or Locadia out of the squad. Murray starts at home if he's fit, leaving a shoot out between Locadia and Andone. Personally I prefer Andone, but I can't ignore the fact that Locadia scored, (I'm going to say) two goals when he came on against Millwall, plus he an cover wide positions as well.

I'd also play 2 up front, (dropping Gross or Bissouma from the midfield), which means we could get all 3 strikers in the 17, but we know Chris won't do that.

We're going to be leaving 3 or 4 fantastic players out of the 17

Surprising to see some people leaving Andone out of the squad altogether.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants

Sorry Nathan, got to disagree with you on this one. Solly’s goal might have been meant as a cross, but it certainly was not going wide or out of play,had that been so, then the Millwall keeper would have been credited with an own goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here